WinXP: Installation does nothing?!

I just tried to update from 3.36 to 3.5.1 and started the installed using runas on my WinXP system.

The Install dialog appears and extracts all the files then it is closed and some seconds later some widow flashes for about a tenth second and is gone afterwards.

Then nothing happens anymore and no matter how often I try to install it the result is always the same.

What is wrong? Who can I figure out why the installation just cancels itself?

Having exactly the same problem with Vista 32. Previously had 3.36 installed - that wouldn't run (for some reason) and wouldn't uninstall either - Windows indicated a problem with the installer, so I tried to remove it with WICU, but to no avail.

Installation of 3.5.1 gets as far as extracting files then...nothing.

Ok, here are some more details:

No event log entries are generated

I used ProcessMonitor to debug the loading process:

SFX Installer extracts files and the starts "SetupShim.exe"

Then the windows update service (wuauclt.exe) and wmiprvse.exe takes over and do something

Afterwards SetupShim.exe just exists and the installation ends (SFX installer cleans up)

System:

Windows XP Pro 32 .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed with German language pack

Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4001.5512

Corporate Environment with own WSUS server (don't know the version)

It seems the Program Guard element of "Online Armor" was blocking the execution of "SetupFrontEnd.exe". For some reason it didn't ask me for permission to run it, but after a reinstallation of Online Armor and several reboots, I've now installed the update. So this problem would seem to be symptomatic of a third party app. blocking elements of the installation. Whether that's true in the OP's case is another question.

A stupid security software blocking an installation - an interesting idea. I have some stupid software installed called "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i" which includes an blocking filter for some actions. Unfortunately I can not change any settings of this program - even with local administrator permissions.

In the log file I found an entry saying the execution of "SetupFrontEnd.exe" has been blocked because execution of programs in the Temp directory is not allowed.

Edit: I checked the settings, the log entry was only a warning. No program has been blocked. Therefore this is not the problem...

Then you should probably uninstall it completely. Most "security" software is overly protective, employing methods based on paranoia instead of science.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Sorry but I can't or better I am not allowed to deinstall it.

But I found a way to temporary disable it - result: no change - installation still does not work.

Isn't there a way to execute "SetupFrontEnd.exe" manually from command line? I extracted the SFX installer using 7Zip but just executing "SetupFrontEnd.exe" only shows up a error window saying there was a problem and Windows had to close it.

Which command line parameters do I have to use?

As I rote previously it is not my security software - McAfee does only logging!

But I finally found the real problem:

The Paint.net installer can not be executed via RunAs (different local admin account) or MakeMeAdmin (same account with elevated privileges).

I would consider this a major bug as starting a setup via RunAs is nowadays a quite common way to securely work on Windows XP.

Windows XP is an operating system that is over eight years old. The most recent large-scale update was eighteen months ago. If you're that worried about security, you should get Windows 7.

Rick has stated time and again that he's not going to spend much time fixing compatibility issues with Windows XP, considering that we're two OSes past it in the Windows family at this point.

On a side note, I really do recommend Win7. It's a fantastic OS, far and away better than anything Microsoft has put out before.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

v3.5.2 has the same problem. Who developed that strange setup system?

I start calling a Windows release "Operating System" when SP1 is out.

Before usually neither the operating system nor all the applications I need are stable on the new platform.

BTW: AFAIK the RunAs is still working the same on XP, Vista and Windows 7. There is a high probability that this bug affects all versions. Will test it if I get a chance.

v3.5.2 has the same problem. Who developed that strange setup system?

Clearly it was me.

I start calling a Windows release "Operating System" when SP1 is out.

It doesn't matter what you call it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg