Paint.NET v3.5.1 is now available

If anyone's getting Error 1603 with this update, just change the installation folder to "C:\PDN" (or "C:\Paint.NET" but I'm not sure). See this post for more details.

You can all it "C:\Any name you want" and it'll still work. I'm fairly sure it's due to the staging directory being a subdirectory of the main installation destination

Hi. I'm new in the forum, but I use paint.net for a long time now :)

There's one thing with this new version that brought a tear to my eye. You see, I allways draw with my tabletpc, but there's a problem with this new version. It doesn't set the size with pressure. Just draws like I was drawing with the mouse. I'd like you to fix it, since only that prevents me from using paint.net

It's not a bug, it's the removal of a feature.

What do you mean?

Paint.NET v3.5.1 - Download, released on November 19th, 2009

This update adds a new feature for Windows 7 users, and fixes many small issues that have been found since 3.5's release.

• [*:1sxi9grq]New: For Windows 7, added taskbar progress reporting for long running operations (effects, adjustments, Image->Resize, save, install)
    [*:1sxi9grq]Made some corrections to the French translation
    [*:1sxi9grq]Running setup with /auto will no longer launch Paint.NET when it's done
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed an issue where Paste into New Image would refuse an image on the clipboard, even if regular Paste would take it
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed a race condition with Edit->Paste and Image->Resize whereby it would take up 100% CPU and take between 1 minute to 1 hour to finish
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed an issues with Copy/Paste where it would leave an extra line of transparent pixels on the left, top, right, and/or bottom edges
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed lag with the paintbrush tool that was being seen on some systems
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed some issues with the paintbrush and eraser tool being misaligned when zoomed in
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed a crash that would happen at (seemingly) random times, such as after drawing with the paintbrush tool, on some systems
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed a minor and obscure rendering glitch with the Move Selected Pixels tool
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed an issue with glass over Remote Desktop or Windows 7 Virtual PC
    [*:1sxi9grq]Fixed a minor glitch whereby the "Unsaved Changes" confirmation dialog could never finish rendering the image thumbnail if one of the Move tools was active

Which line says pressure sensitivity of tools in Paint.NET has been removed? Is it bullet point 7, 8 or 9?

Btw, pressure sensitivity which is useful in Tablet PCs, external tablets and touch screens is a very sought-after feature, especially for artists. It is one of the main things that make Paint.NET superior as a free graphics editing software. Without pressure sensitivity, you cannot draw lines on Paint.NET that imitate real brush strokes, and it's only as good as the good ole MS Paint.

~ADTC

pdnsignature.png

CAUTION: This software is super-heated. Keep your hands off the screen while using it.

It was actually removed in v3.5, but I looked at the roadmap and it didn't seem to be mentioned :oops: .

Yea they should be mentioning what was removed, not just what was new and what was fixed. I thought developers do that in roadmaps.

Anyway I will seriously miss pressure sensitivity. But instead of a plugin (it's such a headache to search for a plugin in a forum!) the developer should include it in Paint.NET's installer as a DLL. The setup should ask the user whether the computer they are installing is a Tablet PC (try automatic detection first) and whether they want the pressure sensitivity to be enabled. Accordingly, the setup can install or not install the DLL file along with Paint.NET. Problem solved!

Oh btw, thanks for the information and the sources.

~ADTC

pdnsignature.png

CAUTION: This software is super-heated. Keep your hands off the screen while using it.

Damn I can't believe that feature was taken of.

Btw, pressure sensitivity which is useful in Tablet PCs, external tablets and touch screens is a very sought-after feature, especially for artists. It is one of the main things that make Paint.NET superior as a free graphics editing software. Without pressure sensitivity, you cannot draw lines on Paint.NET that imitate real brush strokes, and it's only as good as the good ole MS Paint.

Totally suported.

Also instead of plugin or something like that, I think the best thing would actually add a "preferences" dialog, where that option would be available. That way if it caused any kind of problems to one's computer, just need to turn the option off.

plugin or something like that

Plugins can't do that kind of thing.

I think the best thing would actually add a "preferences" dialog, where that option would be available. That way if it caused any kind of problems to one's computer, just need to turn the option off.

Rick isn't too keen on those.

From http://blog.getpaint.net/2007/06/01/wha ... -paintnet/

As you may be guessing, this means that “3.Next” will have a Configuration dialog (aka Options, Settings, Preferences, etc.). I have always been fiercely against providing a dialog like this in Paint.NET because they can easily degrade into a buffet of confusing checkboxes, radio buttons, and all sorts of propeller-head idiocy. Sometimes you end up needing a large supplementary manual just for this portion of the user interface
KaHuc.png

(it's such a headache to search for a plugin in a forum!)

Uh, no it's not. All the best and most useful plugins tend to stay on the first 2 pages.

I think the best thing would actually add a "preferences" dialog, where that option would be available. That way if it caused any kind of problems to one's computer, just need to turn the option off.
You're completely misunderstanding why the feature was removed. Paint.NET needed some major architectural changes that the tablet features would have hugely complicated. It was smarter to remove the feature completely, make the necessary changes, and leave open the possibility to bring it back in the future. Had Rick decided to keep it while making these changes, 3.5 would certainly not be done yet.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Plugins can't do that kind of thing.

Hey the idea wasn't mine: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31061&p=277271&hilit=pressure+sensitivity#p277271

You're completely misunderstanding why the feature was removed. Paint.NET needed some major architectural changes that the tablet features would have hugely complicated. It was smarter to remove the feature completely, make the necessary changes, and leave open the possibility to bring it back in the future. Had Rick decided to keep it while making these changes, 3.5 would certainly not be done yet.

I see.

What was the last version with "pressure sensibility" feature?

I'll have to download it again...

I'll have to download it again...

It's not available. See: [rule=7]rule #7[/rule] and [rule=8]rule #8[/rule].

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Read the rules -- focus on #8. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3446

EDIT: Rick, you need a job. Oh, wait.... :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oh ho! I see what you did there!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It's not available. See: [rule=7]rule #7[/rule] and [rule=8]rule #8[/rule].

Oops ok, sorry.

Oh ho! I see what you did there!

Lol, english is not my primary language and in portuguese is said "sensibilidade" which it's the same as sensitivity, but in portuguese lol, I just messed one word with the other.

I used to use the Move Tool :MoveTool: to reverse a selection ( mirror technique) and was perfect in all previous versions, but after v3.5 this technique when I apply it on a selection it leaves a one pixel gap along the axis of mirroring, I think it is hard to explain, so I attached this short

, hope it is clear.

Thanks,..... XP os, SP3, Media Center.

I used to use the Move Tool :MoveTool: to reverse a selection ( mirror technique) and was perfect in all previous versions, but after v3.5 this technique when I apply it on a selection it leaves a one pixel gap along the axis of mirroring, I think it is hard to explain, so I attached this short
, hope it is clear.

Thanks,..... XP os, SP3, Media Center.

Confirmed. Thanks, I've filed a bug.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I've noticed that effects don't automatically use the primary color after the first use anymore. It now remembers the previously used color. Is this a "feature" in v3.5.x, or bug? I personaly prefered the old behavor.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

OK, the default color on the color wheel is up to the individual effect. My plugins, at least, default to the primary color selected by the user.

If Paint.NET was not remembering the previously used color in 3.36, then that was a bug and the new behavior is correct. Pressing the reset button on the wheel will return to the default color, which, in the case of my plugins, will be whatever you currently have selected in the color window.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thanks for the fix with the paintbrush tool. It works great now.

I'm curious what the problem was? If you're willing to share?... I'm a software developer myself.

Oh yeah, is the source still available? I think I remember something way back when, where you said you weren't going to share the source code anymore? Is that true?