How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Where do I put pdbs?

In the Effects folder with the plugin (they provide information to the developer if the plugin crashes).

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Hello. I am having some problems trying to install the Circle Text plug-in. The source that I am downloading it from are the Paint.NET website, and this forum, so I do not believe the source has anything to do with it. I also copy the .dll file and paste it into the proper "Effects" folder. However, once I go into my Paint.NET(Which is 4.0.5), It isn't in the effects tab in the menu-bar. I do not know why, however, but I do believe my Norton could be a problem. I say this since a Norton box comes up, saying that it's analyzing it. After that, It says it is not safe and removes it. 

Hopefully, I can find assistance in diagnosing this problem, so I may successfully and functionally install the Circle Text. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I just downloaded one of the plugins from the forum here and unzipped it ... This file is now in the effect folder of paint.net on the C drive ... When i open paint.net I don't see anything, not in the effects tab nor in the adjustment tab ... Could somebody help me please ? What i have also read is that the DLL files in some cases might need to be unlocked before be able to use them ... As i have a laptop form work and paint.net comes installed by default I don't know if I have the necessary rights with my user profile on this PC ...

Thanks in advance for the help because I really like the program and would like to continue to work with it

Which plugin is it? Is it perhaps under one of the Effects submenus, like Objects?

It's this one ... Or maybe I'm just not thinking straight ... Thanks in advance ! Might be objects or not ... Honestly no idea

That isn't a plugin; it's plugins. So you won't see an effect called BoltBaitPack or something like that. What you should see if you unzipped the file in the Program Files\paint.net\Effects folder, is a number of new effects, such as Effects>Objects>Feather Object.

Edited by MJW

That isn't a plugin; it's plugins. So you won't see an effect called BoltBaitPack or something like that. What you should see if you unzipped the file in the Program Files\paint.net\Effects folder, is a number of new effects, such as Effects>Objects>Feather Object.

I have seen that it are several effects, but they simply don't appear when I open the program ... There is nothing new in the part of the effects ... Can the issue be because I didn't unlock the DLL Files ? As I have read here the unlock might be the solution ... but I can't do this ( See the printscreen below ) Am I doing something wrong ? Thanks again for the help

zuqkpj.png

I don't know anything about Unlock. If no one answers soon, I'll try to figure out what that's about. I hope someone can provide a quick answer.

I do know that Flip.dll is supposed to add two items, Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical, to the the Effects menu.

I looked at the same file on my system, and noticed the Properties has an additional line below the Attributes line. It says:

"Security: This file came from anther computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." It has an Unblock button. This is, I'm pretty sure, what you're taking about.

I can use the plugin under PDN without doing anything with this, but if you have a similar line on your Properties window, you ought to click the Unblock button. I sort of doubt you do, though, since I think you would have noticed it when you got the screenshot of the file's Properties.

EDIT: Check the second Properties tab, Security, and make sure the file has "Read & execute" permission. My theory is that, being a computer from your work, it's set up to prevent newly installed files from being executable, at least by default. So unless you can change the permissions, it can't execute the DLLs. That may be why you don't get the Unblock button: no need to Unblock a non-executable file.

Edited by MJW

I see you're working in a localized OS. (Spanish?)

Find your Paint.NET entry in the Start menu. Right-click on that entry and choose "Properties" from that menu. On the "Shortcut" tab, click the "Open File Location" button.

That should open a window to your paint.net directory. Please let us know where that location is.

Three possibilities if unblocking the DLLs doesn't help...

1. You're trying to install v4 of BoltBaits plugin pack. Are you using PDN4?

2. You're overlooking the installed effects. Do you have a sub menu named "Selection" in your Effects menu?

3. You may have inadvertently copied some paint.net files into the \effects\ folder. Have a look & see if there are any files with "paint.net" or similar in the file name.

4. You may have copied the effect dll's into a folder inside your Effects folder, e.g. a "BoltBaitPack41" folder. Paint.NET cannot access effect dll's that are not copied directly nto the Effects folder.

If this is the case, copy all the uzipped dll's directly into C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects 

Xkds4Lh.png

Hi, I'm new to PDN and installed the BoltBaitPack42, and while the filters do show up, I get the following error message when I click on any of them

This plugin has encountered an error, and must be closed.

Error Details:

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\ColorBalance.dll
      Name: ColorBalanceEffect.ColorBalanceEffectPlugin
      Version: 4.2.5691.27921
      Author: Copyright © 2015 BoltBait
      Copyright: Shift the overall color balance of your image
      Full error message: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.IndirectUI.WindowHelpContentType' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.5.5454.39504, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at ColorBalanceEffect.ColorBalanceEffectPlugin.OnCustomizeConfigUIWindowProperties(PropertyCollection props)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.PropertyBasedEffect.CreateConfigDialog() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\PropertyBasedEffect.cs:line 86
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 910

Other plugins work just fine, so I'm guessing it's about the help file stuff. Any advice?

Edit:

Ahh, mistake on my end. I belied myself thinking that the version I downloaded yesterday that says 'final' is actually the latest. Upgraded to 4.0.6 and everything seems to work now. So, well, if anybody else got the same problem, just upgrade to the newest version.

Edited by Flowerpow

• 1 month later...

There are two types of Plugins - Effects and FileTypes - and there are separate directories for each.

Rut Row.....ok, so, unless a spotlight is shined on a dll file, I thought all .dll files go into the EFFECTS file, not any yellow file that's already IN the effects file, just the effects file with other .dll files showing.

sometimes there are no read me files or if there are they have sometimes given BoltBait's url for how to install it and maybe mention if it includes a .pbd file that it can also go in with the rest of the .ll files because I have a.pbd file in FILE TYPES yellow folder, too.

For anyone who possibly feels sorry for the less techie crowd, such as myself, and should you want to deal with this next blob of blurb, here is what I have in my Paint.net program file:

8 yellow file folders and they are named:

Config

Effects

File Types

Kill Color

Photo****

Resources

Shapes

Staging

TRsSmudger (That one is empty)

The standing along files within that same directory NOT DATED 2015, when I installed the newest 4.0.5 version, below the yellow file folders are many and they are:

Effects-AttillaProPack.Paint.Net.v1.exe (dated 2012)

Interrop.WIA.dll (dated 2005)

License txt (dated 2013)

Paint.Net Plugin Manager X.pdb (dated 2010)

PaintDotNet.Strings.3.da.resources (2014)

PaintDotNet.Strings.3.DE.resources (2014)

a few more other string.resource files (dated 2014)

PdnRepair.exe.config (dated 2014)

SetupNgen.exe.Config (dated 2014)

UpdateMonitor.exe.Config(dated 2014)

Inside my EFFECTS yellow folder, in addition to the numberous .dll files and files that I assume go with particular .dll files that have no extention to them, are:

ShapeMaker QuickStart.pdf

ShapeMaker User Guide.pdf

ClippingsDotNet_Setup.exe

a file simply named "Install.exe" (but when my mouse is hovering over it says Kris Vandermotten.Paint.Net.Install)

MadJikPackSetup.exe

Optiping.exe

Paint.Net Plugin Manager X.exe

PDNInfoView.exe

PSFilterShim.exe

ScriptLab Setup.exe

Twainable (stand-alone).exe

Numerous README.txt files that likely came WITH the plugins

about 6 .xml files

4 .pdb files

and something called "Blp.trash"

I have a number of "Code Lab" files but with different numbers and no extensions.

Also inside my yellow EFFECTS file are 2 yellow file folders

One is called PROPERTIES, and in it are only 5 files; cs, png, and one that ends in .resx

The other yellow file folder inside of the yellow EFFECTS folder is named RESOURCES.

It has a number of .cs files and only one .png file (Twistz.png)

Inside of the Paint.Net program file, itself, is the "FILE TYPE" yellow file folder and in that are 7 .dll files and one .pdb file (CustomBrushesMini.pdb)

Download a copy of the Plugin Index (link in my signature). You will be able to find out where most of these files belong by searching within the Index.

Oh dear. I'm not at all techie, but the only things you should have in your effects folder are plugin .dlls and some have helper files like .dlc and.pbd. No PDF, no text, no .exe, no .xml, no yellow folders.

I think just clear everything out and start over. And what EER said. :D

Your Paint program file is different than mine also. I don't know what Config is. Kill color, Photo**** and TRsSmudge I don't think belong in there.

Luck...

SloppySig.png

Oh dear. I'm not at all techie, but the only things you should have in your effects folder are plugin .dlls and some have helper files like .dlc and.pbd. No PDF, no text, no .exe, no .xml, no yellow folders.

I think just clear everything out and start over. And what EER said. :D

Your Paint program file is different than mine also. I don't know what Config is. Kill color, Photo**** and TRsSmudge I don't think belong in there.

Luck...

You are so kind to have shared some light on this. It was helpful. Photo*** was, in fact, a yellow folder named "Photoshop". I just didn't know if I would get some kind of "naughty point" for it.

I bet, until I straighten my EFFECTS file folder up proper like, but, I bet that's why it has about a 4 to 5 second delay on it when I actually click on the EFFECTS directory, while using PDN, before the long drop down menu reveals itself.

OK, so, using the 2015 .pdf PLUGINS directory is helping me, 90% with the mess going on in my EFFECTS FOLDER.

If there is a file ending in .exe in my yellow EFFECTS FOLDER and if the .pdf 2015 Plugin Directory says it is an "EXTERNAL SOURCE", I'm removing it and putting in a PDN related file folder I created and noting if it is NOT compatable with the latest PDN verson...AND deleting it if a newer version exists, alltogether.

In using that .pdf more in-depth directory I have also discovered two files in my yellow EFFECTS folder were supposed to be put into the FILE TYPES folder, (Optipng.dll and Optipng.exe) However, apparently there is a newer version I'm about to read up on.

That very nicely organized, MORE IN DEPTH, pdf plugin listing of 2015 has been incredibly helpful, because one can search it EASILY.

I just haven't found anything to match the exact wording of the "Twainable (stand-alone).exe" file that was in my EFFECTS folder. So, since it says, "stand alone"....maybe it was on my desktop and accidentally dragged in there when I added some plugins. I've removed it, regardless.

I now will read on this forum trying to figure out where all of my .cs files are to go as to make sure they are where they should be, too.

It's much better than it was, regardless. I plan on conquering this! Guess we're gonna do "take out" today!

I now will read on this forum trying to figure out where all of my .cs files are to go as to make sure they are where they should be, too.

.cs files are Source files, and are only useful for programmers. You could delete those.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hi,

I see, I don't have any Photoshop programs added to my Paint.Net. I just didn't know what that was.

The effects tab in PDN should open instantly and I have a lot of plugins installed. Any PDFs are usually tutorials. I keep a folder with them and any screenshots of tutorials in my computer Documents folder.

Glad you found the plugin directory, yes that should help you a lot. Maybe keep that on your desktop. :)

I shouldn't say that you shouldn't download everything at once. Get to know a few at a time, play with them, get to know how they work. Find a few tutorials, they helped me tremendously to get comfortable with Paint.Net.

Take out sounds good. :lol:

SloppySig.png

.cs files are Source files, and are only useful for programmers. You could delete those.

THANK YOU! I had some in my EFFECTS yellow file folder. I thought maybe they were simply in the wrong folder because I have a number of them in my RESOURCES yellow file folder within the yellow EFFECTS folder. Should I just remove them FROM my EFFECTS folder THEN put them into my RESOURCES folder? Or just delete them out of my yellow EFFECTS folder and do nothing further?

I've deleted about 25 obsolete or incompatable .dll files from the EFFECTS folder, which was very easy to take on and go through with that .pdn 2015 Plugin Listing saying more indepth info. It even told me about various .exe files I had in my EFFECTS file folder. When .exe files were found in the 2015 Plugin directory and listed as: "Type: External Resource", I removed it from that directory. So, again, this helps a lot (or if it is obsolete or if it is a FileType, which I then put into the yellow "FileType" folder.)

The only .xml files inside my yellow EFFECTS file folder are:

PDNPalette.xml

PDNWatermark.EG.madewithpdn.xml

PDNWatermark.EG.Paint.NET_base64.xml

PDNWatermark.EG.Paint.NET_Copyright.xml

PDNWatermark.EG.Paint.NET_User.xml

StewienFilters.xml