How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

I completely understand why the link I initially gave has been removed (my ignorance - no malicious intent, I assure you). But for the record, the substituted link in an earlier post (#1100) hypertexted "Camera Lens Distortion" is not the tool I eventually found and chose to use.

That must mean the (2nd) tool I found is also inappropriate to post - as it doesn't originate via Paint.NET.. Fair enough. Once again, I apologise. I now understand the rules and it won't happen again, But editing my posts the way you have makes it look like I'm referencing and/or recommending something that I'm not.

Edited by HCEarwicker

All the plugins you have found will originate from this forum.  My mistake if I linked to the incorrect one.  

Have a trawl through the Plugin Index and see if you can identify the plugin you found.  Often the plugin dialog will name it (top left corner).  This should be sufficient to id the plugin.  Failing that, the name of the DLL file should be searchable in the PDF version of the Plugin Index. 

Either way, once you have found the correct plugin on the forum - please edit your post above to link to it.

Another apology, David...

The link you substituted:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=7216

IS a link to the simple, effective tool I found and dowloaded. In fact, I'd found that thread when I when I was first looking. I then found 'the Korean tool' (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=26347) - which didn't do it for me - and somehow managed to discombobulate myself about which was which.

If it's ok with you, I'll leave my posts as they are - makes for a good story! So the correct link is in post #1100.

Edited by HCEarwicker

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am trying to install the stipple and dot plugins but cant get either to show up in paint.net

I downloaded them and copied the dll's to the effect folder in paint.net directory and when I start paint.net I do not see the effects under the effects tab anywhere....am I missing something. Please help me! Thank you!

Look in Effects > Artistic for Stipple.

Effects > Stylize for Dots.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i need some assistance please... i have been at this for a 6 months on and off and still cannot figure out why this is happening. there is no direct forum, video or just plain information on the internet. i have downloaded a lot of plugins. and none of them are working. they are put where they should be put and i have reinstalled everything countless time in hope something would change. tried earlier versions of paint.net. different sources for the plugins . everything installs correctly and is put in its proper place for the plugins. yet nothing every shows up on paint. it states when paint is open, under the utilities menu that i have multiple plugin load errors. and for 2 days i had all my plugins working. then  they just dissapeared again to never be seen.. would really like to sort this problem out. i dunno what is wrong. everyone else seems to download, unzip and drop in the program. restart paint and bam! its there.. wish it went that way for myself.

please, some help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Try emptying your /effects/ folder. Install one plugin & see if that shows up. If it does not, post a screenshot showing the /effects/ folder path & contents.

Q: are you installing to the default location or somewhere else?

An installer??  Where did you get that from?

... tried earlier versions of paint.net. different sources for the plugins . ...

Try emptying your /effects/ folder. Install one plugin & see if that shows up. ...

If you have downloaded plugins from anywhere other than this forum (or from a link on this forum), you should look hard for malware on your machine.

Once you do that and you're sure that your machine is clean, follow EER's instructions above.

Just make sure you use  the latest version of Paint.NET 3.5.11 (or 4.0 beta if you like) and that you install the latest version of the plugin, downloaded from this forum or from a link on this forum.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 2 months later...

For those seeking a "readme" reader, easy stuff!

notepad.exe has been part of Windows since the 1980's.  It will read/write text files, html, xml, bat, js, and a host of other text files.  If it's a file that doesn't have a .txt extension, you must click "all files" in the "file open" dialog.  Then, all will be visible.

If the readme has an extension of .wri, or rtf, you could use wordpad.exe.  Also bundled with Windows, for a long time.  This lets the author imbed bold, italics, font changes, font sizes, and other effects.  In fact, if you don't use OLE database and spreadsheet imbedding in your word processing files, it could be a very nice primary word processor.

I have never, in all my life (I'm 66), owned an Apple product.  I can't help you with what Apple uses for this.

To invoke either, either double click its icon, invoke it from the "start" menu, or click "start", then type it in "search programs and files" and press enter.

I hope this helps those who feel keyboard challenged.  We all were there, once.

• 1 month later...
Hi there, 

I am a newbie in this forum and also my english is not very good. That's why I use the translator of Google. 

I have a problem with a plug-in. I have already installed but in the browser plugin "PlugInData.zip" I can not handle multiple plugins. Where do I copy the "PlugInData.dll" to me the browser is displayed. 

I can not get.

ciao

gerd

Copy the dll to Paint.NET/Effects folder. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to search this specific thread for a term? I wanted to see if this question was already asked...

After copying the DLLs to my Effect folder Norton recognizes all of them as a security risk. It says that the items have been removed but I still see them in the folder. However I still can't find Metallize (effects > color > metallize)? Color is not an option in the effects menu nor do I see anything in adjustments.

Norton is notorious for over zealous reporting. The DLLs - so long as you got them from here - should be fine.

Try disabling Norton then install the plugins. Don't forget to enable Norton when you're done.

Hi!

I wonder if someone noticed this:

VirusTotal scan found:   Suspicious_GEN.F47V0825   in   dpy's Plugin Pack (2014-05-04)

I Wanted to try this plugin:   AA's_Assistant.dll  and i just scanned...

Can someone comment on this please.

Thank you in advance.

Hi!

I wonder if someone noticed this:

VirusTotal scan found:   Suspicious_GEN.F47V0825   in   dpy's Plugin Pack (2014-05-04)

I Wanted to try this plugin:   AA's_Assistant.dll  and i just scanned...

Can someone comment on this please.

Thank you in advance.

It looks like a false positive.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello,

I have downloaded BoltBaitPack 4, as in the link provided in above, and followed the instruction accurately,

finally I can't see any effect, just seen 2 plugins in the down list of Effect <Flip Horizontal> and <Flip Vertical>

I did the Unlock for each DLL file, and restarted, again and again, but still the same ...

any solution?

Best regards.

Do you have Dream and Pastel in the Effects > Artistic menu?

Are you using paint.net 4 and the latest version of BoltBait's plugin pack?

Did you download the plugin pack from this forum?

• 3 months later...