How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Hi whenever I upgrade to new versions of paint.net I loose nearly all plugins I downloaded and fonts and have download them all over..it is a pain!  So  now I avoid upgrading to new verions

Sounds for me extremely strange. You make something completely wrong or your PCs filesystem is heavy damaged. I've NEVER lost any plugins or fonts.

Fonts are installed and managed by the operating system, not by PDN.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

@earthangel paint.net does not remove plugins or fonts when updating.

The only thing you might find following an upgrade, is one or two older plugins which might no longer be supported.

Can you give us a specific example of a plugin which is going 'missing'?

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I am the new one. My english is not good. I only have one question. If i load down the updates for paint.net, are there all plugins in it or must i look by plugins. Then i have a problem or should someone write the index in german? :/. Thanks for answer.

An update for paint.net only updates paint.net. Plugins must be updated seperately, if neccessary.

You can send me a PM in german, I'm from Berlin.

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Greetings, I downloaded paint.net 4.0.19 After opening the newly installed program I noticed there is no chroma key plugin under "effects". I am using Windows 10 and after doing some research (reading/watching tutorials, reading forum entries, etc) I am still having difficulty locating the paint.net program files let alone the "effects" folder. I tried creating an "effects" folder, selecting "show hidden files" and other recommendations I have come across in my 4 day attempt to fix this problem. I have the .dll chroma key plugin downloaded and everything...any assistance would be great appreciated :-)

Hey BPP, welcome to the forum.

Did you install the Windows Store version or Classic from the paint.net website?

Follow this link https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

The bit you need to focus on is the second yellow note. The Store version of pdn needs some folders to be created to house third party plugins. Good luck!

You're welcome. I'm very glad you got it sorted. :)

• 7 months later...

Hi,

First things first, as a first time poster: I love paint.net and thank you to everyone involved! That's an amazing software and the plugins are awesome too.

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I downloaded two plugins which have the exact same name (ColortoAlpha.dll). I tried to rename one of the .dll (ColortoAlpha_W.dll, also tried Colortoalpha .dll)  and I do get two items "Color to Alpha" in Effects/Color menu, but unfortunately they are the same plugin (whichever .dll file comes first alphabetically gets repeated twice).

Is there a way I can rename the plugin itself and not just the .dll file?

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I have a plug-in downloaded from the paint.net forum, but I'm unable to follow directions for installing them due to not being able to select Open File Location under the Properties for paint.net.  What do I do?

UNABLE to SELECT little.jpg

1 hour ago, LITMirror22 said:

I have a plug-in downloaded from the paint.net forum, but I'm unable to follow directions for installing them due to not being able to select Open File Location under the Properties for paint.net.  What do I do?

There are special instructions for when Paint.NET is installed from the Microsoft Store.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 1 month later...

Greetings! I've installed Paint.Net and it's great. I've run into trouble installing TR's Alpha Cutter. I read the lengthy instructions on installing plugins and moved all the files into the Effects directory but the plugin doesn't appear on any of the menus. It seems like those instructions are for plugins with DLLs but this one doesn't have any. So please let me know how do I install it. Thanks in advance.

Bryan

paint.jpg

@Bryan Eggers, you've mistakenly downloaded the source code for TR's Alpha Cutter.

Simply return to the webpage for the plugin, and click on the correct link.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/26966-trs-alpha-cutter-v304-april-7th-2014/

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 2 weeks later...

so.. maybe Im just being Extra special.. but I cant find the effects folder.. I HATE Windows 10.. can someone please tell me where I'm supposed to drop these dll files..

Edit: I figured it out.. had to create the folders :) 

Edited by caddiuspriest

8 minutes ago, caddiuspriest said:

so.. maybe Im just being Extra special.. but I cant find the effects folder.. I HATE Windows 10.. can someone please tell me where I'm supposed to drop these dll files..

Edit: I figured it out.. had to create the folders :) 

@caddiuspriest Welcome to the forum :)  Yes, with the store bought you need to make new folders, not so with the Classic version :D

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 4 months later...

Help Newbie here.

Downloaded plugins from forum.  Installed using WIN10 method.

Restart paint.net, no extras in Effects menu, no errors reported in Settings.

What am I missing?