How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

Having some trouble here with unlocking the .dll files to use them, running 64bit vista, but I don't see the option to unlock, anyone have a solution for this?

Right-click the DLL, then click Properties.

Generally, if there is no option to unblock showing, I'd assume that they aren't blocked.

======================

Try this:

Close, then re-open Paint.NET.

======================

Look here:

Utilities > View Plugin Load Errors

If any error reports are present, pls. post them.

======================

Also, open your Paint.NET Effects folder, and make a full screenshot.

It should show the contents of the folder and the full folder path in the address field.

Post the Direct Link, or thumbnail.

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

http://imageshack.us/

Ed Harvey's plugin set requires multiple files. Make sure you install all the files from his download.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Nevermind that, I guess he changed it to be 1 file.

Was there anything in View Plugin Load Errors? What version of Paint.NET are you using?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Nothing in Plugin Load Errors, using 3.5.8, that might be outdated.

I'll check, hold on a minute.

EDIT: no, most recent version.

Edited by Velimas

It may be that you got a corrupt download.

You could try this:

Delete the DLL in the Effects folder.

Delete the plugin zip that you downloaded.

Clear your browser's cache.

Clear Browser Cache

Re-download, and re-install the plugin DLL.

====================================

Downloading using a different browser is also worth trying.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, repair was succesful but plugin still doesn't work.

If you are using Windows 7, here is what happened to me: Extracting the file did not actually put the DLLs in the correct location, instead, Windows ACTUALLY put them in :

C:\Users\[network user]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

I have no idea why it did this. Moving them to the actual Paint.NET\Effects folder fixed the issue.

• 1 month later...

While I have a readme file in my stuff, I'd rather we (plugin authors) could rely on a minimum level of common sense instead..?

Seems much more sensible to me.. especially as plugins are generally written out of the kindness of the developers hearts..

Dean

Hello Dean

Just wanted to let you know that I for one am not computer savvy, I am just beginning to find my way around paint.net. So the little common sense I have will not get me far if I dont know what I am doing....

I had just downloaded some plug-ins and they are all sitting on my desktop as they have no associated files to open them.

Sodo I know what to do next?................sure as bugger I don't!!!

But now I am almost fearful of asking for help, because I don't want somebody like you to give me a lashing because I have no common sense.

Please be a bit kind and realise there are people like me out there just starting to learn, they do say one is never to old to learn new things.

Bernadette..

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using Windows 7, here is what happened to me: Extracting the file did not actually put the DLLs in the correct location, instead, Windows ACTUALLY put them in :

C:\Users\[network user]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

I have no idea why it did this. Moving them to the actual Paint.NET\Effects folder fixed the issue.

that's because Windows 7 (and vista, in this sense) are more secure than previous versions of windows, and the program files folder is, by default, not writable by a process that doesn't have elevated privileges. your WinZip, or 7zip, or whatever decompression program of choice doesn't request elevation, because it isn't normally needed for unzipping files in the userspace, and when Windows sees the write to \program files\Paint.NET\Effects it says "This process can't do that" and to prevent an access denied error, it writes the files to a virtual drive that is visible to the current running decompression program, but no other processes

You know the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Im trying to install optipng on windows 7 ultimate.. When I go to system32/mspaint . the directory dosent open.... so can basically not install it because i can not access the effects

Install it in the Paint.net/Filytypes/ folder (see post 997 above for a link to a how-to-install-plugins tutorial).

NOTE: Paint.net has nothing to do with MS Paint.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it a zipped file? If so you will need to unzip it. These instructions might be clearer: https://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.php

my problem is when i open it it wants to open in IE or paint,it basically makes my comp try to open in over and over,i get a blinking effect and have to control alt delete

Sounds like your file associations are messed up. IE shouldn't be associated with a ZIPped file.

This link may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859 (XP - I took a guess boltbait.smile.png ).