Text crappy in ver. 3.5 ?

I received the update and ever since my text is real choppy? Any Suggestions?

I have the same problem...Go to this link for an explanation. The discussion is neat the bottom of page 6. Hope this helps

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32292&start=75

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Did you read the linked post?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

Well I've read the post, and the "solution" seems to be upgrade your operating system to Windows 7 to fix the poor text rendering introduced in this new version.

Doesn't sound like a very viable solution, does it?

For a program to introduce an update which effectively breaks ALL pdn files which use text created in Paint.Net seems a bit short-sighted; would it not be possible to allow the use of the previous GDI+ renderer in OS's which don't allow the DirectWrite option, regardless of the bugginess or instability of this renderer?

All previously rendered text, such as in old .PDN files, should not be affected one bit by the update. It is text rendered in v3.5+ that will not be of the highest quality. For the most part, this upgrade only damages Windows XP users. While it might not seem ethical right now, down the road as Windows 7 adapation becomes even more widespread and their are less Windows XP users Rick will have the ability to tap into some new, awesome resources. Honestly, if you are using Windows XP then in five years or even less I personally wouldn't expect to have my operating system's name under minimum system requirements.

signature.png

How does this break any PDN files, baloo32? It doesn't. GDI+ was a major source of instability. If you are really passionate about not liking the way GDI renders, then there are several solutions: 1) stop disliking it, 2) upgrade to Vista/Win7, 3) stop using Paint.NET, etc.

And Mike Ryan, how is this unethical? Decisions weren't made with the idea of making people upgrade. The engineering decisions were made with respect to using the best text stack available on the system. DirectWrite simply isn't available for XP, and both GDI+ and WPF are crash happy. The only one left is GDI, and it works just fine.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I only mentioned that it may seem unethical. I had hoped that my post would portray my opinion that I am openly excited about your decisions in regard to legacy system support. I understand that your decision was crafted from a feasibility standpoint in regards to developement, however I had come to an understanding that this benefited the departure from Windows XP support, something I recall you mentioning before as part of Paint.NET's roadmap. If this simply is not the case, than I apologize for assuming such and will retract my statement.

signature.png

Whilst I appreciate this may stand in the way of technological progress; upgrading machines to Win Vista/7, whilst the longer term option, just isn't viable at this time.

I really don't want to stop using Paint.Net, whilst I also use Photoshop and InDesign for mag/ad creation, Paint.Net is just "easier" and is testament to what a really great bit of software it is...

I guess the main issue is people who have upgraded to the latest version, unless they have kept the installer for the older version, will have lost the features now only available in later versions. Luckily I have the original 3.36 installer and have rolled it back to that version until I can get around to upgrading my machine to Win7 :)

Regards breaking, what I meant is that any existing PDN files created which have text on them cannot now be edited in the same way; the fonts render quite differently including anti-aliasing, point size, etc. so making changes either isn't possible or requires re-entering all of the text on a page which uses a particular font so they look consistent.

I look forward to my Win7 install and using the latest/greatest version of Paint.Net...

Cheers

OK, this plus several other issues I am having with Paint.NET 3.5.1 on XP (such as freezing up almost every time I save a picture - the save process finishes, but program then does not respond in any way, so End Task is the only option).

So the question remains, how do I get back to the previous version (3.36)? I was really happy with that version! Is there a download page for previous versions?

TIA for any help!

LeDuc

8) Do not ask for older versions of Paint.NET. This is a corollary to #7, but I'm spelling it out separately anyway. We will not provide download links for them -- you are on your own to find them (hint: try a search engine).

Forum Rules