v3.5 + fonts = blue screen !?

Not sure if this is a windows (Vista) bug or a PDN 3.5 issue, but there is a failure to communicate somewhere in the works.

I'm trying to work on a 31+MB file that has 12 layers (originally a 2MB 600dpi jpg image). It's basic b&w line art, and thus far my edits have just been separating elements to individual layers, with an occasional rotation.

Three times now, when I've added a new layer, selected the Text tool, and started typing, I suddenly get a blue screen saying Windows has encountered a problem. It doesn't happen immediately when I start typing, but probably within 30-60 seconds. (I was using 3rd party fonts - a different one each time it crashed.)

The error message came and went too fast for me to read the whole thing, but I pasted and copied the Windows "report" from the last time it happened:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 1000008e

BCP1: C0000005

BCP2: 9410E55A

BCP3: 855436E0

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0

Product: 768_1

It also referes to a Minidump file, but I don't seem to have a utility capable of reading .dmp files correctly. I tried opening it in notepad and the only part that was readable were a list of system drivers, and the phrase "PaintDotNet.exe." PDN hasn't created any error/bug/crash logs (to the best of my knowledge).

More info that might be helpful:

MS Windows Home Vista Premium SP2

Intel Core2Quad

CPU Q6600 @2.4Ghz

3GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

Any idea what's triggering the BSoD? Work-arounds?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Update:

This was a few days ago, but the forums went down before I could update my post. I tried creating a brand new file at the default settings (96dpi, 800x600 or there about). Same problem. Working on the initial background layer, I selected the Text tool and randomly chose a font. I typed the alphabet and everything was fine. I chose a second font, started typing, and blue screen.

The fonts are not causing problems in any other programs (paint, Open Office Writer), so I think the PDN text tool is the culprit. Has anyone else encountered this?