Problems installing Paint.Net v3.5 (3158_38068)

b.jamin

Howdy,

Have never had any problems updating Paint.net on this Windows XP SP3, Dot.net runtime v3.5 sp1, all patches up-to-date machine all the way up to Paint.net v3.36.

Tried updating in place and then complete uninstall, clean, reboot, install. I've read the (very old) help topic on installation problems and have programmed computers professionally for almost thirty years (so feel free to be technical in your response). Any help will be greatly appreciated,

-b.jamin

The Specifics:

---------------------------

Install Error Message:

(null)

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

at PaintDotNet.Setup.SetupWizard.MainImpl(String[] args)

at PaintDotNet.Setup.SetupWizard.Main(String[] args) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SetupFrontEnd\SetupWizard.cs:line 942

=== Pre-bind state information ===

LOG: User = LAPTOP\{User Name Edited}

LOG: DisplayName = System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

(Fully-specified)

LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/DOCUME~1/{User Name Edited}/LOCALS~1/Temp/PdnSetup/

LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL

Calling assembly : SetupFrontEnd, Version=3.50.3596.41608, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

===

LOG: This bind starts in default load context.

LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\DOCUME~1\{User Name Edited}\LOCALS~1\Temp\PdnSetup\SetupFrontEnd.exe.Config

LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.

LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Did not find a PdnMsiInstall.log or PdnSetupNgenInstall.log in the %TEMP% folder

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

This tells me your .NET Framework may be corrupt. Have you tried repairing it? Reinstalling?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

pyrochild sounds right on the money.

Easiest thing might be to just uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework from the control panel (Add/Remove Programs), and then download+install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... da479ab0d7

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok, that fixed it :D

Thank you to pyrochild and Rick Brewster for their help. I didn't think to check if the 3.5 framework was corrupted because no other .net program was complaining. Un-installed 3.5, rebooted, installed 3.5 with sp1 and I'm back to using paint.net.

By the way, using my (slightly older) copy of PhotoShop in the interim, it's amazing how much I prefer paint.net for many quick operations. Great job, especially considering the vast cost difference :)

-b.jamin