can't extract zipped files

Thanks Peter, I have done that and the good news is I now have the plugin showing in effects as follows:- Draw with custom brushes mini.....

Editable text....

printer+....

That other app...

Upload to......

the bad news is that while the last 4 seem to be fine, the top one doesn't work and just brings up an error message:- File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\CustomBrushesMini.dll

Effect Name: CustomBrushesMini.CustomBrushesMiniEffect

Full error message: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFiles()

at CustomBrushesMini.Helpers.PdnFileTypeManager.Catalogue() in G:\Documents\WorkingCode\upload\CustomBrushes\Helpers\PdnFileTypes.cs:line 24

at CustomBrushesMini.BrushList..ctor() in G:\Documents\WorkingCode\upload\CustomBrushes\Controls\BrushList.cs:line 47

at CustomBrushesMini.CBDraw.InitializeComponent() in G:\Documents\WorkingCode\upload\CustomBrushes\CBDraw.Designer.cs:line 46

at CustomBrushesMini.CBDraw..ctor() in G:\Documents\WorkingCode\upload\CustomBrushes\CBDraw.cs:line 57

at CustomBrushesMini.CustomBrushesMiniEffect.CreateConfigDialog() in G:\Documents\WorkingCode\upload\CustomBrushes\EffectBinding\EffectPlugin.cs:line 50

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 707

makes no sense to me ,but I'm sure it will to most of you.

Betty 2

Hi Betty,

Thats a result! as the plugins are showing up, now they are in the right place..

As long as these special effect plugins are in the \Effects folder they should show up and be active within PaintNet.

If the CustomBrushesMini.dll is in there, it should show up too, I would have thought.

The message you have shown, does mean something to me, but I cant say what the correct action should be...

Other than..... you have this line in your error stuff...

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes'.

If you use Explorer to navigate to the Paint.NET directory, have a look to see if the "FileTypes" folder exists....

It should be there.... just below the Effects folder in the directory structure, and maybe this new plugin needs it................

I expect someone here will be able guide you soon.

Peter :)

Hello,

I am not sure, but somethings seem strange about the error list.....

The paths in the generated statements have three different drives involved....

C:, D: and G:..........I wouldnt have thought that was right.....

Anyway, "Screenshots", I dont have lots of useless things in this PC, but have found that

this..... http://www.windowclippings.com/ is just sooo useful and dead easy to use.

It works alongside PaintNET, you simply run it from the taskbar icon at ANY time you need, then just

frame any part of your screen (always resizeable), right click, and send grabbed image directly to paintNET.

There are probably lots of these utilities about, but this is tiny and works very well......

Peter

Hello Betty

It shows that the dirctory "FileTypes" is not there..... You could navigate in Explorer

To the C:\Program Files\Paint.NET directory....

Click on the Paint.NET directory to highlight it, then right click and select "NEW" and then select "Folder"

A new folder will appear and you should name it "FileTypes"

Maybe the plugin installation is expecting it to be there..... not sure, but it wont do any harm to create it manually.

Close Paint.NET and unzip the plugins you haven't managed to install.

Once they are unzipped, ensure the effects plugins are in the Effects folder, and

any file types plugins are in the FileTypes folder. as before...... see what happens I guess.

Remember, if you want, you can unzip them somewhere else too, and then move them across afterwards...

As Simon Brown says, you can run PdnRepair.exe, you will find it the Paint.NET directory... Either use the start button and "Run"

this file, or use explorer, navigate to it in the Paint.NET directory....Double click it to run it.

Peter

Mmmm, thats a good call, I wondered what that icon was associated with.

Dll's are not normally associated with one particular program.. ?

I would have thought that a .dll designed to be used with a running Paint.NET...

would work.

I cannot say if an installation situation would throw up an error because of it though..

I wouldn't think you should assign the dll to have a single default program opening it, that would

affect all others in the system.....

Peter