can't extract zipped files

Betty 2

I have printed the tutorial 'Fixing An Old Photo' and am trying to download the plugins Threshold and Alpha-mask tool needed for it but when I try to open the files I get a message saying files do not contain icons. My os is vista and browser is firefox. Can anyone help please

Betty2

I have read that topic but I am not getting the option to save to desktop, usually when I download and choose 'SAVE' another box comes up allowing me to choose where to save but this is not happening and it just goes into downloads then I get this

c:\Users\Betty\AppData\Local\Temp1_EdHarvey-Effects-200808 26.zip\EdHarvey.Edfects.Common.dll:Decode error

The File doesn't contain icons

All of that might as well be in a foreign language for all the sense it makes to me. By the way just in case I get this sorted where do I find the Alpha-Mask Tool? Sorry this is so long but at a few weeks from 70 it takes a bit longer to grasp new things these days.

Betty2

Sorry to be a pest but I'm still having some problems. I realise now that I was confusing 'extract' with 'open'. I have now successfully installed Threshold into effects, I also downloaded the pack which contains Alpha- Mask, and evrything in it is listed in the effects file in Computer but is not showing up in paint.net effects, I don't have effects/tools only tools listed at left side of screen but it is not in there. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks for the help already given

Betty2

Any effects you install will be added under "Effects" in the program menu across the top. Depending upon the effect, it may end up in a sub-menu under Effects, but if so, most plugin developers will let you know in the plugin thread where they put it.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Betty 2:

No worries.

At the top row on keyboard is Prnt Scrn key.

Pressing that will load the screen image into the clipboard.

It won't give any indication of having done so.

Next open Paint.NET and hold down the Ctrl key and press V.

Save.

Upload to Imageshack, copy Direct Link and post link here.

See this:

How to Post Images

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Post again if this is unclear.

Edited by Sarkut

^ Make sure you cut/paste all your plugins from Paint.NET/Effects/Effects into Paint.NET/Effects before you delete the second Effects folder, though.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Sorry folks but I am really out of my depth with this, just can't figure out how to do the cut and paste advised here. I am thinking about completely uninstalling PDN then reinstalling now that I understand how to install the plugins ( I think), thanks to the help I've had here. Does this sound like a good move or will it not solve anything

Betty2

Step 1

Inside of this folder:

step1.jpg

Click on any of the DLL files. Press [Ctrl]+[A] to select everything, then [Ctrl]+[C] to copy everything.

Step 2

Click here to go one folder out:

step2.jpg

In the list for this folder, you should see a folder named "Effects", and probably nothing else. Click anywhere in the blank white area under the "Effects" folder in that pane, and press [Ctrl]+[V] to paste all your effects into the outer folder. They should all show up in the folder list.

Step 3

Open Paint.NET, or if it's already open, close Paint.NET and open it again at your earliest convenience. You should now find the plugins in the "Effects" menu.

~ Becoming the Archetype

pdn.th.png

I hope this is the right folder. I have actually found another Alpha-Mask in plugins which does install o.k. I deleted it to do this and I really would like to be able to install this bundle if possible.

Betty 2

Hi Betty,

All the advice here is spot on, may I ask you something..

Do you know how to run windows Explorer and navigate, using your mouse, to

the C:\Programme Files\Paint.NET\Effects folder ?

If you do........, try MOVING the entire contents of the SECOND "Effects" folder (which is below the first)

into the "FIRST" Effects folder...

You can "drag" them one by one, or............. click the first in the listing, press and HOLD down SHIFT (the UP arrow key) then click on the LAST file in the list, this will SELECT and HIGHLIGHT all of them.

Now click AND HOLD the LEFT mouse button, and DRAG the files across to the first Effects folder, releasing the button will drop them in there.........................

It is possible to also "COPY" them this way and "PASTE" them also..... but one step at a time I guess.

Once the files are moved, you can delete the second, now EMPTY,.... Effects folder.....

I am sorry if i am off track, just trying to help

Regards

Peter