Paint.net Uninstalling Itself on Windows 7?!

So I got my new PC yesterday with Windows 7. On the night I installed the latest Paint.net beta. Today I was looking for it and discovered it had...gone? Figuring I had accidentally done something wrong I reinstalled it and found the 3.5 full was now out. So I installed it.

Then 5 minutes ago I was looking for Paint.net again only to find its magically disappeared. Odd thing is it would appear the exe is being deleted. I pinned it to my start menu but now it wont show. When searching for paint.net nothing appears. I located the folder and all the files seem to be there but no executable file. Also it shows in my uninstall list.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Why would it magically be dissapearing? And no my Virus Scanner (ESET NOD32) isn't picking it up as a virus and deleting - I checked.

3.36 is not supported. 3.6 is not out yet.

Let's try to fix problems here, not ignore them, 'k?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm guessing he meant 3.5, not 3.6. The following progression of version numbers wreaks havok on all of us not-completely-non-dyslexic people: 3.3, 3.35, 3.36, 3.5, (3.6). Lots of 3's, 5's, and 6's.

I've been running Win7 x64 almost all year. It's what I use to develop Paint.NET on, and it's absolutely compatible and supported. I do upgrade installs of Paint.NET almost every day with no issues.

The auto-uninstall sounds like it's something else entirely on your system, and not related to Paint.NET.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have googled "windows seven disappearing icons" and it

'maybe', that its an issue, and eventually get an upgrade...

I guess these things are bound to happen with a new OS.

However, in the meanwhile, I found this........... Right click on desktop > View > click show desktop icons

I hope it may help you

Peter

Thanks for all the replies, I've discovered what was doing it and feel like an utter fool now. IOBit the guys who make Smart Defrag also make a tool called Advanced SystemCare Pro which has a scan to get rid of spyware, registry errors and temp files.

As your probably guessing that was the culprit. And most annoyingly about 5 of my apps have had their links deleted not only from my desktop folders (I have specific folders on my desktop for Games, Apps etc), but also from the Start menu. I've manually gone back and created shortcuts to these apps I lost but its bloody annoying. Things like Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 loosing all of its start menu links is pretty irritating as I'm more than certain that came with a bunch of different shortcuts, not just for the Application itself but extra features too - and these shortcuts I'll never remember to get back.

I could go back and reinstall these Apps which is easy for Paint.net, but for things like Sony Vegas and ESET Smart Security its a downright pain in the arse.

So moral of the story - avoid using Advanced SystemCare Pro. Although I'm sure it removed some rubbish it also removed useful links. I'm unsure if this is an issue with it + Windows 7, or for all versions of Windows, but I would personally recommend to stay clear of it. Hope this helps someone for future reference.