Black Gradient Transparency?

Hello fine folks. I've been looking for a way to have a blended edge around some of my images. For example, I have a sprite of a character, but the background is all black and his pixels have a faded, blended edge around him. What I want to do is be able to paste these sprites into a comic of mine and hopefully have them maintain the blended edge while having an otherwise transparent background. So in essence, I want the edges to have an outline of black with no stray or abstract pixels. How would I go about doing this?

Oh you want to remove the black background and add a drop shadow to make a smooth black border around shapes, if it that what you need then use Kill Color plugin and kill the black color (the background) it will give you very good result, then if you need borders just apply the Drop Shadow plugin after that increasing the blur option to get clean edges.

I think Kill Color plugin, the name of it been changed, I will try to find it and post the Link here soon.

EDIT: yes it is Grim Color Reaper plugin

Have a look at this plugin: Alphaspace