Need to replace gradated colors with gradient transparency

I'm absolutely new to Paint.NET, and not even that handy with graphics editors in general. I'll try to digest your reply as best I can, but I may need to ask for a bit more how-to breakdown. Thanks in advance for your patience...

I've been searching the forum and experimenting with the program for just about a couple of hours now, but I'm not finding a thread that exactly addresses my problem. Many come close, but not exact. I don't know the program (nor its concepts) well enough yet to adapt these replies to what I'm looking for, so I find I have to ask.

I'm building a website for which we have an artist sketching some drawings for us on white paper. They'll come to me as .jpg scans. My task for the banner image is to replace the white background with full transparency, with the transparency gradating to color at the same rate as the white gradates to color.

I get bonus points that I'm willing to share if I can do all this without getting the trademark white halo that so often appears when replacing background colors.

I'm attaching the site's banner background image 'Banner.jpg' as well as a second image 'Tree.jpg' that I plan to test with. The tree image seems a good one, as it has plenty of the above-described white/color gradient. If with your assistance I can create a .png with all of the above details we will have won the battle.

In my searching I came up with links to a couple of plugins:

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4394

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31446

Do either of these apply? If any, which would work best to accomplish all this? Naturally any discussion on how to use either of these is lost on me at the moment.

Thanks,

Jeff Bowman

33296_fd47b6cc110b95d98a2112ebc6bd8baa

33296_ec61fc5f60c85329643dcdae9aab96bd

First install the plugin, with Paint.NET closed.

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS

========================================

Next, open your banner file with Paint.NET, click on Effects in the

Menu toolbar, click on Alpha Mask. Checkmark Invert Mask, browse to where

your banner file is kept and click it. OK. Save as .png .

Edited by Sarkut

Because the tree image is on a white background, is anti-aliased, and has some

whitish reflective highlighting it will probably require some work by hand to cut it out

from the background.

The currently 2nd and 3rd items at this link will explain the basics of cutting

out an image.

Link Removed.

Edited by Sarkut