Barbieq25 Gallery - Gallery update 2 new p. 1

barbieq25

three swirl jewels is a charmer all right.

great job.

I can very much see PeterPawn's influence on your work lately. You've been able to mimic his style really well.

just a bit more in the background and you will have the needed depth to display these works to better advantage. Shouldn't be much of a problem for you to make that next leap. even some swirls of light (take a look at the second post under my sword tut) even a little of that back light might work.

truly lovely gallery, I always stop by when I login (don't always leave a message but sure enjoy my visits)

ciao OMA

Thanks Oma!

Peter's style is so much more refined than mine but I am still learning.

3 months since I started & I am happy with most of the results but I am always open to new ideas & appreciate advice on how to improve the quality of my work. Sometimes I can change it other times I am stuck with it but keep it in mind for next time. I have a ring binder beside my desk that I keep tips & tutes in so that I can have it right there. If someone takes the time to help me I take the time to listen.

Again thank you for your help. Very much appreciated!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

@ HELEN, thank you. I like doing that type of image...kinda real but not.

@CSM725, Dragon's Egg was a fair bit of splinter, Shape 3D & polar inversion for the base which is featured on another piece. I like to recycle. There is way too much gone into most of my images for me to explain & most of it I do not remember. All I can tell you is that it is the combination of working through many tutes to learn the basics & then applying the principle to the images. Same goes for the jewels. The settings for the jewels are often Circle Text plugin. You can get it from the plugin section. Just do a search, easy.

Helen's tutes are great for learning how to do the glossy bits! I see you've been working through some of the tutes so you're off to a great start! Sorry, matey but I cannot write a tute on any of my previous images because I don't remember how I did them unless it was a tute itself. There is a possibility of a tute coming up but could be a while.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Wow, your work is really great, I especially like your jewelry :)

By the way, have you heard of Mondriaan?

Your sig looks just like his work :)

Bye Bye PDN!

Thank you for looking at my gallery. All visits are appreciated.

Yes, Piet Mondrian is my hero. I have quite a few works styled after him. My sig is called "Sig After Mondrian". The MB Series are Mondrian Blue & all of the works in the two series are based on the one work that I did. I have done windows & boxes in his style. All done in high performance vinyl. I did a few works & my husband commented how very similar our works were, even before I knew about him. His works are very cool. Even his earlier works.

Very pleased you have made his acquaintance too!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Thank you for looking at my gallery. All visits are appreciated.

Yes, Piet Mondrian is my hero. I have quite a few works styled after him. My sig is called "Sig After Mondrian". The MB Series are Mondrian Blue & all of the works in the two series are based on the one work that I did. I have done windows & boxes in his style. All done in high performance vinyl. I did a few works & my husband commented how very similar our works were, even before I knew about him. His works are very cool. Even his earlier works.

Very pleased you have made his acquaintance too!

Yeah, it's really nice, I live near the house where he was born. That's a museum nowdays, I think you'd love to visit it, it's beautiful

Bye Bye PDN!

Hi Bbq :D . It`s just struck me how little I`ve posted in your thread. Sorry. Of course you know how I admire your work but I really should try posting here more as well. :wink:

That's because we mostly comment on each other's work on fans & yes I know.

Maybe there's a lesson for us all in that. Guess I should do the same with the comments as I do with the updates & just C/P that way I don't have to struggle so much with my dyslexic keyboard.

You're a sweetie!

@Bjarni, yes, I'd love to see it. I challenge you to create a Mondrian style piece :D

@Sokagirl, with your work it would be very easy to create something like it.

Take one of your fabulous pieces & cut a circle or oval, on a new layer make some golden yellow lines diagonal from the bottom. Select only the yellow lines (set selection mode to global but remember to change it back when you're done), Gaussian Blur at about 3, Bevel using a light tanish yellow for the highlight & a darker tarnished golden yellow for the shadow, amount depends on the size of the lines. Since I always use an image 3200 x 2400 (read David Atwell's DPI & you post) & then scale it back to 800 as a png when its done, its hard for me to say exactly. Then use curves (there's a gold text tute that gives you the settings but only do the first one). Then run Polar Transformation (not sure which setting I used but play with it). Duplicate the layer, maybe run some more PT, stretch/play. You may need to move layers down etc or even cut bits. When you're happy with the gold run a Gaussian Blur @ 1 or 2 to clean the image up or use feather (I prefer GB rather than feather - works better for me).

Take a look at Helen's Galaxy Ball tute for ideas on how to do the highlight. If you don't like the colours or think that they dont go well together, use Colour Flip/Rotate. Just make sure that the gold stays on its own layer or the colour flip will be yucky.

I did a Drop Shadow on the gold. The background is Bolt Bait's Fire render. Run a b/w clouds first at max scale, then max scale the fire, then Splinter Blur at max.

Sorry that it isn't in more tute form but I really don't recall exactly what I did.

I hope you'll give it a go & post the results. With one of your pieces it will look awesome!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Hubby is being sent by your shop to purchase me some fantastic original jewlery this Christmas. Watch for him and help him pick me out something special.

I love all your jewlery pieces and can't decide which is my fav. You are killing me girl. So many choices and I love them all. Oh what the hay I'll just say they are all fav's and should be displayed in the galleria.

ciao OMA

Re the sig: Welshy, I nearly had a cow. Thought my pc was dying :lol:

Glad you like it. Mirror & powder, hmmm...that's out of the box!

Stepson, Brandon has got the bug & after watching & advising, encouraging for the past 3 months, he's decided to join the main forum & enter the comp. He's been using GIMP at school & loves his art.

@Bjarni, you did very well...don't know why this thread hadn't been showing up but saw it on others. Will pop over to the abstracts thread & take a peek shortly. Do you have a gallery of your own here? Piet would be pleased I think.

Helen & Aislin thank you very much. Pleased you like...

Oma, that is wicked...poor hubby! I wish I could get it made into jewellry. It would cost the earth...

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Here is the first work in the series. Bit of a story to go with it.

th_YllasTears.png

Ylla looks out from her beautiful glass room into her garden. Water splashes over the the roof & down the walls. This is her favourite room. She has set two chairs by the glass door. She will sit & look with the stranger from her dark disturbing dreams. She can already see the tears they will shed for what is yet to come. The end has begun. Two worlds. Inevitable & futile. Again she cries for them both.

I'll add more as I get them done. 2 today & my brain is fried...:lol: almost literally!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Great idea for the Post cards from Mars. I can't wait to see more of this idea. Fire and Ice is really cool. No pun intended :lol: Your entry for the Speed contest is great. Very well done.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE