Barbieq25 Gallery - Gallery update 2 new p. 1

barbieq25

Thanks all for taking the time to pop in & see my new works & giving me some feedback.

Firstly, Welshy, the name is a bit nonsensical but here is where I was going with this: synapses are like the little electrical impulses that make the brain work (just a rough analogy, trust me you don't want the technical version but you can Google it :) ) An occlusion is a complete blocking off e.g. a blood vessel.

I was having one of those days where I had to think for everyone else including "P" plate drivers, & just generally people that had slipped their brains into neutral. Hence the name. The idea came from a pattern on a blouse.

Red Ochre - actually thanks for your plugins that helped me to make these 2 images. The flower was made using you moveable gradients galore, & then some psycho colour :) The background owes a lot of Bolt Bait's Lomography.

I'd like to put these in the "this is what these plugins can do" if you think that would be ok?

The Laverha turns heads wherever it goes. Loud, bold & very Mad Max I think. I love to hear the startup. Then it grumbles, just wanting to go, go go! I think there is a Youtube of this:

that was before it was complete.

Helen, I'd be happy for you to have the flowers.

Zeri, I cannot see that extra shadow. Is it one the red part? If so it isn't a shadow but part of the pattern.

Pixey, Pansylicious - I like that. I will rename it. I find it funny because one of the women at work call me barbielicious. She has pet names (most of them are nice :) ) for all of us...

Welshy, I find the flower work upbuilding to create. It is good to know that the emotion comes across for the viewer.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Great work again Barbieq, I love how you come up with you inspirational ideas you have a real talent. Was thinking of an idea for a comp where all the contestants get paired with each other randomly and they then have to enter a design based on their partners style, if it happened I would love to get you as creating one of your works would be a great experience.

Love the low growl of the bike sounds as though it could stall at any moment and is just waiting for that throttle to be opened up. :)

• Upvote 1

The piece, "Synaptic Occlusion" is pretty cool. One of the features I noticed about it was how the drop shadow seems to be applied. I noted that it didn't exist for the whole of the connected segments. This isn't a critique against it, but rather a comment about how it gives the appearance that the center background area seems to drop down and away from those segments. Nicely done.

The untitiled flower (or I guess you're calling it "pansylicious" now) is pretty cool too (I like it over the other - but don't ask me why because I don't know why). :)

Thanks Jim. Yes, just the centre has the shadow because the rest is covered with coloured "glass"

The Pansylicious I think has an Oriental feel. Must be the happy pink & purple colours.

Jim, from the Mastering PDN thread: What is a Nook?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Two gorgeous designs, one is so pleasing and the other one I feel I am lost in it, we still have a problem with the Bevel Selection, I can see that clearly in Syaptic Occlusion, don't get me wrong barbie, I am just discussing the plugin technically here, it doesn't bother me in the wiring at all, I feel like i'ts something required for the design and part of it, great work again.

Red Ochre - actually thanks for your plugins that helped me to make these 2 images. The flower was made using you moveable gradients galore, & then some psycho colour The background owes a lot of Bolt Bait's Lomography.

I'd like to put these in the "this is what these plugins can do" if you think that would be ok?

Glad you’re using the plugins, (particularly psychocolour – I love it, but thought I was the only one, like the proud parent of an ugly child! :D ). Not sure what "this is what these plugins can do" is ?, but it’s fine by me what-ever, [hope it’s good] – They’ve been released into the wild now and must make their own way in cyberspace.

The bike sounds nice and ‘throaty’.... So is there a ‘Yamerda’ lurking at the back of the garage? ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Two gorgeous designs, one is so pleasing and the other one I feel I am lost in it, we still have a problem with the Bevel Selection, I can see that clearly in Syaptic Occlusion, don't get me wrong barbie, I am just discussing the plugin technically here, it doesn't bother me in the wiring at all, I feel like i'ts something required for the design and part of it, great work again.

Yep it still makes things jaggy but I thought it was more to do with the selection process than the bevel?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Yes, Helen. The sig is like lighting a candle for this little girl: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9586248/April-Jones-missing-five-year-old-in-Wales-live.html

Welshy & I don't pray but those of you who do, pray for this little girl to be returned safe & unharmed.

Read the start of this here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/4510-rants-enter-at-own-risk/page__st__10120#entry379343

Pink ribbons are for April & there is a lot on the internet about her.

Welshy is doing more than any of us can. The community support is tremendous.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Synaptic Occlusion: I can see what has been said about the bevel,for me it makes it look hand made like the discolouring effect a soldering iron or welder would have on the metals being joined.Nice composition of framework and background colours.

Flowers 5:Makes me think of spring,new fresh growth,hope.PdN.Gallery material.Another stunner.

• 1 month later...

Oh Dug - I missed your comment on here. Thanks so much for your lovely words of support. 

It has been so long since I posted something new so along with the new sig & avvie here is another image. The torus is compliments of Welshy to whom this image is dedicated. Try his tute here: http://pdnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tuts&action=display&thread=216

th_Shadowsoftheheart.png

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Looks like we're all having gallery problems at the moment!

The new one looks good small - looking forward to the big version.

(I'm not touching my gallery code till everything settles down again).

The new avatar/ sig combo looks good too - nice metallic colours!

Good to see you creating again!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I just love your new avvie and signature - my colours all the way - yummy!  The Torus looks fabulous (but the thumb won't work) and I look forward to seeing it larger.  Sure have missed you on here and so happy to see you back  :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Gah! yes, the image code isn't working...

No idea how to get just the artwork to show...here's hoping this works so you can see it at least...

http://barbieq25.deviantart.com/art/Shadows-of-the-Heart-342218130http://barbieq25.deviantart.com/art/Shadows-of-the-Heart-342218130

So the dA link doesn't work either.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss265/barbieq25/Shadowsoftheheart.png

direct link maybe??

Edited by barbieq25
THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I think my monitor must be brighter than most. Many of my works have been quite dark. Probably the "dark" phase I am going through. I do love dark colours & tend to wear black a lot. 

Helen, you are such a sweetie. Lettering is Evanescent. Black with Bevel at default on its own layer, duplicated the black letter layer, then drop shadow with original not kept & the sliders or the position all the way to the right, adjusted the opacity. Ran a small drop shadow close to the letters on the duplicated layer & didn't keep the original again. Quite a handy plugin!

Welshy, over the last few months, there have been many trials & tribulations. This is true for many of us. There have also been wonderful experiences & collaborative works which helped me to feel sane & appreciated. 

The interlinked circles remind me that we are never alone & that what we do is never in isolation, If not footprints we at least leave shadows on other's hearts. Some, like a bikini strap tan line, thankfully fade & others are like little pools of welcome shade from the harshness of reality. The darkness is surrounding the picture, so there is always a bright spot if you look inside. Shadows of the Heart also reminds me that we daily live with the spectres of things less pleasant such as aging parents, worry over children, partners & other loved ones. 3 circles - within ourselves, outside ourselves in our family circles & the largest circle - the world around us.

was playing in my mind as I did this piece.

Ok, that is enough DM for one day :D 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012