Barbieq25 Gallery - Gallery update 2 new p. 1

barbieq25

No problem! ;) Anytime.BTW I challenge (not really, just ask) you to create an animal. If you want.

When I create art it's what's in my head. I become absorbed in the process & therefore most often never remember what I have done. I don't make notes & hence when people ask me how did I do that or write a tute on it, I cannot. It really is not that I don't want to share.

Doing an animal is not part of my style but I do appreciate the challenge or request. I did an abstract bat that I may rework at some stage.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Helen, thank you!

Sokagirl, great theme you chose. I have been working on it.

Goonie, glad you noticed! You're the only one to comment on that so far. Thought it needed it in keeping with the aged theme.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Greatly appreciated!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

j.d., yep they take a long time to do, made worse by the fact that I have slow pc & work in very large canvases. Glad you like it.

CSM - good! I like the idea that I brighten someone's day.

Welshy, thanks so much for the lovely comment. I've tried hard to improve, made possible by the constructive feedback I've received from other artists such as yurself.

Chrisco, secrets? What would you like to know? With the art deco pieces I did a lot of research about the art movement & looked at lots of images. I use a reference image & use the line tool for the frames. This involves a lot of layers with only bits on some, then merging down once a section is correct. At times, it's possible to use Mirror.

The background may be an older image that is blurred, dented, splintered, polar inversion, zoomed, layered, colour flipped in some sections, conditional hue/saturation of tint in any number of combinations.

For the gold, I use bevel at the following settings: 225, 227, 107, 147, 126, 7 running down the list as it were. Bevel at whatever looks good. Then I do curves (there's a tute on metal or gold text that shows the setings, let me know if you cannot find it & I'll do a screenie). Then gaussian blur @ 2 (remembering that my canvas is 4x 600x800). Then duplicate the layer, set to overlay, use Photo, glow at setting that you like, then soften portrait.

I select areas & sometimes bevel or tile reflect them, other times warp one (bad, bad memory) at a small value works well.

Sometimes I'll do a drop shadow in yellow on that layer, sometimes I will Trail it. Most often I will drop shadow in black with max blur(?) but BE WARNED at that size drop shadow could crash so always, always save before drop shadow.

Ok, that is my brain sucked out! LOL! Any questions are always welcome. If I can help I will.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Really do appreciate the time & effort you.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Chrisco, see post above...

Double post - new work.

New one was inspired by Kandinsky's Composition 8. Turned myself inside out doing this one. Not sure that I have the artistic qualities "right". The unfinished version was heavily critiqued by an art teacher & it needed a lot of work in regards to focal point, perspective, flow etc. After feeling really down, I told myself that I create art for me first & foremost. Most of what I should have learned hasn't sunk in, mostly because it was all theory & no face-to-face prac work or immediate feedback.

Personally, I like it a lot. Tried out the new Ed Harvey effects with it - they are way cool & supersonic fast!

Any & all feedback appreciated on this one.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

absolutely love all your pieces,and your new one is no exception, just wonderful.

unfortunately I am in no position to offer any valuable feedback on "artistic qualities"

but I know what I like to see and I just "LOVE" your style and flair :mrgreen:

they say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

well this "beholder" believes your art is a "a beauty"

I'm sorry that I cannot offer any (constructive) critisim but I just dont have the expierience or knoweledge to do so :roll:

I believe if you (the artist) likes what they have created then you have succeeded in what you set out to achieve and nothing else really matters :heart:

keep up the GREAT work..

regards j.d.