Barbieq25 Gallery - Gallery update 2 new p. 1

barbieq25

Hexratt & j.d. I didn't do Gaussian Blur on the highlight but I think I used either True Blur or Smart Blur since GB put lines through the highlight. As is often the case, we need to look at an image & see the shapes, colours, highlights & shadows, since images are really nothing more than that. It's about developing an "eye". A few of us now spend quite some time doing just that...take a coloured marble & look at what you see. What makes it look like glass? Aside from it being just that if you compare it to a photo (junk mail excellent for this!) No longer glass but a flat image but it still looks like glass - why? What shapes, colours etc do you see? How can you replicate this with PDN? This is where doing as many of the tutes really helps. You get a good understanding of how various plugins work. Play with settings...doesn't matter if the outcome is less than pleasing - learning is the aim. There's always undo & the bin.

I really don't remember how the Amber one came about other than it was an image I did quite some time ago:

th_DragonsCastle-1.png

That image turned into this:

th_PinkJewel.png

I took out the jewel, changed the colours, applied lomography to the background, used a .jpg which I used line tool to give me the basis of the jewel. I put the massively jaggy .jpg one one layer & made it red, on the layer above I used yellow to outline with either the line tool (right mouse button to move the line to curves), brush to fill in bits, eraser to get rid of bits. Some parts were done on new layers so that if you have to erase its much easier if it's on its own layer. Merge & merge until it is one single image once you have it how you want it. Gold applied as per a couple of pages ago.

The Insanity one started life as a photo of my foot. Heavy use of splinter, conditional hue/saturation, layer blend modes, all of which I have since forgotten. You get the idea...

The other thing I did was to blur the black on the glass orb to give it a more glassy look.

Man, what a long post...thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Favorite: Dream maker

These are all really good. I can't suggest anything because I see nothing to suggest. Keep us the Great work. Anything else you are working on?

Thanks...yep got a few more to finish & then I am going to try for something very different.

Thank you everyone for your comments & for taking the time to visit :)

Edited by barbieq25
THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Re: sig entry

A Japanese Story is considered one of Australia's top film with great landscape scenery. I will have to tour the sites when I visit the "outback" country next christmas.

Excellent entry, you did a great job with the photo editing; and you said you weren't good at that, what a kidder you are. Indeed, photo editing is an art itself but in the hands of a great artist it is an inspiration.

sighhexratt1.jpg

Well, I am not that good at it. Just that the last 2 worked out ok.

Here is a new one. Reference image used...line tool, assorted blurs, drop shadow & not that much else. Please note this is not an edited image from the book but rather the book was used to reference the shape & size. The rest is between me, my mouse & the pc! Therefore 100% pure PDN.

It's called - appropriation - go ask Andy (Warhol)!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I've been asked so many times to do a realistic piece. Realistic is fine up to a point for me. I don't want to do an image that looks like a photo. We have cameras for that. Not that I put anyone down for that style because it is incredibly difficult but it's just that I am more into abstraction. I do like sci-fi/fantasy.

This is the second one that I have done in the more realistic style.

Thanks for the comment & the visit.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

OMG Bbq.. "capricornia" was worth waiting to see full size :mrgreen:

the colours are sooooo..vivid..and the reflection..just perfect..well done you :star:

regards j.d.

p.s.

("still suffering from a serious case of brain-freeze over here..cannot seem to get a single decent image produced lately!!) :roll:

Thanks, j.d.!

The reflection for once turned out very well. Goonie is the master for that.

I am pleased with the way the image turned out. I had in mind to do something completely different. I started a few & binned them. Looked at lots of images for inspiration. Total block...after I did a bit on the AOTW. I've left that one for a bit. Not sure whether to have the main blurred or not. Cannot decide.

Have you tried some tutes, j.d.? Happened to all of us from what I can gather & still continues to plague some of us. There are days when they just all come together & other days we bin more than we have ever produced. It's all learning - no such thing as a mistake!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I agree! Thank you for stopping by but you do know there is a link to my DA Gallery there too. Glad you like my work (still)!

It'll be back on the 25th. Might have to re-do all of the links. Had to move stuff into folders etc to stop the hotlinking. There was tons of it going on with quite a few images. I am such a dunce. Possum set me right & AFG did too.

Consoling myself with copious quantities of coffee & M&Ms...when I get this back up there will be new works that I have completed but not yet posted.

It's not that PB sux - just the hotlinking. Crafty Possums & Scotsmen to the rescue :lol:

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Hey nice job on the first three, there really good! But after that all you'r images show up as this, ArtDecoSigMainBoard.png I'm not sue what it means but it also shows up where you'r sig is saposed to be. However it dosn't show up on the sigs and avitars of anyone who has posted, or you'r avitar.

Edited by Courtney512
18984577.jpg

That's correct. The first 3 are hosted with Image Shack. I had made my Photobucket account public & my images were hotlinked to a stack of other sites which meant that the bandwidth limit was exceeded. After 25th of this month all should be back to normal. Underneath were my signature should be you will find a link to my Deviant Art gallery if you want to see more.

Avatars are uploaded to the forum - so they're still showing.

Thanks for stopping by & commenting :)

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012