A set of elementary tasks?

Hello,

I'm brand new here, having just downloaded Paint.NET yesterday. Before I ask my probably quite obvious and dumb questions, let me just say that: (1) I did read the forum rules; (2) I have reviewed quite a lot of the documentation; and (3) I'm brand new here.

I have a couple of specific questions, which I'll get to in a moment. First, though, I have a general question: is there someplace where extremely elementary questions are answered, and very elementary functions are described? Software is learned to such a large extent by using it. I have a feeling that if I could just perform a few simple operations, by following a set of steps, I would get a much quicker and better feel for the interface. As it is, I have done quite a lot of reading, but am still pretty lost.

Now for my specific questions. My first wish is a simple one, although perhaps slightly unusual: I would like to create a small transparent gif. (I want to use it as a space-filler on a website.) I've tried in a couple of ways, but nothing seems to be making much sense or working. How could I do that?

My second wish is to take a gif from the Web, change its color, resize it, and possibly superimpose an arrow or exclamation point on top of it. I would imagine that this is the type of thing that a lot of people would like to do with an image-editing program such as Paint.NET. I know certain things about this, for example, that I can use the text tool for an exclamation point; and that the superimposition will involve layers. I inserted the gif in question onto the image canvas yesterday, however, and tried to do a few things to it. Nothing happened. It just sat there inert, no matter what I tried to do. This second question involves four different processes, but I'm not sure how to do any of them.

Is there already a place that describes how to do them? Or would someone be kind enough to explain here?

Maybe Paint.NET is just not the right software for me?? For the moment, I just want to do quite simple things.

- As mentioned, I'd like to create a transparent gif.

- I'd like to take someone else's gif or jpeg and: change its color; change its size; superimpose text on it.

Please help me. I really put in a lot of time yesterday in downloading not only the program but also the necessary Windows 3.5 requirements; and in reviewing a lot of the documentation. So far I have not realized a single gain out of all that work. If I could just get going, I could start to teach myself. For the moment, though, I just sit here at a complete loss.

The best way to get to know PDN is to do the tutorials. Also I found You Tube was a big help. There are numerous vids showing you how to use PDN. :D

This is a very helpful suggestion. I've looked at a few of these now and have two questions. First, they clips are so indistinct that I cannot make out with any certainty what is being done. How can I make the clips more distinct? I see there is a button for "high quality," but when I click on it, nothing seems to happen.

Second, are these clips categorized anywhere or has anyone identified those which are really helpful? They seem to be sort of all in a heap as they are.

Adjustments -> Hue / Saturation

Image -> Resize

Try the text yhsjjie-8.png tool.

These very simple instructions were very helpful. Just by doing these three simple things, I learned a lot and got a feel for the interface. Not alone that, but I think I was able to accomplish my two specific goals!

Thank you very much. :)

My first wish is a simple one, although perhaps slightly unusual: I would like to create a small transparent gif. (I want to use it as a space-filler on a website.) I've tried in a couple of ways, but nothing seems to be making much sense or working. How could I do that?

A transparent image is probably unnecessary on a website if you use CSS. Check out the margin and padding elements.

However, if you do wish to use an image:

Create one in the right size ( or resize the current canvas) and ensure it has only one layer.

Hit Ctrl+A to select all of the image

Press Delete to remove everything on the layer

Go to File > Save As.., and select the *.GIF file format

Click save

The best way to get to know PDN is to do the tutorials. Also I found You Tube was a big help. There are numerous vids showing you how to use PDN. :D

This is a very helpful suggestion. I've looked at a few of these now and have two questions. First, they clips are so indistinct that I cannot make out with any certainty what is being done. How can I make the clips more distinct? I see there is a button for "high quality," but when I click on it, nothing seems to happen.

Second, are these clips categorized anywhere or has anyone identified those which are really helpful? They seem to be sort of all in a heap as they are.

Try the Zero Day Photo series of tutorials. I worked my way through each one when learning PDN and found them a big help. Other than that it`s just a case of searching for the one you need.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Maybe Paint.NET is just not the right software for me?? For the moment, I just want to do quite simple things.

- As mentioned, I'd like to create a transparent gif.

- I'd like to take someone else's gif or jpeg and: change its color; change its size; superimpose text on it.

Please help me. I really put in a lot of time yesterday in downloading not only the program but also the necessary Windows 3.5 requirements; and in reviewing a lot of the documentation. So far I have not realized a single gain out of all that work. If I could just get going, I could start to teach myself. For the moment, though, I just sit here at a complete loss.

.gif's cant use transparency, your gonna have to use pngs.

"Being calm can work wonders"

Signature-1.png