Open Paint.NET without creating new image

Is it possible to have Paint.NET open without it automatically creating a blank new image? I ask because I usually copy and paste images into Paint.NET and the canvas size never matches. If the image I'm pasting is larger, it's not an issue because Paint.NET AWESOMELY asks if I want to expand the canvas. However, if it is not as big, I'm left with white space around the image. I realize that since the pasted image is automatically selected, I could simply crop to selection.

What I would like is to have it open without a default canvas, then I can click on "new image". The default measurements are (once again AWESOMELY) defaulted to the size of the image on the clipboard so no modifications are necessary. I just have to paste the image and it's the perfect size.

If there a way to configure Paint.NET this way, or does anyone else have a suggestion?

P.S. I searched for this and didn't find anything, but I could have missed something based on my search terms.

The canvas you see when starting Paint.NET is a "ghost" canvas and will disappear you create/import/paste in other images unless you modify it. However, Ctrl-V pastes the clipboard contents into the current image, so instead press Ctrl-Alt-V to paste into a new image and delete the ghost canvas.

Edit: Beaten.

KaHuc.png

After you've pasted it in, before you remove the selection, hit Ctrl+Shift+X to crop the area in one step.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm running windows Vista. With most images, I just right-click on an image in a file and select "edit" from the drop down and it's will open in Paint.NET. However, their are a couple of exceptions where an image is defaulted to a different program. Then I just "right-click" > "open with" > Paint.NET. If Paint.NET isn't listed in the "open with" pop out, then you will have to select "browse" and locate the Paint.NET exe file. After that, it will always show up in the "open with" pop out whenever you click on that type of image file.

I'm running windows Vista. With most images, I just right-click on an image in a file and select "edit" from the drop down and it's will open in Paint.NET. However, their are a couple of exceptions where an image is defaulted to a different program. Then I just "right-click" > "open with" > Paint.NET. If Paint.NET isn't listed in the "open with" pop out, then you will have to select "browse" and locate the Paint.NET exe file. After that, it will always show up in the "open with" pop out whenever you click on that type of image file.

Two things.

1) That has nothing to do with what was posted in this thread.

2) You didn't ask anything. You simply listed a bunch of statements. Perhaps you meant to end with a question of some kind.

I'm closing this thread, since the original question was answered.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg