Sozo

[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

In my experience Noise by itself doesn't always give the best results.   Noise and one of the Stylize plugins for height (Emboss etc) or my go to to for all textures Texture Shader 

For stucco you can use Clouds/ Difference Blend Mode >>> Ctrl + F twice >>> Displacement >>> Texture Shader (only setting changed was to tilt the lighting ball slightly)

stucco.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

Thanks, @welshblue...I modified my entry before I saw your post. Your tips are much appreciated-I never would have thought to use clouds! I'm happier with my modified entry, but I still fudged the stucco...yours is so much better than mine. Live and learn. I will do some experimenting tomorrow night and maybe modify it again.

@Maggie ... I think the edit looks much better.  With the Noise effect, it's sometimes best to set the colour saturation to zero for textured effects. ( Unless you want a multi colour effect )

I use this plugin instead because I'm lazy https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/19479-grain-noise-or-film-grain/

Same effect, just one slider less to play with

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Do we have to draw a santa ?  As in all PDN

Well, that's how I would do it.  We are allowed to use clipart, but I think being original would be a nice thing...

1 minute ago, lynxster4 said:

but I think being original would be a nice thing...

I wasn't sure which way to go so I thought I'd ask before getting too into it.   It was gonna be a treat for you ladies ...

treat.png

(I'd swear @Ego Eram Reputo is moonlighting 😜)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

.laughing so hard I can hardly type

After I said it,  I was trying to work out if 11,000 miles was enough of a head start ... 😐 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, welshblue said:

I was trying to work out if 11,000 miles was enough of a head start ...

Tim, you are too precious!  I can always count on you to give me a good laugh...😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

I can always count on you to give me a good laugh...

Laughter is the best medicine 😉

I take so many pills every day but the one I rely on to get through,  is my humour ... even if it is questionable,  bordering on objectionable at times.

Got to laugh at all the bad things in life/ the world ... best way to cope with them ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, welshblue said:

Laughter is the best medicine 😉

I take so many pills every day but the one I rely on to get through,  is my humour ... even if it is questionable,  bordering on objectionable at times.

Got to laugh at all the bad things in life/ the world ... best way to cope with them ?

Well as  a "first-time-back- in-a-dogs-age-er" I would love to say how nice it is to see that Welshblue is still at his old tricks of hilariousness. With the new line of "portraits" (i.e. the post above with …"(I'd swear @Ego Eram Reputo is moonlighting 😜) " able to still cause scandal and merriment to all.  Nicely done good sir. 

• Like 1

Hey @Scooter ... good to see you back mate.

I've always thought it was a certain type of person who 'got me' ... usually those who live in rooms with rubber walls and wear clothes that buckle up at the back 😜

My family's reaction is usually ... Wife " You're twisted"  Son " You're weird"  Daughter " You really are a wrong 'un"

Back on topic - I am really struggling to make a decent Father Christmas

2 hours ago, Seerose said:

I don't think this subject is so good. Best you choose a new theme. 

Everyone's waiting for Santa Claus. :P
But the deadline is 21.12. :) 
Therefore perhaps no one wants to take part.

There's plenty of time.  It's good theme.  

9 hours ago, welshblue said:

Hey @Scooter ... good to see you back mate.

I've always thought it was a certain type of person who 'got me' ... usually those who live in rooms with rubber walls and wear clothes that buckle up at the back 😜

My family's reaction is usually ... Wife " You're twisted"  Son " You're weird"  Daughter " You really are a wrong 'un"

Back on topic - I am really struggling to make a decent Father Christmas

It is all ways the " All Wise Prophet that is unable to make family shoes that fit"....'er som'thing like that.  But Take HEART- we of the inter net-ian webber pages, WE understand and find that your sense  of humors are like a very Fine Wine----well, at least a basic grape juice- But I regress- Never worry about the acceptance by family and friends---We your loyal and stalwart Strange-ers will always accept you as your are----though wearing just a night cap and night shirt may be just a bit much for that daily stroll 'bout the village. For now I must, AWAY! to fined the most elusive Wood Chuck-------Tootles ! 

[note: Oh Look! My new best friends have come in to retighten the straps on me  "special" shirt--so nice they care]

2 hours ago, Seerose said:

<3 @welshblue, <3 @Maggie, <3 @lynxster4!

I won't give up, I mean if you don't like it, choose another theme.

I am patient and impatient at the same time. :) 

Seerose with your talent you're going to create a spectacular creation. As we all have learned not every Santa Claus has to be the old American Coca Cola version, seen around the world. There is a multitude of possibilities you can "draw" from.  Now go get 'em, You can do it.  :D

• Like 1

@Pixey ... extremely clever thinking outside of the box.  It's got Santa more ways than one.  Love that

22 hours ago, Scooter said:

though wearing just a night cap and night shirt may be just a bit much for that daily stroll 'bout the village. 

Funny enough, that's what the cops said ...  once they made me put the nightshirt back on 😕

Madness = Freedom

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I had a good concept, but was frustrated by lack of experience

Personally all I'd change from your entry is to dial the coverage/ intensity down (less is more) and have 0 colour saturation