[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

19 hours ago, MadJik said:

If I start with a texture generator, then TGM then a lot of distortions effect, in the end the TGM will be unsignificant.

This brinks another related question: if I work with a canvas 5000x2000, the final result at 500x200 will also not really match with the effect used at this final size...

I think it should be better to make a smaller original image. Like you say, a huge image can result in disappointment after downscaling.

12 hours ago, Pixey said:

I would say that only TGM be used on an initial texture/image.  But, things like blend modes, curves,etc., would be alright.

Thanks, Pixey! :)

5 hours ago, Pixey said:

About this week's TGM competition folks ~ Please will those of you who have posted more than three entries, please resist posting anymore.  I will accept all that have been entered for this week, but I think more than three - in the future - will be disallowed.  As you can imagine if everyone posted 4, 5, or 6 it would be massive job to upload them all for the Poll.

Makes sense. Looks like people have been experimenting due to the simplicity of the current contest's requirements :P

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pixey said:

About this week's TGM competition folks ~ Please will those of you who have posted more than three entries, please resist posting anymore.  I will accept all that have been entered for this week, but I think more than three - in the future - will be disallowed.  As you can imagine if everyone posted 4, 5, or 6 it would be massive job to upload them all for the Poll. 

Thanks for your understanding

smileys-kuschel-394144.gif      

My 2 cents, if folk want to create a large amount of potential entries, then just pick your fave 3 you have created and post the rest in your galleries where there is a good chance more people will see them and also comment on them. Again, just my 2 cents. ;)  

• Like 3

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Only 4 hours until the SOTW#174 is to close.  If you have not yet voted, please take the time to cast a vote as there are quite a few in the 'tie' position.  Many thanks :D

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• toe_head2001 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies everyone for the sizing of the images in this weeks' SOTW#176 Poll :(

It seems that the software doesn't like horizontal entries and 'squishes' them savagely!  Also ............. I think that Post-image is also cropping them - so a double whammy >:O

Let me explain how the poll works.  We, as Comp Hosts, have to upload your submitted images to another site and then link back into the Poll software.  I've tried using people's links from their posted first entry, but the software will not accept the format ; https.

There are (as far as I can see) only two solutions to this:

1.  I can save them from now on to Imgur.

or,

2.  After you have submitted your entry - and don't change it - you could PM me your IMG code or URL code, so that I can link right back to where you have your image.

Suggestions will be most welcome :D

EDIT:  Sorry again .......... I just realized that you giving me a URL or an IMG tag, if you also used Post Image, will not help this problem.  I will try Imgur next time and see if it's a bit better.  

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

56 minutes ago, Pixey said:

It seems that the software doesn't like horizontal entries and 'squishes' them savagely!

The forum software is not squashing them. You used thumbnail size provided by PostImage for the first 9 images in the poll. ;)

If you open one of the images, you'll see it's still small (even when not displayed in the poll)

Example: https://s20.postimg.org/htjrmdjmx/6._WB.png

You can still edit the poll, and change the images to full size. :D

We, as Comp Hosts, have to upload your submitted images to another site and then link back into the Poll software.  I've tried using people's links from their posted first entry, but the software will not accept the format ; https.

What? I always use the original image url from the entry.

Except... if the entry was added as a forum attachment, as the forum won't let me use someone else's attachment in my post/poll.

you could PM me your IMG code or URL code, so that I can link right back to where you have your image.

No need for that. You can just right click on their image, and select 'Copy Image Location'. It may be called something slightly different depending on the web browser.

Then just place that copied url in between tags.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@toe_head2001 Ahhh - I did not notice that they were Thumbnails - I assumed they were Hot Links ;).

But, I don't see how you get a URL, or an IMG code, from the posted entries.  When I right click I just get the choice to; copy image address and always get an https code, which the software doesn't like. 

I will change the Poll now from the Thumbs.

30b8T8B.gif

Hopefully I can explain clearly . Forgive me but I am a bit shattered - all week in fact - due to a sudden death in my family and I'm rather shaken up and am not thinking too clearly.

Last week I tried to use the code generated, by right clicking on the initial image posted and got a code like this: https://postimg.org/etc.  I don't know if anyone noticed at the time, but after I tried that and posted the Poll, all you could see was a string of code and no image. 

At the best of times I am not very computer literate/savvy, so perhaps you are adding the letters to that code?  I would be very happy if this were the case and could stop uploading them unnecessarily.

30b8T8B.gif

My condolences.

Example:

This is the URL I've copied:

https://s20.postimg.org/xf136bvl9/6._WB.png

For the poll, I need to place it into [IMG ] [/IMG] tags:

[IMG ]https://s20.postimg.org/xf136bvl9/6._WB.png[/IMG]

I had to add a space in between [IMG  &  ] , so it would be formatted as text you could read.  Don't add the space in practice.

That's all there is to it.

• Like 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Ahhhhh - that's music to my ears @toe_head2001 it's going to save me a lot of time - many thanks.  I really should have known that and given it a try :imhappehtoo:

30b8T8B.gif

Pixey

First, my condolences for you loss.

Second,  a very huge  Thank You for your hard work on the contests, all the while keeping up a impressive amount of PDN projects.  clap.gif.8c223bd2335e8eb1a6c4d9dbe7eec26a.gif

• Like 1

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Thank you for your condolences guys :).  My elder daughter's husband died suddenly at age 58 last Sunday and it was a tough week.  It's amazing what grief and lack of sleep does to the brain. 

Anyway, @Toey came to the rescue and from now on my job will be much easier.  Goodness knows why I've been uploading the images that way, for years now - perhaps we did it like that on another, older site?  Who knows .............. but - it's never too late to learn a new trick smileys-angstlich-286572.gif 

30b8T8B.gif

This weeks "Woven Photo Plugin" contest effectively excludes my participation, as that one and many new plugins won't run in my version of PDN. I'm looking forward to the interesting entries I'm sure will be submitted though...

69unju0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION - Please can you revisit the SOTW#177 - Woven Photo - to adjust your votes, as I missed out one entry yesterday in this poll.

So, so sorry @welshblue.  I did wake up in the night with a niggly feeling that I had hit one of the "X's" next to the code boxes and was just about to re-check.  I have now added it and hopefully everyone will take another look at the competition again.  Do you think I should start another thread to announce this?  Or do you feel that posting it here is sufficient?  Again - I am so sorry :doh:

30b8T8B.gif

Many thanks for your understanding @welshblue B) at least this will teach me to double check in the future :doh:.

I have given myself a smack baseball-bat-smiley-emoticon.gif

30b8T8B.gif

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/17/2017 at 3:53 AM, welshblue said:

Still not sure about the tinsel, it hasn't worked like I hoped :/

Of course, it has!   ;)