[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

I have never tried to animate something, so I don't know the effort, but I like how some animations turn out when something is animated. I think some entries just come down to letting people vote on what they like. If you like creative works, then vote on those, and don't vote on what you don't like. I don't think creative and not creative enough is a rule, and it's already been said before that paint.net is a photo/image editing program, so when it's used that way, I don't think there should be an issue.

However, some entries might not get too many votes if the entry is an image that hasn't had much done to it, or if an entry is nothing but scribble, or if an entry is just viewed as ugly by a lot of people. Paint.net can change the color of a photo, and it can draw stick people, neither ideas alone might impress too many people, but both are what PDN is capable of.

At first I kind of overlooked Dips animated apple, but as I have been observing it more, I tend to like it. I don't know why, but at a closer look the way the animation has been done, it's kind of cool. I will admit though, I like the effects of the waving FIRE entry more. It has an overall better appeal to me. :)

Thanks @Drew.  Yes, this is becoming a trend.  Soon it will have to be renamed SOTF (Fortnight) :lol: .

I would be in favor of changing the entry period for all SOTW's to two weeks (even though that would make the name inaccurate).

• Upvote 1

I would be in favor of changing the entry period for all SOTW's to two weeks (even though that would make the name inaccurate).

I was also thinking along the same lines too. And on that note I will extend this weeks comp a further week. The deadline for entries is Saturday 28th May at 7 PM UK time (conversion in the entry thread)

• Upvote 2

BREtKQW.png

I was also thinking along the same lines too. And on that note I will extend this weeks comp a further week. The deadline for entries is Saturday 28th May at 7 PM UK time (conversion in the entry thread)

Thank you. A good idea, sometimes a week seems like only seven days to me :lol: Extra time would be ideal. :)

• Upvote 2

swIFX9v.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just an observation and by no means a complaint. I understand that the deadline for submitting entries to the current contest is Saturday at 7:00 pm UK time, and I understand that at the moment it's still Friday in the UK (Friday, 6:38 pm at the moment of this post according to my clock).

• Upvote 1

Just an observation and by no means a complaint. I understand that the deadline for submitting entries to the current contest is Saturday at 7:00 pm UK time, and I understand that at the moment it's still Friday in the UK (Friday, 6:38 pm at the moment of this post according to my clock).

Indeed yes, my fault entirely. I put the poll up and failed to notice the deadline was set for Saturday, (I also reside in the UK too) But to save my own skin here, I did guess afterwards that all who were entering had entered.

I shall be more observant in future comps........Host's, you just can't get them these days :lol:

• Upvote 2

BREtKQW.png

Working on another entry I noticed the poll was up - just glad I'm not going mad and getting days mixed up

No harm no foul just subject yourself to 2hrs water torture  :P

new_sig.png

This is so funny ........ because I very nearly commented on this a few days ago .............  about the spelling of Saturday :D  ........

de8FURK.png

......... but never got around to it.  Perhaps had I done so @Drew would have remembered :D.  Hee :mrgreen: .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey, all this has turned out to be completely your fault! yes3.gif And Drew thought it was his! meeting.gif This is so crazy! preved.gif

laugh2.gif

• Upvote 1

This is so funny ........ because I very nearly commented on this a few days ago .............  about the spelling of Saturday :D  ........

de8FURK.png

......... but never got around to it.  Perhaps had I done so @Drew would have remembered :D.  Hee :mrgreen: .

:lol:

And I always thought I could rely upon spell check when I made the template in office, If you can't trust Microsoft, who can you trust  :/

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

You can trust the browser's spell check :D  if you paste it there after doing it from MS Office. And hey, I noticed the "satruday" too. No big deal,

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand the rules in this case, it can be either way - horizontal or vertical. 

The time we had a vertical comp, it was specified by @jerkfight that it should be vertical only.  

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

The confusion is understandable. it's been a long, long time since I've seen a vertical entry. Maybe the rules should make clear whether they're allowed. When struggling to find a concept that fits within the size constraints, I've considered using a vertical format, but decided not to. First, because I wasn't certain they're still permitted; and second, because they don't really seem to me to be practical as sigs. I'd think they would make the height of even short comments rather  excessive.

I'm sorry for the confusion!

In the future maybe it can be specified in the rules to do only horizontal sigs.

Like I said if it's not allowed than take it down!

The confusion is understandable. it's been a long, long time since I've seen a vertical entry. Maybe the rules should make clear whether they're allowed.

Consider it done, the rules for the next comp will be amended to state either Vertical or Horizontal entries permitted. ;)

Personally I find it more difficult to create a Vertical sig, so hats off for Disgruntled1 for thinking outside of the box. B)

• Upvote 5

BREtKQW.png

As the latest SOTW winner, I will get to decide what the next theme would be.

But I have more than one idea.

My top pick for now is "Impressionism". You people OK with that?

I have other ideas though which I would reveal if someone requests it.

First, congratulations on your impressively intricate winning entry! (That's a lot of detail to fit into 500x200!) Second, it's up to you to choose the theme, so you should choose whatever you want, but I think Impressionism would be a fine theme.

First, congratulations on your impressively intricate winning entry! (That's a lot of detail to fit into 500x200!) Second, it's up to you to choose the theme, so you should choose whatever you want, but I think Impressionism would be a fine theme.

Thanks MJW.

My original image that composed only of the graffiti wall was 1500x600. My SOTW submissions often start with these dimensions so I can add a lot of detail then resized to a "mini" version of 500x200.

But this time, after finishing and flattening the graffiti wall, I decided to step it up a notch by resizing the 1500x600 canvas to 3200x1280 which is over 4 times the size of the wall. I then added the rest of the scene bit by bit that resulted to several layers to work on for several days. I'm on an ageing, low-powered 2GB, 1.6Ghz netbook but PDN rocks it out and allowed me to render it so far. A wonderful program PDN is. The 3200x1280 image fits perfectly when resized because its in perfect proportion to 500x200. The full-sized version is on my gallery so far.

Besides Impressionism, I have flower power and mind and also a new competition idea altogether. A mod submits an image with a fixed size. It could be a .jpg, .png, .gif or it could even be a .pdn file with fixed number of layers. The competitors basically modify the submitted image into something creative then submit them.