[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

I think I have hosted more complicated themes in the past that had more entries. But it's true I have to postpone the deadline for entries a lot lately, about a year ago 12 or more entries weren't an abnormal thing :P

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

I think some posters have taken their balls and gone home because they didn't get their way on the unpublished CodeLab plugin dispute. Hopefully some will cool off and get their noses back in joint sometime soon.

Edited by MJW

I suppose the fact of not winning may also be a deterrent for some people. Perhaps focusing on what can be learned by making a sig pic should be the priority for any artist, though I don't really know how seriously the victories or defeats in forum contests are taken to heart by different members. I can fairly assure I've learned a number of new tricks by taking part in the SOTW contests, and I'm only a very new member, but I don't know... some people do seem to have a chip on their shoulders over several side matters, such as disputes over misinterpreted rules and the like. It would be nice to take part in contests with over 12 contestants —a harder visual challenge for voters maybe :)

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure that those who left in a huff have done pretty well in competitions, whereas I, who may be the most "guilty" of using unpublished plugins, haven't won any. Also, the only significant unpublished plugin I used, other than the one-time use of what became Display Color Change Direction, were early versions of Texture Shader, which is now published, without attracting much attention. So I don't see how they can legitimately complain about any unfair advantage.

I think some posters have taken their balls and gone home because they didn't get their way on the unpublished CodeLab plugin dispute. Hopefully some will cool off and get their noses back in joint sometime soon.

Speaking only for myself.... I have not taken my ball home and my nose is never out of joint (not where an interntet forum is concerned) My absence this time round is down to enjoying a (rare) heatwave in the UK and throwing my newly purchased motorbike around corners and down some mighty straight roads, also spending some quality outdoors time with my family. My life doesn't begin and end in front of a computer 24/7.

The entries that made this weeks brief are mighty impressive, hats off to those who made it.  Of all the sotw comps I have entered (and hosted) I have only won two (I think) Winning is not my goal, the fun of entering is what I enjoy and also gaining inspiration by looking at others work is an added bonus.

You should not assume that members have thrown a "huff" on here. Everyone has a reason for not logging on and the only reason i have logged on tonight is because it's now night time in the Uk and also to vote in this weeks sotw.

Perhaps if folk stopped assuming or accusing then more members may be encouraged to enter, negative posts will only push people away ;)

• Upvote 7

BREtKQW.png

DrewDale, you're probably correct that I shouldn't speculate on other people's motives for not participating; though there were some comments made about not entering the comps because of the supposed unfairness of allowing others to use CodeLab; so while my speculation may have been ill-advised, it wasn't baseless.

EDIT: Let me add, I sincerely believe those who regularly entered in the past but haven't entered lately were valuable contributors, and I very much hope they return soon. I did take offense at being called a cheater, but I probably should let the matter drop. I still believe the controversy was at least partly responsible for the recent drop in entries, so I think my original comment was justified, though it could have been more temperate.

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

MJW, yep, let it go.

Good on you DD I know that in your shoes I'd do the same. 

I must agree with you that the handful of entries we had are MIGHTY impressive. The theme I thought was a very good one as was the tute. 

Most people are enjoying the summer fun. I tend to spend less time on the pc in the winter which is the season for us now. House renos & work take its toll. I have created one image but I cannot post it up in its entirety on this family friendly forum. 

There is not much commenting happening either on Galleries. Perhaps we could allow more than one entry to see if that would pick up the pace? I know sometimes I have to choose between a couple of outcomes :D

• Upvote 3
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I spend a probably unhealthy amount of time at my computer, but then I can blame plugin developers for it :P and barbie's idea of allowing more than one entry sounds good because the same project too often yields different appealing results worthy of a vote, so it would be a nice option if possible.

There is not much commenting happening either on Galleries...

One more thing to add to this is that not much commenting congratulating competition winners can be seen either, save the usual two or three people who often make some congratulatory post. It may sound silly or not too relevant, but a few pats on the back (a few more than it's usual) tend to have an edifying effect, especially when coming from the more experienced. So much so that one may feel encouraged to continue taking part in contests upon knowing that participants will not only submit their own entries but also congratulate the winner whoever he/she may turn out to be. Of course strictly speaking of the SOTW contests which are the ones I'm more familiar with.

It's funny that I've never heard of a rule that prohibits the submission of multiple entries per entrant xD

I'll look into it :)

Winning is not my goal, the fun of entering is what I enjoy and also gaining inspiration by looking at others work is an added bonus.

@ I am the same opinion as DD.  :)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

I spend a probably unhealthy amount of time at my computer, but then I can blame plugin developers for it :P

Maximilian, I totally agree with you... before Paint.net my lawn was regularly well mown.  :lol:

I decided on the multiple entries per entrant thing. I don't see any negatives that weigh up to the positives, so don't see a reason to not permit multiple entries per entrant. Furthermore, it was never specifically prohibited in the first place.

New rule added: There are multiple entries per entrant allowed.

Seerose

Sorry! Unfortunately, I didn't understand the subject!
That's why I can not take part.

IMHO it means something which does not exist in real world (maybe in you dreams). I.e. elves.

(OK Ethereal is the former name or Wireshark but this is a Nerd thing ;-)

midoras signature.gif

As per the new rule, I've posted two entries, and past the deadline assuming there might be a postponement due to there being only two submissions.

@chimay: still need a substitute host? I'm not sure I'm properly qualified, plus I'm not aware of the hosting procedures involved, but let me know if I can help (sorry I didn't notice the request before).

Sorry I can't help out.  I am in the middle of moving from the Isle of Man over to Florida and will be offline for spells at a time!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I'll need a substitute host for the next three weeks btw, due to me going on a holiday trip. 

Anyone interested?

Would love to help out, but I will also be taking some holiday time too.

BREtKQW.png

Guess we didn't have to link to stock used?

This is the rule:

5. Don’t violate copyright laws with found images; links to source images would be courteous. 

So I guess it's a bit loose.

I have a day to go before I travel, so I can set up the '"Poll" by the end of today to help out.  Hopefully I'll be online again before the deadline comes around.

chin.gif 

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...

I rather hope the Sunshine sig competition has what seems to have become the traditional deadline postponement. I like the theme, but so far haven't managed to come up with a good idea for it.