[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

racerx please open your own gallery. I'm sure people like to see your kind of art and your way to use paint.net.

But in the moment the comps are about art mostly done in paint.net. The decision to disqualify this image was OK.

Always a difficult decision for a host but if he explains the reason then it can be discussed.

Come on show us more of your animation art.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

I'd also prefer that you stay, racerx. Your suggestions and knowledge are both valuable and useful in many ways. Chimay was doing the job a competition host is bound to do, but the rules of a contest shouldn't drive anyone away and I'm pretty sure they are not intended that way, so please don't take this to heart and stay. I second midora's suggestion that you may consider opening your own gallery.

I'd also prefer that you stay, racerx. Your suggestions and knowledge are both valuable and useful in many ways. Chimay was doing the job a competition host is bound to do, but the rules of a contest shouldn't drive anyone away and I'm pretty sure they are not intended that way, so please don't take this to heart and stay. I second midora's suggestion that you may consider opening your own gallery.

And I third that!

A_zpscdxarw8e.gif

Edited by Pixey
  • Upvote 4

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Competition rules.

6. Your entry must be made using paint.net, please don't use an outside image editor and try passing it off as PDN work. [/size]

Tools used: Canon t2i (my camera), Avisynth, VideoLoops_v2, ffmpeg and Paint.net

I think Chimay's ruling is clear and correct.

Did she loose her lashes in frame 8?

Scheez -  she'd used too much eyelash glue last night ............ now fixed :) .

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Paris for the weekend, so I won't be able to open the poll for SOTW#129. Any volunteers to host the comp for a weekend?? ^^

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

34448.gif   I'll do it for you @Chimay, as I may require your assistance one day not too far in the future.  But .......... it there aren't many more submissions, perhaps it may need to be postponed another week?

30b8T8B.gif

34448.gif   I'll do it for you @Chimay, as I may require your assistance one day not too far in the future.  But .......... it there aren't many more submissions, perhaps it may need to be postponed another week?

Thank you very much! 

Indeed, lets say we'll postpone it for a week if there are less than 4 submissions. 

Also I'd be glad to help you if I'm able to ^^

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

• 3 weeks later...

MJW I do believe you are a couple days late on your entry into the SOTW #130 comp and that your image was made using this; http://29a.ch/sandbox/2011/neonflames/#  That was posted by I think Goonfella a while back. I can't find the exact thread he posted it in, but I do not believe that you used the cloud effect as you stated. I have noticed that you have tried to pass off works before that were not all pdn and claim they were. Although this might work on some of the newbies, it won't work on us seasoned vets. Please be careful not to do this in the future. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I thought the deadline was on Monday, 7 PM Greenwich Time, which I thought made my entry on time (though I could have adjusted for my timezone incorrectly). The posting time is at the top of my entry post, so if you don't know when it was posted, you can check yourself

In any case, I withdrew my entry, since it wasn't actually a fractal. I didn't use neonflames, which I wasn't aware of till now. The background consists of clouds, processed with a CodeLab plugin I wrote to test a color gradient (direction of maximum color change, that is) algorithm. I will publish the plugin, including the source code, and then you can apologize for questioning my integrity.

Please also tell me what else you think I cheated on. As far as I can remember, I've never use a stock image in a competition, and I can say with certainty that I've never used any program to produce the images except for PDN. I do use plugins I've written myself. I plan to publish them eventually, but most have interfaces that aren't yet polished enough for release.

Edited by MJW

Codelab is part of pdn. There should not be a difference in typing values in a dialog or writing a codelab script.

midoras signature.gif

Codelab is part of pdn. There should not be a difference in typing values in a dialog or writing a codelab script.

But that gives people the upper hand who are able to understand codelab. I think all the comps should be entered using only actually published pdn plugins.

How many regular entrants understand code ?

ZXCBOoZ.png

CodeLab is part of PDN. Anyone can use it. The purpose of the competitions is to show what each user, given his or her individual skills, can do using PDN. Some people (perhaps most) have more artistic skill than I do. Is that unfair to me because it gives them the upper hand? Should everyone with more ability in some area be banned from using that ability? Can someone who's unable to follow a complex tut complain that using tuts to produce comp images favors those who can understand and follow complicated directions?

Edited by MJW

What is the point in having competition rules if people won't follow them ?

Are you suggesting there's a rule against using CodeLab?

If we disallow CodeLab then what about the likes of Scriptlab, PixelLab & PDN Scriptor?

CodeLab is a tool. It's true that it's used to create new stuff, but this is likely to be a compilation of manually available techniques. ReMake has just released a perfect example by way of a new CodeLab tutorial (Sponge).

BoltBait has built a wonderful interface designer for CodeLab. Non-coders can create their own effects with minimal effort. So I don't believe there is a case for disallowing the use of CodeLab. It is entirely within the PDN environment.

Aside: Don't you think that the competitions are a wonderful place for coders to try out new plugins? Why not ask for unpublished plugins' source to be released - just like an attribution for a stock image.

@Skully - MJW has published the plugin and source in question. I believe you owe an apology.

• Upvote 2