[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

@ Maximilian
To be honest, I'm surprised to be called an artist. I feel complemented, thanks. I don't normally consider myself an artist, I just like to have fun. Because paint.net is just fun for me, my pictures range anywhere from a novice style, to things done by tutorials, to things that I try to make shiny since I like shiny appearances. :)

SOTW Comment.
Wow, I must say. There are so many entries this time. I don't think I've seen this many people enter in a long time. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen this many enter, at least not with the rounds I've participated in over the last year.

I will probably say thanks again at the end of this round, but to all who entered, THANK YOU! It is people like you that make these competitions so fun.
Best of luck to everyone. Let the voting begin! I think for this siggy competition round, the votes will be real fun to watch. :)

@ Maximilian: Welcome to the forums! I hope we'll see more of you! Do not hesitate to open your own gallery.

@CC4FuzzyHuggles: Indeed, a lot of entries! I think I've seen just as much entries once before, but that'd be a long time ago. But yeah... I don't enter as much lately aswell... Haven't really done too much with PDN lately, should make some more stuff tbh :D

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

Thank you both! bye.gif

@CC4FuzzyHuggles: I think a good part of being an artist consists of being a player and somehow all (or most) players are artists. We create new things by playing with the new and the old, or something like that  :P

@chimay12321: I'll try to be as active as possible!

This is the first time I take part in a visual arts contest. How exciting! redsocks_01.gif

• Like 1

Hi everyone! bye.gif

It seems my first submission as a forum member has been my humble contribution to the SOTW #124 contest. Really cute works I've seen there! ok.gif

@Maximilian! torusyso.png  Sorry; a little late seen. yh5rsl3i.gif

• Like 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Hi everyone! bye.gif

It seems my first submission as a forum member has been my humble contribution to the SOTW #124 contest. Really cute works I've seen there! ok.gif

Indeed a warm welcome to you Maximillian, nice to see you taking part on here, all good fun B)

BREtKQW.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Max. Welcome aboard. ;)

Posted my entry. Instead of creating a rough sea I used FurBlur to make ice - which I am stuck in! Originally the idea was just to make the text look as if it is in the water but after playing around with various settings I thought it looked like it was stuck in an ice field so that`s what I stuck with.

• Upvote 2

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Hi Max. Welcome aboard. ;)

Posted my entry. Instead of creating a rough sea I used FurBlur to make ice - which I am stuck in! Originally the idea was just to make the text look as if it is in the water but after playing around with various settings I thought it looked like it was stuck in an ice field so that`s what I stuck with.

Hi Goonie, and thanks! bye.gif

I think you've done a fine job and I really like your results! So much so that in my humble opinion you might consider posting a little tutorial on how you did it, if it's not too problematic :)

I'll add my entry in a while hi.gif

• Like 1

Thanks nitenurse. ;)

Max I`ve had another go at making the sig but I can`t remember how I got the rough sea to turn to ice! I can see the different layers and the layer settings on the original but this is just for the final image. The way I got there has stumped me. I know I used Gaussian Blur but now I get a totally different result. If only I could remember!  :roll:

So it`s unlikely that I will get a tut out of it. If I could replicate the sig I would have made one.  Sorry.

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Max I`ve had another go at making the sig but I can`t remember how I got the rough sea to turn to ice! I can see the different layers and the layer settings on the original but this is just for the final image. The way I got there has stumped me. I know I used Gaussian Blur but now I get a totally different result. If only I could remember!  :roll:

So it`s unlikely that I will get a tut out of it. If I could replicate the sig I would have made one.  Sorry.

It's okay, no probs, I've gone through it a number of times, unable to replicate results not_i.gifscratch_one-s_head.gifThanks for trying anyway! hi.gif

And a great entry too :)

Thank you very much, Miss nitenurse! hi.gifYours is super cute as well JC_clap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I love how most of the entrants in the Alphabet SOTW comp made their sig from scratch using just Paint.Net, good job by those who did.   :)

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Yes, nice job everyone on your entries! :)

Most of the entries aren't what I would have expected from an alphabet theme. I thought everything would be abcdefg... and so on, or maybe the middle of the alphabet strung together lmnopq, or perhaps the alphabet backwards zyxwv. Haha  :P.

I wish I could have done a lot more with my entry, but I ended up busy with everything but the competition (such as rl, replying to other posts, and I'm trying to prep content to make several tutorials, which is going really slow). So in the end I had to do a quick entry. And boy, what a cram session I had, haha :lol:. At first I was going to do all three letters as toy wooden blocks, but that was taking too long since I couldn't get my blocks to look right, so then I had to improvise. I jumped onto the pencil tutorial to make pencils for my A, I scrammbled to come up with a way to add detail to my pdn B block, and I went through about three different ideas for my C. I'm not much of an artist, so even simple things aren't always easy tasks for me. I'm glad I got it done though, because I was busy in real life afterwards, and I'm soon to be busy again. Despite only having a short amount of time, it was fun. I hope you all had fun making your siggies too. :)

Anyways, good luck everyone! Let the voting begin! :D

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I like how all participants interpreted the challenge so differently, rendering a variety of results, and I also like your tutorials Fuzzy JC_clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know if I should tolerate racerx's entry. 

Looking at it PDN only was used for the text and maybe some color corrections or something. That isn't even 20%. 

There has been a lot of discussion around stock usage etc. and I do NOT want that fight to happen here (again). So I am going to be very childish and I won't ask for any opinions on this matter, but I will just do what I think is best, as is my right as the arbiter of the SOTW comp.

I do tolerate the use of stock that isn't made with paint.net if it doesn't take up a huge portion of the sig. I also do tolerate the use of a lot of stocks in one sig and using PDN to manipulate them in such a way that they create 1 cohesive sig. I do not tolerate the use of outside programs or stocks that make up more than 10% of the sig. And that is clearly what happened in this case.

So I've decided this entry is disqualified. Racerx may place a new entry if he wants.

I do really like the entry though and the loop is pretty smooth, I really had to look for a while until I saw where the loop start and end are. You should definitely continue to make such cool things! But not for this comp, sorry..

• Upvote 2

Racerx is an asset to the forum with extensive knowledge of animation, however, I feel your decision is well thought through
and fair. I hope he enters a 90%+ Pdn sig too. ;)

Perhaps when Midora's animation plugins are formally published the sig comp could have animations as a one off theme - or maybe a new comp for animations is due?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I didn't enter this to win, only for support. I purposely disclosed that PDN was used as just one tool, so that nobody would vote for it. To me, it's just art, I don't care what tools were used to obtain the result......

Time to move on, you can delete my account.

P.S. There are lots of very talented people here. I wish everyone nothing but the best.

Plane_Sig2.gif

Oh NO @Racerx - please don't leave us .............. I know that @Chimay has to do his job (I live in dread that I will ever have to do this in the LBC section) but I'm sure he did this with heavy heart :(.

Your entry is beautiful, so why don't you just 'un-animate it' and leave it there.  Please, please reconsider - you have been a great new, interesting, talented and fun new member and you can't go anywhere :) .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I didn't enter this to win, only for support. I purposely disclosed that PDN was used as just one tool, so that nobody would vote for it. To me, it's just art, I don't care what tools were used to obtain the result......

Time to move on, you can delete my account.

P.S. There are lots of very talented people here. I wish everyone nothing but the best.

I do want to emphasize that I did not make this decision to drive you away. I really like your art and your animations are very talented, you should keep posting them in your gallery. 

But when other programs have been used to obtain effects etc. that couldn't have been produced in PDN, you have a distinctive advantage compared to the rest. I want to prevent that. 

And indeed, I approve that it doesn't matter how a piece was made in general, but this remains a PDN comp and you have to use what PDN offers you. 

My apologies. 

• Upvote 1

Racerx - please don't leave the forum! - your input and art is very much appreciated!

The comps are meant to be fun and to show what can be done using Pdn.
I agree that art is art and in life it doesn't matter a jot what tools you use to create.
Now Pdn is getting better animation capabilities it would be good to have a comp to compare like with like
and a shame to loose such a talented animator.

Please reconsider.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg