[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Red ochre said:

You mean purchase SSL certificates

You can get DV certificates for free these days. In fact, most web hosts offer to install free certificates right in their hosting control panels.

If your web host doesn't offer that convenience, free certificates are available from several Certificate Authorities. ex: Let's Encrypt, ZeroSLL, Cloudflare.

The only time you need to pay, is if you want an OV or EV certificate.

1 hour ago, Red ochre said:

for a site that does not do financial transactions?

Certificates are the norm now; financial transactions or not.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

The self certificated SSL has expired and does not give an option to renew as self certificated - only to purchase.(using cPanel  via hosting.co.uk)
Self certificated will still show a warning to site visitors and seems pointless for a simple portfolio site.
https://docs.cpanel.net/knowledge-base/security/guide-to-ssl/
Which free DV SSL certificate provider would you recommend? - Installing a 3rd party free one looks intimidating!
I may contact my host when I've got a few weeks to spare... or change host in November... or just close the site.🙄

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Which free DV SSL certificate provider would you recommend?

I generally recommend Let's Encrypt.

Right now, I'm using certificates from Cloudflare, but that's only because I was already using their other services.

33 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

Installing a 3rd party free one looks intimidating!

Once you've obtained the certificate files from a third-party, your web host should be able to help you install them.  i.e  They'll do it for you.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

19 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

I generally recommend Let's Encrypt.

That’s the one I use. 

My hosting company’s control panel has it built-in. I just had to press a button and it was applied to my site. Then I added an “http” to “https” redirect to my site configuration file. 

• Like 1

Thanks both for the info.

I may investigate further when the hosting fee is up for renewal (November). Though called 'hosting.co.uk' they use German based servers, I couldn't find a uk based one!  Quite possible they'll flip the big switch anyway when the Brexit transition ends!😁

However they are relatively cheap (£24 p.a.) and I haven't noticed any down time but they're far from user friendly for a website novice like myself.

In the initial account details email they sent me it said (verbatim):

"Please ignore the non-trusted SSL certificate error, when you use the domain name link.
 Our certificate is perfectly secure and the error is shown because the SSL was issued for the server hostname.
 You can add the certificate to exceptions list or ignore the error depending on the web browser you're using."

- I'd paid by then!

@BoltBait I didn't see anything as simple as that on my hosts' cPanel SSL wizard - the linked tutorials there seem to be written for the owners of the servers.
 I'm probably being dense ... or perhaps they'd rather sell me a certificate?

I have no problems viewing my site generally or linked images hosted there. Reptillian's is the first report I've seen of this. As mentioned I may change host (and possibly re-write the site) but it's not currently a high priority for me.

Thanks for your advice. ( I am a complete novice regarding html/css/php etc, so if it's not in the w3schools.com lessons,  I'm lost! )

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

On topic ... @BoltBait ...  having read your entry explanation ... very clever thinking behind it.  And works great to boot

I want to see what someone with real talent (read: @welshblue) can do with the idea...

9 hours ago, welshblue said:

I'm just glad there's only 2 themes

I can fix that :mrgreen:

@LoudSilence  Your SOTW entry only has 2 numerals in it. 

I asked for this:  Use at least three numerals creatively!   per Welshblue's instructions.

Can you please modify it?  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not.  Was having problems with posting the images. It left out the first nine entries, then locked me out.

Let it sit for a few minutes and had to re-do the whole thing.  🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Did not.  Was having problems with posting the images. It left out the first nine entries, then locked me out.

Let it sit for a few minutes and had to re-do the whole thing.  🤣

Oh the frustration when that happens :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

44 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Did you stamp your feet writing that 😋

This why I always enter the comps, to support you hosts who have to do a lot on judgement day

Yep, I heard that stamp & the pout too! :D

Seriously, thank you for hosting @lynxster4 <3 

• Like 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012