Sozo

[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

23 minutes ago, MJW said:

In my opinion, the themes should be less specific. "Snail on a salad leaf" and "baby pandas" limit the sig possibilities too much. SOTW theme's should allow a variety of interpretations.  Good themes: "Halloween," "Fire," "Mosaic," "Cubism." Bad theme: "Armadillo riding a unicycle."

I did suggest this to @MadJik - but he really, really wanted the Panda.

5 minutes ago, welshblue said:

@Pixey mine and @MadJik's entries have shrunk ? (I'm not bothered,  just curious)

Sorry @welshblue - but it's not my doing.  It's the forum software's fault.  It shrinks the entries automatically.  Mine only looks bigger as it's upwards.

Edited by Pixey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Sorry @welshblue - but it's not my doing.  It's the forum software's fault.  It shrinks the entries automatically.  Mine only looks bigger as it's upwards.

Worth knowing for future reference.  Thanks.  

I've just done a quick calculation on what the Poll Software does and it seems that if you post an image roughly 500 x 200 it will reduce the size by 80%.  My entry was a lot smaller to begin with and it didn't make it any smaller.  So, I guess if one wants the Poll image to show at a slightly bigger image, you must post something a bit smaller then 500 x 200 =O.

The same thing happens in @toe_head2001's comps and I recall that @MJW was concerned when it first happened.

It only reduces the image sizes when you view the poll results. When you're casting your vote(s), they should display at the actual size.

... As far as I can tell ...

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

It only reduces the image sizes when you view the poll results. When you're casting your vote(s), they should display at the actual size.

... As far as I can tell ...

No, that's not the case.  i.e. My Apple entry was 463 x 516 and became 395 x 734 in the Poll.  The Poll size stays the same whether casting the vote or viewing it for the results.  You can check this when you set up the shield Poll.

Edit:  It seems the Poll software does not resize the vertical images.  It's curious in the Filled Glass Comp where the software resized most of the entries, but left one of @MadJik's and @MJW's at the same initial size.

Edited by Pixey

@MJW

Ok, the snail was perhaps a joke but I wanted to let you (the forum) work on something French.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, MadJik said:

Hi Pixey,

This week France was witness of a world event: birth of a baby panda in a Zoo.

What would be my theme for the next run : baby panda.

regards.

MadJik

Then I chose the theme linked to a happy news, of global scope, even better as it is located in France!

But it is the game. The winner has the choice of the next theme. I'm far from the best of the forum. If the number of entries remain low I still have chances to be able to choose the next theme. Or that nobody votes for one who does not choose the ideal themes ...

@MadJik, sorry I seemed to be picking on you. I just think in choosing SOTW themes you should go for broader categories. It shouldn't be like OOFN, with everyone completing to see who can render the best frolicking panda cub. I believe the themes should allow the entrants to go a bunch of different directions. I certainly don't want to vote against someone who produces excellent images, because he or she chooses poor themes.

EDIT: I didn't think the panda theme was terrible or anything. One problem, though, is that adorable as they may be, pandas all pretty much look alike and don't really have a broad range of activities. A similar theme like "dogs" provides more variety, because there are all types, sizes, and colors of dogs, and they do a lot of different things, from pulling sleds, to curling up at one's feet, to going for one's throat. I admit there have been occasions when a theme I thought was quite lackluster attracted scads of entries, or a theme I thought was terrific attracted hardly any. One cause of the latter may be a lack of free time at certain times of year. For instance, lots of people vacation in August, and may not be available to create SOTW entries.

I remember in the past when I had to choose a theme ... it's not always easy to pick one that the masses find interesting.  I think some themes will always be hit or miss

@MadJik ... I never knew about the baby panda being born.  Cool news

My son was in Lille last year and came across some grizzly bears ... oh no they were Russian Ultras ... same thing - unpredictable and violent :lol:

He loved your city 

@MJW Ok I hear you. But it's the comp #172.

My choices have also been guided to find something new that has never happened before. New, wider themes will become scarce.

For these last two comp, I made myself in trouble to create relevant entries. I had to figure out how to draw a realistic snail shell (from a vanished tuto how to make a seashell). I also look at how to make panda fur. Pure white and pure white are not suitable.
As I work with large images (5000px) the file of my first version of the panda takes almost 100Mb!
It was a real challenge both time!

@welshblue 

https://www.zoobeauval.com/pandas/

(in french...)

Yes Lille is a good place to live (like many others). Thank you.

EDIT: Find the tuto, I'm rehosting my images (> 10 years ago).

• Like 1

@MadJik ... thanks for the link.

10 years ago <<< you're showing your age :P

Speaking of sigs ... doesn't ASH's still look great all these years later

• Like 1

@welshblue There is no secret!

member.png

10 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Speaking of sigs ... doesn't ASH's still look great all these years later

Yeah his work was twenty years ahead at that time. I'm still using some of his technics...

• Like 1

@Eli ... Old Timers Tell me about.  I can't speak for @MadJik ... but these years later I've got to wear specs now.  Not that you can tell in the sotw comp ... the edit I did to remove the 'floating' post of the sign, was a waste of time because I posted the original back up :/

Gee sorta like "old" home week, here in the land of the PDN.

Speaking of old, I'm certain I'm old but in PDN years I'm  only about 2  ROLF1.gif.f4a168e6637807bb5743f512bffd0014.gif Does  that count......never mind

• Upvote 1

Just to say we are evacuating today and have no clue what power shortages will be like.  Hopefully things may be back to somewhat normal by next Saturday when I'm due to do the SOTW poll!  We are off with our bare necessities + the cat :|.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Just to say we are evacuating today and have no clue what power shortages will be like.  Hopefully things may be back to somewhat normal by next Saturday when I'm due to do the SOTW poll!  We are off with our bare necessities + the cat :|

Stay safe!  We will be thinking about you!    <3

8 hours ago, Pixey said:

+ the cat :|.

:) 
Stay safe @Pixey and all in the path of  hurricane Irma. 
More things to be concerned about right now besides a poll. If you are without power or unable to return home before the comp deadline, I will be happy to step up and put the poll up for you :) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your thoughts guys :)  Thank you @nitenurse79 - that's very kind.  I will PM you thel inks for the saved images so far ....... just in case I'm without power next Saturday.  Very hard to tell what it will be like.

Edited by Pixey

On 09/09/2017 at 0:09 PM, Pixey said:

Just to say we are evacuating today and have no clue what power shortages will be like. 

Keep yourselves safe @Pixey 
I have to admit I would need a year's supply of nappies, if that kind of wind speed was going to barrel down on me. 

22 minutes ago, DrewDale said:

Keep yourselves safe @Pixey 
I have to admit I would need a year's supply of nappies, if that kind of wind speed was going to barrel down on me. 

That's just your age mate :D

But being serious ... Stay safe @Pixey.  Having seen the news, wow. Scarry stuff to cope with

:D Many thanks @DrewDale and @welshblue

For the Americans on here ... nappies are Pampers ;).  Wind is now picking up so I may need to go to the store for some :blank:.  Oh dear ..... no shops open now.  But, still have power - Yeah!