[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

You could pick a song that you think is a classic really, as for famous it could be just a well known song, either a big chart hit or a song most people know of.

We all interpret "classic" and "famous" in different ways. If for example you think "White Christmas" is a famous & classic song base a sig on that. Or perhaps you might think "Thriller" is a famous & classic song, then base a sig on that.

It can be what ever you think is famous or classic, not just from a movie or stage play. ;)

I picked New York New York because it was easy to draw a silhouette and add lights :lol:

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Yes, 'Fair Play' should be a fact.

I'm sick of hearing about the drugs some take to get an 'edge'.

Thought maybe there was some controversy in the javelin throw.

And thank you Dug.

Orienteering - Loved it.

Did I just commit a faux pas by double posting? Sorry.

Edited by doughty

SloppySig.png

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to have to sit this competition out.

I'll be in hibernation for a while.

That's alright doughty, no one is forced to enter a comp, or needs to announce the fact ;) If folk don't want to enter then just "don't enter" :)

Happy Hibernation by the way. It would be nice to do that during winter. :D

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 4 weeks later...

sashwilko, on 16 Jan 2013 - 07:25, said:snapback.png

pulled out. I can't compete against others on here.  :( sorry nitenurse79  :(

:( Everyone has a chance Sasha (Nitenurse's resonse).

Sasha, please put your entry back in. I have been using PDN for at least 4 years (I think). I have entered almost every SOTW since I joined & WOTW. Guess how many I have won? Now I could be wrong, but it was only 1 WOTW & there were like 3 entries! SOTW I doubt that I have ever won one but I got second once or twice. 

I did win the Monet award for most beautiful art twice & the Big Bird award once. This year I won nothing. This does not mean that my art cannot compete with others or that my art or me are not liked. 

When it comes to the comps it means that the people who are voting (tough decision) prefer some artworks over others. For instance, one woman on FB asked for a sig with a camo background. Ewww! I hate camo but she loved the sig. Go figure!

There are a few on here who can tell you that I enter to support the host & for my personal satisfaction of being able to fulfil the brief BUT I NEVER EXPECT TO WIN. (Just as well because I never have & probably never will.)  

For me it is also a chance to improve. 

On the other hand, since after 4 years of not winning a single SOTW I wonder why I bother with PDN at all.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Dear Sasha - you are a new star on this forum.  You are very popular and your work, in such a short time, has been very impressive indeed.  You have made an impact with us all and you must not worry about your entries not being worthy.  We all had to start once and put our necks on the line with an entry :tard3: .  I totally understand your hesitance (also see skullbonz's comment in the airline comp) about being nervous entering a comp.  I think it was Yellowman who once said, somewhere on here, that you can never tell how a comp will go.  You may think you have a brilliant entry and it BOMBS.  You may do something you're not too sure about ..... and it does well.  Please don't stop entering.  I've felt the same way you do now ..... believe me.  I joined here in 2007 and then left, for many years, because I thought I couldn't compete and it was not as friendly on here as it is now.  Chin up and keep that great work coming.  Your compass was astounding.  I never turned out anything like that within the short time you have been doing PDN.  Chins up sweetie <3 .

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Well said Nanette. 

@Sasha - I've never won anything on this forum, and I'm a Moderator :)  Please keep posting your works.  You have a great talent in the making.  Use the experience of others here who are happy to provide assistance and direction.

@Sasha

Entering competitions gives you an opportunity to challenge yourself. You look at what others do, be inspired by their work and attempt to understand their methodology before slowly applying this to your work.

In as far as I am concerned, if I have created something which exceeds my expectations then I have won the competition in my mind. A 1st, 2nd or 3rd is for the masses, for me growing as an artist and expanding my understanding of PDN is what it is all about.

I've watched you grow just as I have watched nitenurse and others do the same. You are headed in the right direction, which is more or less where we all commenced. Your work is starting to blossom, so I would like to encourage you to keep going... in a years time you'll look back on all of these comments of encouragement, and you'll be glad that you persevered!

:smile:

• Upvote 2
naturesig.png

• 2 weeks later...

REALLY cool theme this week :D But I don't think I would be able to do something with it :S

Same here. I have just spent over an hour looking at Escher's work and there is no way I could make a sig as complex as that work. It will be interesting to see some of the entries though, a chance to learn from the best :)

swIFX9v.png

There are a few times when comments have been made that a work is quite Escherish. It doesn't need to be complicated like Eschers. Hopefully we will get a few more entries & that might inspire you. It just needs to be a bit of a mind bender. I haven't really started to think on what I will do. Hopefully I will get time. Big clean up after the floods. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'm also scratching my head (and I thought it up - sorry tears.gif   ) But as @BBQ says in her post, it can be anything 'unusual' ...... squiggles, swirls, circles - you can do anything fun with almost anything.  What a hoot that @DD & @WB had the same thought :smile:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.