[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

7 hours ago, MightyCarlosLP said:

many of these are often outdated styles, some did go out of the usual though, why is paint.net so often outdated style art?

it's not great for tablet drawing so all the drawn styles are more or less not going to happen. That leaves mostly digital stuff like 24-bit, pixel art, and whatever photomanips you get with filters

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would really like to enter these SOTW competitions, but they do seem to be morphing into an object of the fortnight competitions of late sadly. I do understand from my mum that the winner of the previous competition picks the next topic, but I think they are getting more harder to join in IMO. 

LNXDeXK.png

59 minutes ago, Svea.ling said:

they do seem to be morphing into an object of the fortnight competitions of late sadly.

Not really.

First of all, your Object entry has to be 100% PDN while your Signature entry can be anything. Using a clipart is ok (with a link). Using a photo is ok (check the Dream plugin SOTW, for example). Some people find it funny and inspiring to make it "all PDN" - just like OOTF - but you don't have to. Creative use of stock images have won many times in the past.

What matters is your idea, and how you improvise within it, using various effects and styles - and tricks.😏 One of the biggest SOTW challenges is size because 500x200 feels very limited sometimes. It is hard but interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

signature.png.ebe2dec8b8faab2aa57630b352

my gallery is  here

On 11/1/2021 at 1:17 PM, Vagabondi said:

Not really.

First of all, your Object entry has to be 100% PDN while your Signature entry can be anything. Using a clipart is ok (with a link). Using a photo is ok (check the Dream plugin SOTW, for example). Some people find it funny and inspiring to make it "all PDN" - just like OOTF - but you don't have to. Creative use of stock images have won many times in the past.

What matters is your idea, and how you improvise within it, using various effects and styles - and tricks.😏 One of the biggest SOTW challenges is size because 500x200 feels very limited sometimes. It is hard but interesting. 

Well Said, most especially for me that have really forgotten the specifics of each.  It is good to have young questioning eyes and minds to keep us on our toes. :mrviolet:   

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

• 4 weeks later...

This has probably been asked a lot before but I have a question on SOTW or really any competition. If you are a participant in the competition are you allowed to vote? And if you are allowed to vote, can you vote for yourself?

Edited by Fixsel

gsigline.png.ec83e47886c75fac1fb8ddc01cb0d92c.png

1 hour ago, Fixsel said:

If you are a participant in the competition are you allowed to vote? And if you are allowed to vote, can you vote for yourself?

Yes, you may vote; even for yourself.

• Thanks 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Voting for yourself would be biased, but I don't see how it would be unfair.  Each person's votes are counted equally.

If your art is high quality, you should vote for it.

Imagine if a politician didn't vote for him/her self; it would be an admission of no-confidence of one's self.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, lynxster4 said:

Examples can be viewed here.

Hi Manc.  Click on the 'here'.  

Step 3. Choose Save As and not 'Open'.

• 4 weeks later...

Entry posted

SOTW-EER.jpg 

Link to full-sized image: https://i.postimg.cc/tRcnJP9W/SOTW-EER-large.jpg

Font is Earth Orbiter from DaFont. Everything else is PDN.

It looks best on a dark background, so I suggest opening it over one, or turning on the dark forum theme for a proper viewing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just now, Ego Eram Reputo said:

SOTW-Doom-EER.jpg

I can't claim any of these images. They are all ripped from the game DOOM/DOOM2. The last difficulty setting was generated using this: https://c.eev.ee/doom-text-generator

This image was assembled some time ago for the main panel on my DOOM Box. I updated the image by adding my username as the fifth difficulty setting :)

20201101-153501      20201101-153551

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15250-video-gaming-thread/?do=findComment&comment=589939

Neat stuff there @Ego Eram Reputo.  I can't tell you how many happy hours I wasted when the Atari first came out.

I was young (early 20's)?  Much fun doing tournaments with the family.  To see what it's evolved into is mind-blowing.

Now, I'm taking a roller coaster ride with this big thing on my head and trying not to throw up. 😆  Don't know if VR is for me; kind of dizzying to say the least.

I had an Atari STFM. I manually soldered 512kb of memory into it to bring it up to 1meg. I was the envy of my friends!

I loved that Atari. It had something called STOS basic. Even learned to program it in 68000 machine code :)

I'm definitey an 'old school' gamer. Curreny playing my way through Heretic (a DOOM clone in a medieval setting) on the DOOM box.

• 5 months later...

@Maximilian  It's great to have you back!!  🤗  Thanks for entering the comp. Hope to see more of you...it's been deader than a doornail on here.

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to @lynxster4 & @Pixey for keeping this thread going! - Rude for me not to participate with this theme 😁, so a little surrealist experiment 🤪.

In all honesty, if you enjoy T.G.A. you must check out @MJW's height map effects, which are capable of much higher quality output.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...