Scaling, moving images, and borders

Scaling

I am creating a photo montage using layers. I rotate, crop and resize images before I import them. I note, however, that the imported image size is not the same as that which I originally set. For example, an image that I resized to 42 centimetres wide imports as 37.5 centimetres, and another whose height was 12.5 centimetres imports as 9.37 centimetres. Both are three-quarters the size I saved them. Is there an explanation for this?

Moving images

I note that when I initially import an image, I can move it easily and smoothly. Returning to an image after importing other images, say, the image stutters in its movement and there is a delay in redrawing and it is difficult to position precisely. What is the explanation and is there a way to overcome it?

Borders

I should like to create a white border around some images so that they stand out over other images behind them. Is there a method by which I can precisely centre an image over a larger background to create a required border size?

I don't know if this help, but I have experience some of this at times.

I have found that the "quality" option if not set to 100 makes changes to jpg. Sometimes I forget to uncheck or check the "aspect ratio" when changing resize or canvas size, then I do a bunch of work not realizing this (face palm).

When I get a huge lag doing a project, I realize that my computer has a very small brain (celeron D) and it becomes very slow, thus my patience is tested. SO, whatever I am doing it really uses up the CPU power and creates the lag.

Take a look at the tutorial on Polaroids, montage, also someone did a great tutorial on a filmstrip, another fav. Create the border you want, save it for future use.

Some one will come along here and give more tips that will make mine become irrelevant.

good luck

2:58 am that might something to think about too.

vent_truk.jpg

Scaling

I am creating a photo montage using layers. I rotate, crop and resize images before I import them. I note, however, that the imported image size is not the same as that which I originally set. For example, an image that I resized to 42 centimetres wide imports as 37.5 centimetres, and another whose height was 12.5 centimetres imports as 9.37 centimetres. Both are three-quarters the size I saved them. Is there an explanation for this?

Yep. I bet the pixel size is the same, is it not? That's because you're importing them at a different resolution than you saved them at. Unless you're planning on printing them, there's no need to worry about it.
Moving images

I note that when I initially import an image, I can move it easily and smoothly. Returning to an image after importing other images, say, the image stutters in its movement and there is a delay in redrawing and it is difficult to position precisely. What is the explanation and is there a way to overcome it?

I've never experienced this, but I imagine it's because since you've imported more images, it adds a significant RAM load.
Borders

I should like to create a white border around some images so that they stand out over other images behind them. Is there a method by which I can precisely centre an image over a larger background to create a required border size?

You can use the Align Objects plugin to do that, but if you just want a white border, give the Outline Objects plugin a try. Both are available in the plugin forum. Use http://searchpaint.net to take a look. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.