how to remove the checkerboard from an image

Hi, I am a newbie to paint.net and I have a question on how to paste an image onto another image. I was trying to create a midfield logo onto an image of a football field. The logo was taken from another image. When I try to paste the logo onto the football field, the logo is surrounded by a white and grey checkerboard. My question is how do I remove the checkerboard from the midfield logo? I want the area surrounding the logo to match the color of the football field. I have provided an image on what my pic looks like. Thank you in advance.

32261_abd4ad461a507256dac1bea9ac66b98e

Hi, I am a newbie to paint.net and I have a question on how to paste an image onto another image. I was trying to create a midfield logo onto an image of a football field. The logo was taken from another image. When I try to paste the logo onto the football field, the logo is surrounded by a white and grey checkerboard. My question is how do I remove the checkerboard from the midfield logo? I want the area surrounding the logo to match the color of the football field. I have provided an image on what my pic looks like. Thank you in advance.

On the other hand, maybe it's just a matter of not having removed the white

from the original helmet picture.

There are many ways of doing that. One way is to put the helmet on a new layer

as Onemorelevel says, then increasing magnification and using the eraser tool.

It's hard to say without more info on what you have already tried.