Restoring a corupted pdn file

ariaane

My laptop shut down whilst I was in the middle of saving a file. Now I can't open the file.

"There was an error reading the file from the media" is now the message that appears whenever I try to open the file.

I've tried using "system restore" to no avail, and tried google searching for a free option.

I am using Windows Vista home edition.

Someone, please help.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there's no way to repair a corrupted file. If you'd like to place it in a .ZIP file and upload it here, we could take a look at it...but I'm afraid there's no recovering it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks for the response.

I put a lot of time into the image, so that is upsetting. I think I'll have to stick to using Gimp, as the problem I'm having seems rather common with paintnet.

Anyway, here is the image in a zip file. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

I downloaded it, but unfortunately couldn't make it work.

Now, I'm not sure who told you that, but I don't think the problem is common with Paint.NET; in fact, in my 4-5 year experience with Paint.NET, I've never had a problem with a corrupted save file. In fact, the problem is likely with the fact that your computer shut down in the process of saving; this prevents critical data from being written and renders the file impossible to open. You'd be likely to have the same problem with Microsoft Word, The GIMP, even Photoshop.

The best cure for this would be to save often, under multiple file names. Then, in the unfortunate event that this happens, you have a copy of the file that's uncorrupted. (This is good advice for EVERY program. :-))

Sorry that I couldn't get it to work.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I've never had this issue with Gimp or Word, and my laptop has closed unexpectantly whilst saving (I have an issue with my laptop- I'm guessing it's the processor).

The annoying thing is you can actually see a preview/thumbnail of the image, but can't actually access it when you open it.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

I think the reason you've never had problems with those programs is that they "auto-save," or save periodically throughout the session. Rick has never been able to create a workable autosave in Paint.NET.

I really do recommend you save often. It really does help things in the future.