Hello to all and a PSD question

First - Hello to all of you. It's my first visit here.

I found paint.net over a search for editing photoshop images, psd files.

What I wanted to do is editing an image in psd, mainly the text in it. Can be a header or a banner or a ebook cover.

So can I upload a psd into paint.net and then edit the text in it ? I understood that this has something to do with layers.

Sorry to sound like a idiot, but I am when it comes to designer stuff like this one.

I heard that GIMP can do this, just looks like a very complicated interface to me.

Thank you all for the answers.

G.

You can, using the Photoshop File Type Plugin. Paint.NET doesn't support text layers, though, so it'll all be rasterized upon opening.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You can, using the Photoshop File Type Plugin. Paint.NET doesn't support text layers, though, so it'll all be rasterized upon opening.

Thanks David

so does that mean that I can't edit the text in a PSD file ? Or will it simply dissapear what would not be a problem as then I could insert my own text.

I already downloaded the plugins but have some difficulties to understand how to upload them. I'm some "plug+play" techy and have no clue what the "installation instructions" explain.

G.

so does that mean that I can't edit the text in a PSD file ? Or will it simply dissapear what would not be a problem as then I could insert my own text.

As I understand the plugin, the text will simply appear as an image.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.