Jouno53's Gallery for Visual Art Class

jouno53

Hello everyone, I just got into a Visual Art/web design class at a local college, so that I may earn fine arts credit while in high school without having to take 'real' art class. I've been pretty into Paint.net for several years, as I cannot afford to go out and buy CS4 or whatever. My class is on Tues. nights, and my first class was last week.

Anyways, my first project is to gather images for manipulation in class (I'm ahead in the game because I don't know how to use photoshop that well, let alone on Macs) and eventually use them in a website that is about myself. However, there's a twist. It cannot really be about me, it has to be completely fake... so... I decided to make myself the teacher of a Jedi Academy! :)

I've been working a lot today on editing a few of the pictures, so have produced the following so far. I know they're pretty basic with mainly just lightsaber effects added on, but over time I will add more and hope to receive some advice. Well, thanks a lot!

Original #1

1002070.th.jpg

Edit #1 - Big time cropping out of the date, as well as adding lightsabers and some fun fire effects

chrisandyfire.th.png

Edit #2 - Just cropping and lightsabers

chrisandy2.th.png

Original #2

1002062t.th.jpg

Edit #1 - Lightsaber effects as well as darkening and contrast increase to enhance image.

3attack.th.png

Who the Son sets free, is free indeed.

pyrosig_small-1.png

i have to agree with one more level i have toyed with cs3 and i like pdn better for making things from scratch. Photoshop is more for image editing in my opinion but you can do a lot of cool creations with it.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Okay cool, thanks guys. The majority of this class will be dreamweaver/flash based but for this kind of stuff I would prefer PDN as I'm more familiar with it.

Basically, graphic design used to be a prerequisite for this class, which I did not take, so the professor is trying it without the prerequisite for the first time.

pyrosig_small-1.png

You guys look like you're having fun, always smiling (: You should make someone use the force or something, that would be interesting. I like your avatar by the way.

Cdawgsig.jpg

Click on my signature to take a gander at my gallery. Tell me what you think!

Thanks for the replies guys, here are some more!

By the way, a very gracious friend of mine is currently lending me an adobe design premium activation, so I now have access to Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop CS3. Paint.net is much easier to use though.

austinvsryan.th.png

forcelevitation.th.png

lightninga.th.png

shootinglasers.th.png

jumping.th.png

pyrosig_small-1.png

I like your force levitation, lightning, and latest lightsaber one.

Great job overall man, you're definitely improving.

One suggestion though - I would put more emphasis on perspective with the lightsabers - sometimes they aren't perfectly parallel to the camera in your pics and it makes theme look like miniatures. If instead you treated them like a flat plane, you could get better perspective out of the edited versions.

Also, have you tried any animation? I was playing around with it a little while back - and while it's super tedious and long (even at just 25 frames per second) you can get some awesome outcomes.

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

I like your force levitation, lightning, and latest lightsaber one.

Great job overall man, you're definitely improving.

One suggestion though - I would put more emphasis on perspective with the lightsabers - sometimes they aren't perfectly parallel to the camera in your pics and it makes theme look like miniatures. If instead you treated them like a flat plane, you could get better perspective out of the edited versions.

Also, have you tried any animation? I was playing around with it a little while back - and while it's super tedious and long (even at just 25 frames per second) you can get some awesome outcomes.

Thanks I appreciate it. The finished site is due next tuesday so I'm working on that now.

What do you mean by they aren't perfectly parallel to the camera? Could you elaborate on this a bit?

As for animation, when we get into Flash I'll probably be able to make some cool stuff.

pyrosig_small-1.png

Those are pretty good, I like them.

Also, If you want to buy CS4, dont, try the trial, I did, and Paint.net is SOOOO much better.

Of course you would think Paint.NET is better...you've been using it for a much longer time. A 30-day trial period is not nearly enough to be acquainted with the many different tools in Photoshop. If you were to use Photoshop for as long as you have Paint.NET, your opinion might change.

@jouno53: Good job on a lot of the manipulations. I do have a suggestion: in the Force Lightning image, try using something like glow on the blue lines. Also, consider tinging the surrounding environment with the color of the lightning (this, by the way, goes for all things that emit light, like a lightsaber). This adds a touch of realism since the lightning is giving off light of its own.