Starscapes

Sharp

thanks but now when i clone stamp it doesnt make any thing i pressed ctrl and the thing i wanted cloned i treid it erases other thing i checked if aa was on and it isnt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very useful background when creating planet and outerspace

newsplinteredsigawesome100PDN.png

Don't take the "Christ" out of Christmas. X-mas

"Remember kids, Don't try this at home go to a friends house"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sharp said "And now your done! Comments/criticism/questions welcome."

In that case I'll tell you the positives and negatives of your tut.

Negative: I had done this tut without cloning from different star layers. Later, I saw a post telling to clone from different layers. So that was what was going wrong. I was going to abandon it...

Positive: ...until I transformed into a dusty nebula. Overall your tutorial was good. Probably if I try again, I may make a nice starfield.

Design: 9/10 :)

Process: 5/10 (I am sorry Sharp, but that is my opinion. You said "Comments/criticism/questions welcome.")

Inspiration 7/10 :) (At least, I made a nebula.)

A question for you.

Why don't you edit your tutorial and put the instruction to clone from different star layers?

Edited by Yusuf Zah

• 1 year later...

I feel like this should be a super easy tutorial, but I am honestly stumped. lol

So, who wants to clarify step 3 for me?

"Now add a black layer this," this? what is the "this"?

Also, I have some confusion on the order of the layers and the erasing, but instead of explaining my confusion, I'll just ask,

Where does the black layer go, above or below the stars layer?

Am I suposed to be able to see what I'm erasing?

What size of eraser should I use?

And I just want to double check, for the eraser's opacity, he is talking about the “transparency – alpha” adjustment in the colors window, right?

Next is step 4, I'm not getting the milky-way starry effect like his image shows, so does anyone want to give me their extra tips or pointers?

3. Now add a black layer this, and just erase the stars layer randomly, with a 50-100 opacity eraser. Make sure AA is off when you use the eraser.

4. Here's the part where you really go crazy :) Merge down with your black layer, then duplicate. Grab the clone stamp tool, then randomly clone stamp from the star layer onto a new layer. make sure AA is off when you use the clone stamp. On the new layer you can set it to normal to just cover the old stars, or set it to screen and have it add to them. Also, you can mess with the opacity of these new layers. Merge down then repeat the process until you get something you like. Try to pick some areas where there won't be many stars, and some where there will be a bunch all clumped together.

Optional: You can try clouds with a small scale, then run dents with a large scale. Select this layer and put it to color dodge, then erase any big clumps of white that stand out.

3843927722_2d1514629a.jpg

Thanks! :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Hi, I haven't done this tutorial before, but I got up to where you're having problems. :)

Flatten layer one and two together, add new layer above the flattened layers, make it black and I set the Blending Mode to Screen.

I used both size 50 and 100 size eraser and I set the opacity lower than 50 which is the “transparency – alpha” adjustment in the colors window.

I've always had trouble using the clone stamp, but I'll try to finish this.

SloppySig.png

Good job here bro!One problem,I'm too stupid to get past step 2!!!Sad. For instance  ",Open up a new canvas that is 2x your starscape canvas, fill the canvas with black, then add noise at the same settings as earlier.. Run brightness contrast at -100/50, then run median with 100 percentile and a 1-3 radius. Next run a 1-2 px gaussian blur if you want. Now copy+paste"

should I have 1 or 2 layers BEFORE I start step 2?Also,if someone could give me a step by step on the copy and paste method,I'd be on my way.Thannks in advance.

One layer. This step is to create background star field. This will be resized and pasted into a second layer in the first image.

Press Ctrl + A to select all the layer then Ctrl + C to copy it to the clipboard. You can also do this via the menus.

Go back to the first image and create a new layer. Ctrl + V pastes the clipboard into this new layer. From there you flatten and continue.

Good luck!

One layer. This step is to create background star field. This will be resized and pasted into a second layer in the first image.

Press Ctrl + A to select all the layer then Ctrl + C to copy it to the clipboard. You can also do this via the menus.

Go back to the first image and create a new layer. Ctrl + V pastes the clipboard into this new layer. From there you flatten and continue.

Good luck!

Thanks Ego Eram Reputo.Which Im guessing has something to do with ones ego and reputation in Latin.

Thanks Ego Eram Reputo.Which Im guessing has something to do with ones ego and reputation in Latin.

I believe it's "I Was Thinking".

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 months later...

Ya I still don't get this.I don't know how anyone got this right unless they guessed/improvised.I'm pretty confident this was written incorrectly.No disrespect to the author.I understand how to copy+paste now though.I think its on page 2 where cc4fuzzyhuggles explains the problems quite well.

Edited by johnnysdream

Which step are you having difficulty with?

I feel like this should be a super easy tutorial, but I am honestly stumped. lol

So, who wants to clarify step 3 for me?

"Now add a black layer this," this? what is the "this"?

Also, I have some confusion on the order of the layers and the erasing, but instead of explaining my confusion, I'll just ask,

Where does the black layer go, above or below the stars layer?

Am I suposed to be able to see what I'm erasing?

What size of eraser should I use?

And I just want to double check, for the eraser's opacity, he is talking about the “transparency – alpha” adjustment in the colors window, right?

Next is step 4, I'm not getting the milky-way starry effect like his image shows, so does anyone want to give me their extra tips or pointers?

Thanks! :)

With step 2 where it says `open a new canvas' he just means open a new image. Then copy and paste those stars to a new layer in your original image, do whatever you need to do on that layer then flatten the image. There should be just two layers to flatten - the Background layer and the pasted layer.

In step 3 - add a new layer above your flattened layers in the original image , colour it black then start using the eraser.

As you erase the black layer you will see the stars underneath on the layer below. This way you can choose how many stars you want to show through.

Size of eraser? Down to you really depending on the size of your starscape. The larger the image the bigger the size of eraser I would think . Of course you could also vary the size for different parts of the image. If you wanted to leave a large dark area use a large eraser, and smaller for a small area. This is really all down to personal preference.

Opacity - yes you are quite right there. This would be adjusted in the colours window.

Step 4 - I can`t really add much to the tut there I`m afraid. I think he has done a decent enough job describing the process. If you do want more stars in a particular area like in the tut though , just use a starrier area when clone stamping. This is definitely one of those tuts where practice makes perfect.  :)

If you want some more tips on creating starfields have a read of this excellent PS tutorial by Greg Martin -

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts_arts/making_a_star_field.html

Hope this clears a few things up.

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Awesome.That pretty much nails it guys.Yes,the size of the eraser and most of all step 3.Thank you very much for the interest.Now I'm getting paid to drive a little pop up camper from Indiana and drop it off in New York.So I will be back in a about 2 days with results.