Waves
Custom Brushes mini

Other resources:
Smoke brushes that i used
More smoke brushes that i found after writing this tutorial
[topic=
18959]Details on how to install custom brushes[/topic]
Step 1
Open paint.net and create a new document :FileNew: , I used 2400x1600 because i like to use double the resolution for when i
resize the picture to my wallpaper size later. Alright now Select the gradient tool :GradientTool: and click on the radial style button :RadialGradient: , now use #07090a - #202b35 for the colors.(those are hex numbers you can type them directly into the box on the more section of colors)
Now fill the canvas with the radial gradient. If your black is on the inside right click the inside gradient marker to make it on the outside.
smokeeffect1.png
Step 2
Now is the time to add some text. I used Wolf's Rain. But it doesn't matter what text you use. Now Effects>Blurs>Motion blur :MotionBlur: at 90 degrees
and about 27 distance.
motionblur.png
Step 3
Now go to Effects>distort>waves. Now put the radius at 2500.00 and leave the rest at defaults(here would be a great spot to experiment).
waves.png
Step 4
go to Effects>blurs>gaussian blur+. Change the blending mode to color dodge and blur at around 18 pixels. If you want for added effect change the layer's blending
mode to color dodge as well.
gaussianblurlayer.png
Step 5
Alright now create a :AddNewLayer: new layer ontop of all the other layers. Now go to effects>render>clouds you can play with the settings here to change the outcome of the finished product.
Make sure you have default black and white selected here before you render the clouds. Change the layer blending mode to color dodge and lower the opacity of the layer to your
liking
cloudslayer.png
Step 6
Alright now select your text layer and go to effects>custombrushesmini>draw with custom brushes mini. now select your smoke brush and use whatever size brush that looks good to you.
now draw out your design, but make sure it looks like the smoke is coming from the text, this part takes a little trial and error.
custombrushes.png
Step 7
repeat step 6 making a few more smoke lines like below. just for added effect
smokelayer.png
Step 8
Flatten the image(ctrl+shift+f) now go to effects>color> invert intensity. Now is where some creativity can come in change the color hue how you see fit and mess with the contrast and brightness as you see fit.

and here is the final outcome....
desolation2.png
hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial as much as i did and i hope that my first tutorial was a good one :D

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Updated links

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

aye it is a brush but i love the effect that comes with it lol... i wish i could figure out how to make smoke like that 100% pdn maybe that will be my next project. But its still rendered 100% pdn. So you could call it like 99.3% pdn lol.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

well to each their own, i personally enjoy brushes they are another creative tool in the arsenal. But i respect your viewpoint. I would love to see other people's outcome on this.

thanks im glad you like it man i found a paintshop tutorial for this and i was like hey i could totally do this on paint.net so i painstakingly ported it to paint.net... i am in the process of doing another text effect. I will post it in the abstract gallery when i am done with it

there is a link at the top on how to install the brushes... i may simplify that tutorial though beacause it is very vauge if you will pm me i will guide you through how to install them.

that would be awesome if you did make a smoke plugin i would totally use it all the time.

Maybe I will do it in the future if I ever do learn how to program, might be a while, but you could ask another member who is a computer programmer, such as Simon, Pyrochild, Madjik, and many others. ;)

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

the links to the plug-ins used and how to install brushes are in the main post. Here is a result of my own tutorial that i did without any brushes selfmadesmoke.png

the links to the plug-ins used and how to install brushes are in the main post. Here is a result of my own tutorial that i did without any brushes selfmadesmoke.png

Cool. I think I even like that one more than the brush set. Nice job! :D I guess you used some smudging effects and stuff in there. :)

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

that i did that i did... some clever blending modes and smudging is all it took... someone challenged me to make it 100% pdn so i did lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you still have these smoke brushes because I keep getting a 404 error when visiting the page where they used to be located, if you could upload them somewhere so, we could still download them, that would be very much appreciated.

hmmm i will have to check out the link for them... i do still have the brushes but it would be against their copy right to redistribute them. evidently their server is down for some reason.