Optimize photos for website w/o resizing?

Parrot Lady

I have tons of photos on my site that are slowing down the load time. Someone suggested I use Paint.net to fix them.

How do I optimize the photos without making them smaller? My banner at the top of my pages is my biggest problem.

Thanks for any help you can give. (I am not a computer person, so speak non-computer language.) Tracie

If it's a JPEG just open it, and then the first time you do a File -> Save, it will ask you to configure the quality. Adjust it until you find a good balance between the quality of the image and file size that it reports.

Honestly 24k for a parrot banner isn't that large, but I'm fully used to broadband speed.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The website that she is talking about is a website about parrots. And her name is Parot Lady. What do you mean, "what do parrots have to do with this?" They have everything to do with this!

Hey!!!

Sig edited by Rick: Picture is way too big. Please fix.

Personally.....I never use a jpeg on my site, I only have 2 .gif, and that is because they are animated...

I am strictly PNG...but they do take a while longer to load, so I suggest working out your jpeg balance for quality.

ravennm3.png

Personally.....I never use a jpeg on my site, I only have 2 .gif, and that is because they are animated...

I am strictly PNG...but they do take a while longer to load, so I suggest working out your jpeg balance for quality.

JPEG is for photos. Even with the highest quality, it is proved that it has very tiny bluriness in the pics. That's why PNG rules: low size, high quality.

sig6rj3.png

JPEG is for photos. Even with the highest quality, it is proved that it has very tiny bluriness in the pics. That's why PNG rules: low size, high quality.

low size, yes, for photographs, no. png is optimized sortof like GIF is (in my experience) PNG has really small file sizes if there are fairly large areas of a single color in the image. If it's a photograph though, PNGs are huge compared to a 75-80% quality jpeg. and, in a photograph, jpegs don't really degrade the quality that much unless you go under about 60% quality. There are utilities that will shrink PNGs though.

Lawless%20government%20sig.png

hehe...

I was bored in paint.net and I made this.

cartooned9.png

PNG is the best...I used to save EVERYTHING in jpeg, then I looked at the same graphic in jpeg and then png...Never went back.

ravennm3.png

Haha, I am sorry rick....I was completely bored..

I havent used JPEG 2000...

But As I said before..Mrs. Parrot, I would suggest trying PNG....if not that...Mess around with other files...tff is about as good as PNG..

ravennm3.png