When I resize lage jpegs, type comes out blurry -- help!...

I make graphics using a low-level publishing software. Results are great -- but HUGE files.

Then I convert it to jpeg -- then I use paint.net to resize the file -- but when I do that, the type comes out slightly out of focus. Any way to avoid that?

PS: I choose the "best quality" resizing. Also, I have not upgraded my paint software -- I'm using an old version.

Please advise.

Thanks!

-- TW

I'm making the file smaller.

For right now I suggest you upgrade like Ash advised. I have never sized down an image at it gets blurry. An image should only get blurry if you enlarge the image.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

The drop down menu says...

- Best Quality

- Bicubic

- Bilinear

- Nearest Neighbor

I just always pick "by percentage" + "best quality" -- figuring it would give me -- well -- the best quality.

No?

What should I select if I want to avoid the blurry text problem. By the way, the jpegs have photos AND type in the SAME jpeg. The photos seem to come out ok, but the accompanying text is somewhat blurry.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-- TW

Any way you can show us a picture of the image that is getting blurry and a pick of it before it is resized?

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Here's the original (large) file...

painttest.jpg

here's the smaller ("resized") version...

painttestsmaller.jpg

The posting of these jpegs may or may not work. Imageshack seemed to have some problem with the larger file.

SO FORGET BEING ABLE TO SEE THE LARGER FILE -- the imageshack way of posting those pics didn't work (above).

Here's a way for you to at least see the BLURRY text problem...

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddv6w6xh_1570fvq557fn

Also, when I uploaded the pics, it asked me for the option of "optimizing without resizing" (I did not select that option) -- but here's my question... I thought "optimizing" images WAS resizing them (synonymous) -- no?

No.

Ok, Seriously. Have you upgraded Paint.NET yet? Do so.

Also, JPG is a lossy format. Things will get blurry - it's just a fact of life.

Finally, unless you're resizing on by a factor of halves (50%, 25%), you'll get more blurriness.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.