Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

* Improved Quick Spanner/ Wrench

welshblue    562

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This tut is looking a bit jaded and faded so I'm going to be re-vamping it to a newer sexier version.

I'll be updating it over the coming weeks as I work out quicker, simpler steps for all level of Paint.NET users.

Working towards something like the image below:

th_RingSpanners.png

Plug-Ins Needed:

I'll start of with making the 2D version of the spanner

spannerhandle1.jpg
spannerhandle2.jpg
spannerhandle3.jpg
spannerhandle4.jpg

Now for the fun/ tricky part. For those who want to make their own shiney cog here's a .png template

gearcogs-ringspannertemplate.png

For those who want to use a ready made one - there's over 20 layers in it, so it's easier to share than write a separate tut'

cogpng.png

Now for the magical part ... Use Inside Out on the cog. It gives you this:

step2insideout.jpg
spannerhandle5.jpg
spannerhandle6.jpg
spannerhandle7.jpg
spannerhandle8.jpg

... I'll post the steps for making it 3D when I've worked out a simpler, quicker way ...

Hidden Content:
This is a quick tut' in how I made the spanner/ wrench in this image:
th_brightspark.jpg

Finishes to metals are always a personal thing and I'll let you's decide which you want, making it quicker and easier for me to write this tut' :lol:

... plus the hamster powering my PC is looking very tired, running around on his lil' wheel ...

The inspiration came from Ash's 3D Chrome tut' Click thanks Ash

Hidden Content:
th_1.jpg

th_2.jpg

th_3.jpg

th_4.jpg

th_5.jpg

th_6.jpg

th_7.jpg

th_8.jpg

th_9.jpg

th_10.jpg

th_11.jpg

th_12.jpg

th_13.jpg

*** Don't forget. To get the best finishes Feather/ Alpha Mask as you go.

Like everything, the end result will always reflect the preparation. As will putting your own personal touches ... like any tut'

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added PDF link

welshblue    562

Thanks guys :D

From expert tut' writers like yourselves, that really does mean something :!:

Although I've just realised there should be a step 14 ... put some shadows down the shaft/ handle below the ring and open ender :roll:

I guess that can come under personal touches :lol:

sokagirl    3

I just tried this and got stuck at number 5 where it says select the yellow part and delete but when I did that it removed the circle instead :oops: my main question is how do I select the yellow rounded line ?

welshblue    562

Just checking if you drew the yellow line on a new layer ?

After that, on the yellow line layer ... magic wand anywhere on the canvas and then press ctrl i

... the marching ants are just around the yellow line ?

Then switch to the Open End 1 Layer and press Delete on your keyboard. Delete the yellow layer from the Layers window and it should be good to go :wink:

Actually I've just noticed one layer should be called ring spanner ... but it started out as a double open ender. :)

And I'll be changing the images, so they're shown full size instead of clickable thumbs. More convenient ?

sokagirl    3

Let me try this again , I think I did . You know I'm really lame at making things :lol: crosses fingers ... Nope , doesn't work . I tried everything and still , the yellow thing is there . Instead the other part gets deleted . And yes , the ants are around it but it won't remove it . :oops: I guess I must be doing something wrong . Sorry

welshblue    562

I've started to re-write this to a sexier more realistic tutorial (IMO :P )

I've posted the 1st few steps, but if the Mods are unhappy because it's not a finished version, feel free to lock it (not that you need permission to do so :lol:) or I'll take the images down until I've worked out a quicker, simplified version

yellowman    205

Great improvement mate, can't wait to see the 3D version, I already had a whirl on that using your latest addition for the cog trick to do the rings for the spanner.

jim100361    61

cogpng.png

Now for the magical part ... Use Inside Out on the cog. It gives you this:

step2insideout.jpg

OK, something seems amiss here. I downloaded the cog above and used the "Inside/Out" plugin and this is what I got:

SpannerProb.png

Any ideas what happened?

Jaxon    6

[/center]

OK, something seems amiss here. I downloaded the cog above and used the "Inside/Out" plugin and this is what I got:

SpannerProb.png

Any ideas what happened?

This should give you the results you're looking for.

1.) Start with new canvas.

2.) Add new layer.

3.) Open png file.

4.) Copy & paste png file to new layer.

5.) Align object (center).

6.) Apply inside out plugin.

Edited by Jaxon

minners71    48

Nice tut, hope you don't mind but I was messing around with another tut,

and wondered what would happen if I made a silhouette of a spanner and followed it.

This came out.

I also got the same problems with the cogs after running the inside out plugin, haven't tried the new images you have posted though.

Just tried the new images and they work fine, I think its something to do with the size of the canvas as long as the cog is central the bigger the canvas the smaller the teeth.

Edited by minners71