Sign in to follow this  
DarkShock

Windows 7 Anyone? - Now with a Poll!

Will you upgrade?/Did you upgrade?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade?/Did you upgrade?

• Yes - Home Premium
    • Yes - Professional
    • Yes - Ultimate
    • No Windows 7 for me

Microsoft is reportedly trying to avoid claiming responsibility, blaming the problem on chipset driver issues and telling users to upgrade their firmware. Yes, that makes absolutely no sense, considering the bug has been verified to exist in VMware.

What does VMWare have to do with it? I stopped reading at this point; clearly this person knows far less about the issue, Windows, computers, or... anything else than he seems to believe.

It is so catastrophic that 99% of casual Windows 7 users will never see it! Seriously, though. It is pretty major. Especially because many notebooks, desktops, and netbooks sold these days either have the OS on a separate partition, or a backup partition.

Hi to all...

I am Allen i upgrade my Xp to vista nowhear about windows 7 great feature i would definitely upgrade it...

If anyone already upgraded it can you give me some basic requirement of it....

Yes, please upgrade to Windows 7. The sooner I can drop XP support, the better.

Don't drop support for XP, until you are sure people won't be pissed! I still use XP!, and i'm not upgrade to windows 7 UNLESS If i get a new PC. With Windows, installing a newer of (EX: installing Windows vista, on an Windows xp comp) isn't the best. With windows, it's better to get the OS preinstalled

I WILL NOT buy Windows 7 for my windows vista laptop, or my windows xp computer.

Don't drop support for XP, until you are sure people won't be pissed! I still use XP!, and i'm not upgrade to windows 7 UNLESS If i get a new PC. With Windows, installing a newer of (EX: installing Windows vista, on an Windows xp comp) isn't the best. With windows, it's better to get the OS preinstalled

I WILL NOT buy Windows 7 for my windows vista laptop, or my windows xp computer.

Calm down. Remember he's just one guy. If there was a way that would mean you having to work less harder I'm sure you'd look forward to that, too.

Also: Why don't you just use Paint.NET on your Vista laptop. He's not dropping support for Vista.

im not sure what os to use after rc runs out >_>

oses are so expensive :/

I have a Vista 64 DVD that came with my laptop. It seems to have unlimited installs... McPwn!

I have a Vista 64 DVD that came with my laptop. It seems to have unlimited installs... McPwn!

Dude, you should like charge people like 50 bucks to install it for them. So much cheaper than buying it. You'll make so much! :lol:

Notice I said "please". 8)

As a developer I'd love to drop XP support but I can't/won't until I have solid business justification. That means the XP user base is small enough and is clearly shrinking month-over-month, or I decide to keep the last XP-supporting version of Paint.NET around until that point is reached. Or something.

Win2K support was dropped when it was at about 5% of the Paint.NET userbase and shrinking every month.

I expect that in 2 years time, this will be something that is more viable to investigate. Are you sure you'll still want to use a 10 year old operating system by then?

dang.

i hate ubuntu, its so ugh.

i want a mac os - hackintosh, but drivers probably would have bad support.

windows 7 comes out with 32bit & 64 bit cds - all for 1 price :D

Are you sure you'll still want to use a 10 year old operating system by then?

So true. In 10 years enough technology changes and developments have occurred that we should be jumping to get new operating systems, among other things, not clinging to dinosaurs like XP. Imagine if we were still using Windows 2000 today? Besides I'm sure Rick wouldn't suggest dropping XP if there wasn't good reason for it, even if it is simply a matter of convenience for him. He's THE developer for goodness sake!

If you are still using Windows XP and worried about being dropped for PdN support then you should read this post straight from the Paint.NET Blog: http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/11/05/october-2008-usage-statistics/

Main details:

XP support predicted to drop in 3-4 years

Over 70% PdN users use XP

Yes, the stats were from October last year, but I'm sure to majority of PdN users are still on XP. I'm sure Rick won't drop support for XP until the percentage drops to around 3-5%. Why would he drop support for XP users when they are the main PdN users. Support was dropped for Windows 2000 users when it was 4-5% and shrinking.

If you are still using Windows XP and worried about being dropped for PdN support then you should read this post straight from the Paint.NET Blog: http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/11/05/october-2008-usage-statistics/

Yes, the stats were from October last year, but I'm sure to majority of PdN users are still on XP. I'm sure Rick won't drop support for XP until the percentage drops to around 3-5%. Why would he drop support for XP users when they are the main PdN users. Support was dropped for Windows 2000 users when it was 4-5% and shrinking.

I just posted stats for July 2009, http://blog.getpaint.net/2009/08/23/jul ... tatistics/ . To summarize ... adoption growth of 64-bit and Windows 7 is healthy. Windows XP usage has dropped by almost 10%, and hopefully it will start to plummet once Windows 7 is generally available (October 22nd and holidays).

Wow. The XP numbers has dropped by quite a lot. I'll probably be in the Windows 7 64-bit group. I'm guessing that will probably be the smallest percentage later on.

I like that the July 2009 stats has pie graphs. :D

Are you planning on dropping support for Windows 2003? The numbers are extremely small. :|