Special Border Tutorial (New/Improved)

DarkShock

Special Border Tutorial

This tutorial will show you how to improve the look of an image, but I mainly use these borders when making signatures and avatars. There are actually plenty of ways to make a border for a signature. There are different styles and variations and I will show you how to make three of them. They are actually very simple to make, but they do give your signatures a little bit more style. Thanks for visiting and enjoy the tutorial! - DarkShock91

Plugins Used: Outline Object - Frames

I will be working with this image:

B1.png

Possible Outcomes:

The 4-Pixel Single/Double Reflect Border

B2.png

The 6-Pixel Overlay Pattern Border

B3.png

The 4-Pixel Frame Overlay Border

B4.png

Section A - The 4-Pixel Single/Double Reflect Border

Hidden Content:
1. Begin with your signature and create a new layer at the very top of your signature.

2. Set your primary color to black.

3. Use the frames plugin (Effects > Render > Frames) and set the Frame Mode to "Single border using primary color" and change the width of your external border to 4. Note: You can leave all of the other settings as they are since they won't effect your border. Now it should look like there is a think a black border around your sig.

th_B5.png

*click for larger image

4. Open the layer properties for your border layer and set the blending mode to "Reflect." Feel free to change to opacity until you're satisfied.

th_B6.png

*click for larger image

5. Duplicate your border layer. Note: You can skip this step if you want. It only makes your border darker if you want it that way. This is what makes the border a double or single reflect. I used a double reflect in this signature.

6. Now just flatten your image and you're all set! :wink:

Section B - The 6-Pixel Overlay Pattern Border

Hidden Content:
1. Begin with your signature and create a new layer at the very top of your signature.

2. Set your primary color to black and your secondary as white.

3. Use the frames plugin (Effects > Render > Frames) and set the Frame Mode to "Double border using Prim. Second. colors" and set the width of your external border to 2 and the width of the internal border to 2. Note: You can leave all of the other settings as they are since they won't effect your border. Now it should look like your sig has a border with a black outer border and a white inner border.

th_B7.png

*click for larger image

4. Use the outline object plugin (Effects > Object > Outline Object) and keep your radius at 2, set the strength to 10, and make sure your outline color is set to black. Now your border should have a black, white, black pattern.

th_B8.png

*click for larger image

5. Open the layer properties for your border layer and set the blending mode to "Overlay." Feel free to change to opacity until you're satisfied.

th_B9.png

*click for larger image

Section C - The 4-Pixel Frame Overlay Border

Hidden Content:

2. Set your primary color to black and your secondary as white.

3. Use the frames plugin (Effects > Render > Frames) and set the Frame Mode to "Frame with two reversed corners" and set the width of your external border to 2 and the width of the internal border to 2. Note: You can leave all of the other settings as they are since they won't effect your border. Now it should look like your sig has a border with the black and white colors switching on each side.

th_B10.png

*click for larger image

4. Open the layer properties for your border layer and set the blending mode to "Overlay." Feel free to change to opacity until you're satisfied.

th_B11.png

*click for larger image

Thank you for visiting my tutorial. Hopefully your signatures are looking a whole lot better than before. Don't think that you are limited to the directions I gave you in these tutorials. There are many ways that you can customize your own border so feel completely free to use different blending modes, different colors, and different shapes for you borders. If you have a request for another kind of border than don't hesitate to send me a message and I'll see what I can do.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

nice. but i think i like your old special border more...

Actually if you haven't notice the 6-Pixel Overlay Pattern Border is the one I used in my old tutorial. I brought it back. :wink:

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

I use your border tutorial in my avatars. It makes an awesome outcome. Thanks for posting this new one. I will try it out.

Lucas_Signature_by_walrusworldstudios.png

I use your border tutorial in my avatars. It makes an awesome outcome. Thanks for posting this new one. I will try it out.

Thanks for the support! :wink:

It's great to see artists satisfied with my tutorials. :D

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about writing a tutorial on this. :( Although I suppose mine is done differently.

I make a border on a new layer, select the border with the wand tool, copy the part of the original picture below then paste it onto the layer with the black border. I set this to overlay and it gives a nice effect with light colors.

Rammstein-1.jpg

I was thinking about writing a tutorial on this. :( Although I suppose mine is done differently.

I make a border on a new layer, select the border with the wand tool, copy the part of the original picture below then paste it onto the layer with the black border. I set this to overlay and it gives a nice effect with light colors.

Rammstein-1.jpg

I loved your old border, now there is a new one. :D

The old one is still here. :wink:

I just renamed it the 6-Pixel Overlay. Thanks for the feedback guys. :D

I use your tutorial a lot when ever I make a signature .. I made this one , a Harry Potter character " Remus Lupin " aka Moony :P

Moonysignature.png

i LOVE it Soka :mrgreen:. Great use of DS's tut and it also helps that i am a abnormally avid reader of HP :lol:

I've been trying to think of two more borders to add to the tutorial. I'm a little stuck. Any ideas? :D

Would it be possible to make a rounded rectangle border with your tutorial ??

Possibly. Wow I can't believe I never though about that...

Thanks. :wink: