Possible .NET Framework 3.5 issue

I have been using Paint.NET for two years, upgrading it as new versions were available. I picked up a virus from an email recently and my company network team had to wiped the harddrive and reloaded it with the original (clean) versions of the same software I had. The laptop is loaded with MS XP and all the current updates including .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. I have no problems downloading and installing the Paint.NET program. However, when I try to run the program I get this error in a Paint.NET box:

Paint.NET has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveniece.

Administrator System Tools Event Viewer shows this when viewing the Application window:

Type:ERROR, Source:.NET Runtime, Description: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082-Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0979C6)(80131506)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Paint.NET and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, and rebooted the computer after each. This does not change the error notice.

Any suggestions on a fix or solution?

Shiny, always good to see another Browncoat in the verse. What type of crash log are you refering to, Paint.NET, .NET 3.5, or a XP application? I have nothing on my desktop indicating a crash report. Do I need to go to a XP application window to retreve the information to post it on the forum? The Paint.NET does not seem to crash, but to shutdown when faced with an interface problem with .NET.

When Paint.NET closes unexpectedly, it creates a text file called "pdncrash.log" and places it on your desktop. Open it, and copy the contents into a post on this forum.

If you don't have one, I recommend taking a screenshot of the dialog you get when it closes unexpectedly.

Not to fret, captain, we'll have your program runnin soon. ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I have checked for the "pdncrash.log" and none appears. I even looked in the Paint.NET folder in the Windows Program Files on the 'C' drive, nothing. This may be due to the fact that the program is being stopped before it gets to a fully running state, and being shut down before it can be established. Again, the only window that appears when I double click on the Paint.NET icon is a Paint.NET window that reads, 'Paint.NET has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience.', under that is a statement, 'If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.'

I have talked to other personnel in my Company and they have simular setups with programing and use Paint.NET with no problems. Are there public domain programs on the Internet that are know to cause problems with Paint.NET? The only other program I now use that I did not have before is 'Google Earth'. Otherwise, its the same as before.

Is there a way to run a tracing program to determine if a .DLL or other program is missing or interfering?

Type:ERROR, Source:.NET Runtime, Description: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082-Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0979C6)(80131506)

Try doing a websearch that includes those numbers -- that is, 7A0979C6 and 80131506.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg