Chocolate

emanda1964

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Hi

Im trying for a while to make a chocolate image and i think this one it pretty good

So the plugins needed

Clouds

Splinter (in blurs)

Ripple (distorsions)

Relief (stylize)

Colour flip rotate (colors)

Colour balance( adjustments)

Rotate/zoom (layers)

Tile reflection (distortion)

Of course we open new layer and render clouds (scale - 1000 and roughness - 1)

Then go to effects - distorsion and ripple (amount - 1; ripples-10.00; ripple phase- 0; highlight 82 and angle 55)

Now we need a new layer, render clouds same like first layer, and ripple again with same values only the angle

will be minus 55 this time

double click on this new layer and set the blend mode to screen

now we need to aply blur - splinter (no of splinters - 23; rotation - 25; distance - 117 and mode -lighten)

then go to the other layer and repeat blur splinter

now merge the two layers and aply a relief (angle 45)

we need a colour flip/rotate (its in effects, colours) and choose the one like in image below

after this go to adjustments, colour balance

red 20

green 0

blue -8

To get rid of the white line we need a rotate/zoom (layers) zoom 1;11

Then tile reflection (tile size 196; curvature minus 25)

and if u want to make it look like caramel u can do a relief again and then glow

I like more the caramel one ( the image and the taste! lol)

logo-1.jpg

Cool! I haven't even started but I just want to say something about this part:

So the plugins needed

Clouds

Splinter (in blurs)

Ripple (distorsions)

Relief (stylize)

Colour flip rotate (colors)

Colour balance( adjustments)

Rotate/zoom (layers)

Tile reflection (distortion)

You must have been looking at other tutorials, because most of them also name the plugins, but some of those aren't plugins, there built-in, are you using the most recent version of PDN or was that just a mistake?

Will post end result later.

edit: Result:

yhsjjie-7.png

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

Wow guys u did it better than me, the colour looks much better.

And for "himself22" yes u r right, it was a mistake for which im sorry

So, fix it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi. Can someone help me out? I don't have adjustments->Color balance (her instructions). She lists it in the plugins ("Colour Balance (Adjustments)"). Which of these plugins (from the pdf index) does she mean? Color Balance (BoldBait); Color Balance MIX (DeathStar); Color Balance+ (dpy). I'd rather not have to install/uninstall all these to find it. Thanks. (I'm using paint.net v.3.5.4)

Hi. Can someone help me out? I don't have adjustments->Color balance (her instructions). She lists it in the plugins ("Colour Balance (Adjustments)"). Which of these plugins (from the pdf index) does she mean? Color Balance (BoldBait); Color Balance MIX (DeathStar); Color Balance+ (dpy). I'd rather not have to install/uninstall all these to find it. Thanks. (I'm using paint.net v.3.5.4)

Oh, never mind. I see "BoltBait" in small print on her example image.

Hi, I'm trying to make a sculpture (photo of one) look like it's made of chocolate. I searched the forum, and this is the only "chocolate" match I find. I tried the color flip/rotate, color balance described here, but I don't get the color she gets above. (We are not starting from the same place...) I tried playing with the sliders (color balance), but nothing looks at all like chocolate.

Btw, I selected the same option in color flip/rotate as above. I didn't try other ones. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, chocolate is one of those evil things for this. A lot of people use ray-tracing (something PDN doesn't do) to get the right highlights and effects because of the basic characteristics of the substance involved. Its waxy, glossy and muted all at the same time and has a tendency to absorb and reflect light ... I just stared at a piece of chocolate and moved it around even (darn Christmas stocking stuffers) ...

So a quick look at the tut shows that you get this color by converting black to a hexadecimal of 180000 ...

So basically if you are looking for the base color to work from, start with the color more option and change it to that number under the hexadecimal. Most chocolate is not really brown but reddish in nature as well. Another trick of the eye you have to fight with.

Also, when possible look into posting the source image you are trying to bend this idea to in a new thread in the questions and discussion thread for more help on how to possibly get closer to working the image to your liking. And keep in mind a quick update to 3.5.10 is helpful for reasons beyond the forum rules about using the current version.

Using that color on a basic gradient with minor distortion to create a square. Obviously its missing key highlights etc. But it shows a basic chocolate like coloration.

th_chocolatecolor2.jpg

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

For a chocolate person, I find xmario's How to make glass object tutorial more suitable.

Cut a person out of photo, then...

1. Adjustments > Black and White (if not already in B&W).

2. Follow the glass object tutorial up to where you apply Curves (step 5).

3. After applying Curves, with the selection still active, add a new layer and fill the selection with hex 180000 colour (as delpart so cleverly deduced at his post above) to make a silhouette of the person.

4. Fiddle with the oder of the two layers (glass object and silhouette), blending modes and opacity to get a result you like or can live with.

For example, I started with this photo of Cadbury's big boss (Karft Foods owns Cadbury)...

and came up with this...

2ec3hmp.png

and this..

a3plic.png

More experienced and better artists will sure come up with better results but you get the idea.

Xkds4Lh.png