How to Convert Black & White Negatives to Photos?

Are they only black and white or greyscale? Do you want your photo's to have colour or not? If you just want to turn them into positives try this:

Open your image in PDN (Paint.NET)

Press shift+control+i.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

Boude,

Thank you very much. Shift, control & i worked just fine. Is that a short cut to a standard Paint.Net command?

I had not thought of the actual color of the scanned negatives. I guess that they are greyscale rather than black and white, but I am not 100% sure that is correct.

Given that they are negatives without color, how would I go about trying to make them color photos?

Thanks for you help.

Given that they are negatives without color, how would I go about trying to make them color photos?

Try this plugin by pyrochild: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25300&start=0

What it does is allows you to import a palette from another image. All you need to do is find a somewhat similar photo and use it to recolor your B&W image.

Actually I'm guessing it will work on B&W :!:

EER,

Thank you for that information and the link. I appreciate that.

Actually, I do not have any photos like these newly scanned negatives. I was really trying to learn whether there is a command within Paint.Net that could be used to "colorize" the black & white photos. Paint.Net is such a good program that I thought perhaps there is a "miracle" button hidden in it.

Shift+control+i is the shortcut for invert colors, this can be found in the adjustments drop-down menu.

One problem with coloring greyscale images is that PDN hasn't enough information to color the image; for every pixel he has only 1 average of the 3 variables he normally has, so to color it PDN would have to guess the color based on what is in the image, so PDN would need object recognising for this, which is very complicated, and it would have to know the colors of the object it recognises and it would have to deal with lighting. So it's logical that PDN doesn't have a function like that, sorry.

You can try to color it manually, by selecting the object and playing around with curves or something like that.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.