What computer/monitor/OS do you use?

I like Acer (products and company).

The out-of-the-box desktops tend to be similarly priced to Dell, but have higher specs.

Laptop comparisons seem to follow the same lines.

I like Acer (products and company).

The out-of-the-box desktops tend to be similarly priced to Dell, but have higher specs.

Laptop comparisons seem to follow the same lines.

I'm on my 2nd Dell workstation. I gave my old one to my part time worker and it's still in top shape. Xeon chips and really fast SCSI drives are really appreciated when you are working with map data that is 390+ square miles per map layer (10 to 15 layers at a time plus high res aerial photos). I would suggest getting a video card with as much memory as you can afford. I purchased my new workstation from the Dell outlet site, http://www.dell.com/outlet?dgc=ST&cid=20497&lid=661008 and saved quite a bit. As for laptops I like my Dell Precision M2300 pretty well, but the small screen is not really ideal for large images, but I get by. Sometimes I miss my last laptop's larger screen. Sigh. I just bought my wife a used IBM Intellistation Pro Z with a quad core Xeon chip, 3 gig of ram and a SCSI drive that runs at 15,000 rpm. It is a beast ! (Now if she would let me do just a few images on it....)

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

I'm on my 2nd Dell workstation. I gave my old one to my part time worker and it's still in top shape. Xeon chips and really fast SCSI drives are really appreciated when you are working with map data that is 390+ square miles per map layer (10 to 15 layers at a time plus high res aerial photos). I would suggest getting a video card with as much memory as you can afford. I purchased my new workstation from the Dell outlet site, http://www.dell.com/outlet?dgc=ST&cid=20497&lid=661008 and saved quite a bit. As for laptops I like my Dell Precision M2300 pretty well, but the small screen is not really ideal for large images, but I get by. Sometimes I miss my last laptop's larger screen. Sigh. I just bought my wife a used IBM Intellistation Pro Z with a quad core Xeon chip, 3 gig of ram and a SCSI drive that runs at 15,000 rpm. It is a beast ! (Now if she would let me do just a few images on it....)

WOW, that intellistation sounds very nice...what did you pay for it?

codeembersig.png

-I may have not been here when you passed away, but you will be missed.-

codeembersig.png

codeembersig.png

You will hate me when I tell you. Like I said it is used and about two years old. I paid $259 for the CPU and $98 for the 19" flat panel monitor plus about $45 for shipping. It did not come with a keyboard, mouse, speakers, or operating system, but I had those from her old system. It was a pain to set up because the HD had been wiped and I need to download all of the IBM drivers. Thanks to my best buddy who set up the hard drive, SCSI controller.