27 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Out of curiosity:  how did I get the current list?

What's listed in the Plugin Browser are the plugins you have installed. Those are loaded from disk.

The downloaded Index provides a list of plugins you don't have installed.

2 hours ago, GeorgeB said:

Out of curiousity:  how did I get the current list?

The location of the Plugin Index data has recently changed. It used to be hosted on this forum (Plugin Browser was parsing the PDF in the first post of this thread). Now the data is hosted on GitHub. I wonder if the location change was enough to trigger your error?

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

What's listed in the Plugin Browser are the plugins you have installed. Those are loaded from disk.

The downloaded Index provides a list of plugins you don't have installed.

toe_head:  Okay, now that makes sense.  Even I can understand it.  😁   And I'm happy to live with following this topic and PDF plugin listing.

32 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The location of the Plugin Index data has recently changed. It used to be hosted on this forum (Plugin Browser was parsing the PDF in the first post of this thread). Now the data is hosted on GitHub. I wonder if the location change was enough to trigger your error?

EER:  See my reply to toe_head, I now understand how this plugin works at the user level.  (I haven't used the Plugin Browser in a long, long time.  I may have known this back in olden times, it rings a tiny bell.).  And now I wonder if MS will apply it's magic sauce to GitHub, make it work oh so much better?

Thanks to you both for the quick, patient and useful replies.

--George

Update!

First time I'm posting an update here haha.

I bring a performance enhancement to the Plugin Index by pre-loading the data into the page with Jekyll so that there is no need to fetch the data after page load. You should see the plugins on the page now without any delay!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4