Sign in to follow this  
worldnewser

Video Gaming Thread

I don't think you can compare RDR and Mario Galaxy...

@ CMD:

Why is that counterproductive? BC2 maps are way too large to make camping rewarding...

So, lemme get this straight - you're unhappy with the amount of camping in MW, so you switched to Battlefield? That seems counterproductive...

Hmm..yeah I see what you're saying. I'm not really fed up with the camping in MW2, I'm more irritated with the non-stop noobtubing that goes on in every single game mode (I mean, noobtubing the spawn in Search and Destroy? Jeez). Noobtubes in BC2 seem more nerfed. Also I don't really encounter ridiculous "sit in one spot of the map all day" camping in BC2 that much.

Besides the snipers of course, but for some reason I'm okay with it. They really need to get headshots to get kills, and it's pretty hard to hit moving targets, so it seems like it forces people to move around and not sit around for too long. Compare this with MW2 snipers, where you have cheeky no-scopes etc. To me, snipers are much more suited for the wide open maps in BC2 than the quick paced, medium sized maps in MW2.

I'll admit to not playing much of either of the Bad Company games, but I played a bit of 1943, and it was just snipers, snipers, and more snipers. What little I played of Bad Company 1 turned me off of the series completely.

I'll also admit to being a bit of a camper in MW2, but only on certain maps. >_>

So, I downloaded "Resurgence." Not disappointed by Carnival, a map which was worth the whole map pack, to be sure. But then I got online.

I wanted to play the new maps, so I chose a Resurgence mixed playlist. I joined a Demolition game on Vacant, which was already in progress.

And promptly spawned in to a spawn kill by one of THREE (3) AC130 helicopters on the other team.

I mashed X and respawned, dying again before I moved ten feet. I changed classes to my Stinger Missile class, and respawned. Died again, three seconds. Mash X, respawn. Tried to make it inside; got sniped by the opposing team inside. Mash X. Three spawn kills in a row.

I actually watched the killcam this time, basically just so I could think to myself, "WTH is going ON?!?"

I spawned in again and hit Select to bring up the leaderboard. The top killer had two hundred forty-three kills. The next two had well over 150; anyone who hadn't just spawned in had more than fifty. In this game alone. Flabbergasted, I wondered how this was possible (At this point, the rain of fire from the AC130s had ended). So I hit start to bring up the large map.

No objectives. At all. In Demolition, you're supposed to destroy something with these special explosives. But in this game, some sort of bug had allowed the game to begin without any objectives. So the players had just been killing each other over and over and over again, respawning ad nauseaum (because there's no death limit or time limit in an objective game). And picked up all of their killstreaks, and were using them dutifully.

Absolutely ridiculous. Incredibly comical. And more than a little bit bizarre for Infinity Ward, a company who usually prides themselves on building good, tight games with few minor bugs and even fewer major ones.

So, I downloaded "Resurgence." Not disappointed by Carnival, a map which was worth the whole map pack, to be sure. But then I got online.

I wanted to play the new maps, so I chose a Resurgence mixed playlist. I joined a Demolition game on Vacant, which was already in progress.

And promptly spawned in to a spawn kill by one of THREE (3) AC130 helicopters on the other team.

I mashed X and respawned, dying again before I moved ten feet. I changed classes to my Stinger Missile class, and respawned. Died again, three seconds. Mash X, respawn. Tried to make it inside; got sniped by the opposing team inside. Mash X. Three spawn kills in a row.

I actually watched the killcam this time, basically just so I could think to myself, "WTH is going ON?!?"

I spawned in again and hit Select to bring up the leaderboard. The top killer had two hundred forty-three kills. The next two had well over 150; anyone who hadn't just spawned in had more than fifty. In this game alone. Flabbergasted, I wondered how this was possible (At this point, the rain of fire from the AC130s had ended). So I hit start to bring up the large map.

No objectives. At all. In Demolition, you're supposed to destroy something with these special explosives. But in this game, some sort of bug had allowed the game to begin without any objectives. So the players had just been killing each other over and over and over again, respawning ad nauseaum (because there's no death limit or time limit in an objective game). And picked up all of their killstreaks, and were using them dutifully.

Absolutely ridiculous. Incredibly comical. And more than a little bit bizarre for Infinity Ward, a company who usually prides themselves on building good, tight games with few minor bugs and even fewer major ones.

Infinity Ward is basically dead. Most of the important staff has already left, so I'm not expecting any fixes etc.

Also, Demolition is practically a kill=fest. NextGenTactics basically showed a tutorial as to how to get super XP by lengthening the time limit as much as possible.

I don't think I'm going to bother buying the Resurgence map pack when it comes out for PS3. I feel cheated out of the stimulus pack. I'm still trying to find decent rush strategies for Storm :/ I could do much more with $15 IMO

That's actually my only complaint (and it's not much of a complaint, as I found it pretty funny and got a good story out of it :P).

As for Resurgence as a whole, I'm a big fan of it. Carnival is quirky and excellently laid out, Vacant and Strike are of course classic, Fuel is MASSIVE, and Trailer Park is one heckuva fun time.

I even tried Demolition again, and it worked just fine. IW might be dead, but they're still releasing some pretty good stuff. Can't wait to see what Treyarch does with Black Ops, but I still like MW2 a lot.

Meh. I passed on both of the map packs for Modern Warfare 2 so far. I can afford them, but $15 for each map pack isn't worth it for me. I'm not playing the game that much and neither are my friends.

I just find it awkward for them to call the first map pack a "stimulus pack" and price it at $15 which is quite high...

Nabbed the last copy of MGS: PEace Walker Limited Edition at Gamestop. I quite like the MGS franchise (considering how I started with MGS4 and worked my way backwards), and this game's pretty good. Only qualm I have about it is the control scheme. Hard to control at times, but I guess it comes with the territory for a handheld gamin system. The presence of Ad-Hoc multiplayer over online was also a poor choice IMO. IGN mentions how co-op is emphasized for this game in particular....I really hope I don't get stuck halfway through the game because a boss is to hard to beat by myself :/ .

Hideo Kojima's going to be at Union Square, NY on Friday. I'm going to get this thing autographed for sure :)

Edited by worldnewser

It's E3 time again! Definitely making time to watch the live-streams this week. :D

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that this year's E3 will be full of unnecessary motion technology. Given my aversion to motion tech in general, it'll take a lot for Move and/or Kinect to win me over...

I don't know what it is with these motion platforms, but their names always seem to suck when they're actually released. Nintendo "Revolution" was a heck of a lot better than "Wii", Sony's "Move" was rumored to be "Arc", which would have been pretty cool, and absolutely anything is better than Microsoft "Kinect".

Lots of good looking stuff at E3 this year.

Surprised by the 3 new Star Wars titles, and Lucas Arts making the new Monkey Island

In contrast, there's been hardly anything "new" or original announced at E3 so far - nothing that looks to be really "great".

Microsoft's conference was horrible (Greys of War 3 and Halo:Reach, while they will both be fun, we already know a decent amount about them; the only thing new was space combat in Reach) and that the Natal lineup (I am never going to call it "Kinect") for launch is absouletely dreadful, with it being a mashup of everything available on the Wii for "casual gaming".

At least the EA conference didn't have as much time spent on casual gaming, but the only new thing there was that OTT top game partly made by the Painkiller team - so that should probably turn out to be quite interesting. In addition, while the Star Wars MMO looked really good, I honestly doubt it working as shown in the trailer - it's basically been proven to have been pre-rendered.

While I didn't watch the Ubisoft conference, I've heard from some people that it was even worse than the MS one, so :/

So, if I remember right, we have Sony and Nintendo to go. Here's hoping they don't spend 2/3rds of their conferences showing off pointless motion tech (I think it takes less effort to make a analog stick than to move your hand to select something)

(As a FYI, you can probably tell that I'm a "hardcore" gamer as such; if you aren't one, then you probably enjoyed E3 loads)

^ Sony's will only be half motion-tech. The other half will be pie charts showing how many PS2 hardware and software sales they have to date. ;)

But yeah, the MSoft presser was horrid. I'm interested in the exclusive Crytek title, but they didn't really show anything about it. Beyond that, it was forced, scripted, "people having fun with Kinect" dialog. I guarantee that the Venn Diagram overlap of the market for that kind of "magical experience" and the demographic that watches E3 press conferences is minuscule at best, so I really don't know what they were hoping to accomplish.

The EA press conference was alright - Bulletstorm looks pretty interesting, and that's about the only thing I really remember, other than the fact that they called the new Medal of Honor "Medal of Honor". I hate it when people "reboot" franchises like that.

And I fell asleep before the Ubisoft presser started, so I didn't see it. >_>

^ Sony's will only be half motion-tech. The other half will be pie charts showing how many PS2 hardware and software sales they have to date. ;

Hah, I wish the PS2 wasn't dead so that it was easier to get a hold of games for it, like the updated Metal Gears, SMT: Nocturne (I refuse to call it by it's EU name) and Shadow of the Collusus.

Also, Ninty's about to start; I can't say I'm excited for it.

Nintendo blew the socks off Microsoft, that's for sure. I'm not sure what to expect from Sony, but they'd have to do something pretty big to top that. Like sending a PS3 to my house.

I'd definitely dig a PSP2 announcement, provided it had a second analog stick. Also, let's hope for more MGS:Rising coverage from the Sony event, because the short slot MSoft gave it didn't really show me enough to convince me one way or the other.

AWESOME conference. Really. Sony can't top that, Nintendo just stole all their exclusives (MG, FF). It's almost unfair.

MGS hasn't been a Sony exclusive for a while now. MGS2 was on XBOX, MGS was remade as "The Twin Snakes" for GameCube, there was an original MGS for GameBoy Color, and there was an MGS4-inspired iPhone game. MGS:Rising marks the first time an MGS game will be released day-and-date on more than one system, but this isn't the first time a Nintendo handheld has received an exclusive MGS title.

From what I see, MGS:Rising doesn't look quite like a "traditional" MGS stealth game. To be honest, I kept thinking about dicing onions the more I watched. Hmm.

Also, the Goldeneye remake looks...interesting. It supports the classic controller, so I might actually get it if I see more info of it in the future.

EDIT: Gran Turismo 5 has a release date. :XD:

Edited by worldnewser

the new NEED FOR SPEED was unveiled yesterday. its called HOT PURSUIT, yes yes, it already exists but its named the same and based off of the original hot pursuit (with the cop chase player gameplay). looks quite good

and PORTAL 2, yay, looks fun, cant wait to play it