Halftones for the use of shading

Hey everyone, I'm new here, obviously, but have been using Paint.NET for about a year now. Great program and I'm becoming more and more familiar with it everyday. I do have a question though concerning halftones. Before you shoot me the link to the tutorial, I've already gone over it and tried numerous things to get the effect I want, but I still have yet to get the results.

And that's why I'm here!

I'm trying to apply the halftone technique (using the Grid Effect) to shading. I want to shade a cartoon-ish image with a halftone because there are color requirements for the project. I've selected the desired area for shading with the magic wand and lasso tool and I've applied the grid to the selection and have turned those checkers into dots. The problem is I can't get the dots to reduce in size with the gradient. I want that 'fade' look, but the gradient is merely cutting the dots off clean.

Here's as far as I can get. It's not horrible, but that little bit would help a lot.

turtlehalftone-2.jpg

Anyone have any advice for me?

Hey everyone, I'm new here, obviously, but have been using Paint.NET for about a year now. Great program and I'm becoming more and more familiar with it everyday. I do have a question though concerning halftones. Before you shoot me the link to the tutorial, I've already gone over it and tried numerous things to get the effect I want, but I still have yet to get the results.

And that's why I'm here!

I'm trying to apply the halftone technique (using the Grid Effect) to shading. I want to shade a cartoon-ish image with a halftone because there are color requirements for the project. I've selected the desired area for shading with the magic wand and lasso tool and I've applied the grid to the selection and have turned those checkers into dots. The problem is I can't get the dots to reduce in size with the gradient. I want that 'fade' look, but the gradient is merely cutting the dots off clean.

Here's as far as I can get. It's not horrible, but that little bit would help a lot.

turtlehalftone-2.jpg

And that's why I'm here!

turtlehalftone-2.jpg

And that's why I'm here!

turtlehalftone-2.jpg

Hmm...I found Ed Harvey's Plugin, which makes it much easier to get the halftone, but I still can't find an explanation for how to gradually reduce the size of the dots. I've experimented a ton and searched a ton of different terms, so don't shoot me about that.

It's so frustrating. I figured a simple gradient in a new layer set to reflect would do the trick, but it does nothing.

EDIT: Figured it out! It was all in the Gaussian Blur. Thanks for the plugin though. That'll save me a lot of time. :D

Hmm...I found Ed Harvey's Plugin, which makes it much easier to get the halftone, but I still can't find an explanation for how to gradually reduce the size of the dots. I've experimented a ton and searched a ton of different terms, so don't shoot me about that.

It's so frustrating. I figured a simple gradient in a new layer set to reflect would do the trick, but it does nothing.

EDIT: Figured it out! It was all in the Gaussian Blur. Thanks for the plugin though. That'll save me a lot of time. :D

• 5 months later...

sorry for the late reply but could you help me on how you did that

It would be appreciated

kurtsig.png

{deviantART} {gallery} {website coming soon}

sorry for the late reply but could you help me on how you did that

It would be appreciated

Hagnii hasn't been around for quite a few months, so it is unlikely that you're going to get a reply to your query. This is one of the reasons why we have the [rule=11]No Necroposting[/rule] rule.

I suggest you ask again by starting a new topic :)