line tool...more than 4 dots?

Sorry if this is a silly question but sometimes when I'm using the line tool and a want more than 4 curves on the line it gets annoying so I have to start a new line which might not line up with the other line.

This might turn into a request if PDN doesn't have it already. :D

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

That's a pretty common request, actually...Paint.NET's strengths are in raster (pixel-based) editing, and the type of functionality you're asking about is vector-based. Rick has stated before that vector support is not something that will be a feature any time soon (if at all).

If you're looking for something to draw complex curves or shapes (and manipulate them) that you can then import into Paint.NET, give Inkscape a try.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

You can also change the curves as they stand into Bezier curves, which give them more functionality than the standard curves.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

New layer, new line. Place two nubs over the end of the previous line & extend from there. Then you'll have to get creative with the eraser :wink:

If four nubs isn't enough, how many would you like 6? 8??

I'd love to have the nubs evenly spaced along the line - the longer the line, the more nubs!

I have been using the line tool extensively. And I think 4 dots are just about right. It would be nice to be able to chose, but I would rather have some kind of tool or feature that would make it easier to join two lines.

Say, a feature that made it possible to hold down a key, and then the new line started at the exact end of the previously drawn line. (The one nearest the mouse pointer.)

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

How about nubs that can be added and removed - like control points in Curves?

Click to create, right click to remove. 8)

Now we're getting back to the idea of having vector-based editing. nubs, control points, splines, etc (things that let you adjust the curvature of a line in a mathematical way, basically) are tools for vector manipulation. If you want that type of editing/drawing tool, try Inkscape. Make your shapes, export to png, and use them in Paint.NET.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I was just daydreaming, *lies on floor and starts daydreaming* line tool with more than eight dots in Paint.Net, isn't it such a nice day? *images himself running through a field with his computer with him and him selecting how many dots he can have on the line tool*

Photobucket sucks!

• 1 month later...

hate to bring this back to life, especially on my first post... but...

it would really be great to have more than just 4 points.

i use paint.net because of one reason, and this is the only reason, it has a curve tool. i have photoshop, but cant figure out how to make a curve with the pen tool... so im painting the base paint in Paint.net then taking that texture and applying it to the paint layer in photoshop.

now what i work on are large files, normally 3000w X 500-750tall (pixels). they are paint kits for aircraft for Flight Simulator.

now i have my own virtual airline so we have our own paint, and the whole scheme is based on curves. and these arent even complicated curves. but because of the size of the files, with only four points, you can see where the middle two are.

here is an example of my airline's livery and a livery i just did a few days ago of the Delta Habitat For Humanity aircraft in the new colors (its for the PMDG 767 and will be released to Avsim within the next few days if anyone here plays FS and wants it).

mine (ill probably have to redo this one):

NEAnormbase.jpg

the Delta HFH:

leftleveldcopy-1.jpg

i wouldnt want to see how you make curves change, but just have more possible points added. now i understand it wont change for just me, but i hope it will lol. i know its not just me doing the specific process i mention (using paint to make the base and then importing into photoshop because they cant do it in there in the first place) for painting aircraft because ive thought some people how to do it this way and they have all said the same thing. I hope something will come of this.

....we could use the Polygon Tool, but it won't be as smooth.

we could delete the angles than fix it with the brush tool, that's probrably the closest we could get unless we use a different program.

...OR we could use Simon Browns plugin that other app.... with Inkscape, but I sadly never got that working.

Photobucket sucks!